Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me why I should buy a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 PM

I've had my 2014 Sport for a little over 2 weeks now and am quite happy with it in general, the base radio leaves a lot to be desired, I have to play it at about 70% volume to hear it on the road. The car handles great and the brakes are very good, the ride is comfortable. The 2.0, 6 spd manual gets over 31mpg by the dash gauge and has enough zip to get around fine. I traded a 2012 mustang with a 3.7(305 hp), 6 spd manual in on it. I actually feel the CX-5 is much more stable than the stang was. It just drives better, but it's about 4 seconds slower to 60mph. I have replace the stock speaker, the next thing is a HU and likely a small amp. I really like the way the car looks, for a CUV it is pretty sharp. Why should you buy one, I don't know I,m not you!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM

If you are going to buy one wair for the 2015s then buy a 2.5 14 GT for less than $25K. You can get a 2013 GT for less than $23K Trade value is $21,000. And 15s are around the corner. Mazda really screwed first year buyers. I wanted a CX when they first came out but first year models are a no no for me and they were too popular to get a great deal on. Used 13s are a bargain bin vehicle now but not worth the tech issues or the 2.0. The early 2015s will kill their resale value.

I bought a 2012 Venza instead as a place holder. At least it was a $32K vehicle with good reliability and a badge that is respected for reliable vehicles. Paid $22,900 with 28K Leather NAv, JBL. Lots of room. The 4 banger is a solid performer for those who don't live in hilly places or tow. The six has plenty of giddy up and reserve power but like Tacomas will suck a lot of dollars in the fuel tank. Toyotas are easy private sales as well. No need to trade. Plenty of buyers looking for used Toyotas for a good KBB. Sold two of them for $3000 more than dealer trade and $2000 more than Carmax offered.

I would wait until Mazda works out all the first year kinks. Especially in the tech department. CX-5 is a nice car but will get much much better....

The Mazda 3 is sweet as well but again a first year model and I'd bet one will be able to buy a GT for less than $20K in a year with low miles.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Default Very Coherent SevenMidgets!

Originally Posted by SevenMidgets
If you are going to buy one wair for the 2015s then buy a 2.5 14 GT for less than $25K. You can get a 2013 GT for less than $23K Trade value is $21,000. And 15s are around the corner. Mazda really screwed first year buyers. I wanted a CX when they first came out but first year models are a no no for me and they were too popular to get a great deal on. Used 13s are a bargain bin vehicle now but not worth the tech issues or the 2.0. The early 2015s will kill their resale value.

I bought a 2012 Venza instead as a place holder. At least it was a $32K vehicle with good reliability and a badge that is respected for reliable vehicles. Paid $22,900 with 28K Leather NAv, JBL. Lots of room. The 4 banger is a solid performer for those who don't live in hilly places or tow. The six has plenty of giddy up and reserve power but like Tacomas will suck a lot of dollars in the fuel tank. Toyotas are easy private sales as well. No need to trade. Plenty of buyers looking for used Toyotas for a good KBB. Sold two of them for $3000 more than dealer trade and $2000 more than Carmax offered.

I would wait until Mazda works out all the first year kinks. Especially in the tech department. CX-5 is a nice car but will get much much better....

The Mazda 3 is sweet as well but again a first year model and I'd bet one will be able to buy a GT for less than $20K in a year with low miles.
Excellent stuff, SevenMidgets. I test drove the 2014 CX-5 and liked it. However it was a pretty limited drive and not one that would help me make my final decision

While at the Mazda dealership, I sat in a 2014 Mazda6 iTouring. For some reason, the interior environment felt much more buttoned-up and serene. I'm all over the place on what I want my next vehicle to be...flipping between sedans and compact SUV's.

I drove the Venza and really liked it...except for the quality of the leather and visibility. If I were buying the Venza, it would be a used one. One thing about pre-2013 models was the lack of a dark interior. It's either a whitish-gray or a very light tan. Also the fit-and-finish of interior bits was questionable and disappointing.

But I love the room inside the Venza...especially the rear legroom. And I agree with you...the Toyota resale is pretty good. What's amazing is that you can buy a base 2013 for around $19,000. That's a pretty sweet deal.

I had previously driven a 2014 Mazda6. Loved everything about it except for the wind noise in the A-pillar. I hope that Mazda gets it together. I pointed it out to the salesman, and he said that every car has wind noise Please!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by hoppysport
Excellent stuff, SevenMidgets. I test drove the 2014 CX-5 and liked it. However it was a pretty limited drive and not one that would help me make my final decision

While at the Mazda dealership, I sat in a 2014 Mazda6 iTouring. For some reason, the interior environment felt much more buttoned-up and serene. I'm all over the place on what I want my next vehicle to be...flipping between sedans and compact SUV's.

I drove the Venza and really liked it...except for the quality of the leather and visibility. If I were buying the Venza, it would be a used one. One thing about pre-2013 models was the lack of a dark interior. It's either a whitish-gray or a very light tan. Also the fit-and-finish of interior bits was questionable and disappointing.

But I love the room inside the Venza...especially the rear legroom. And I agree with you...the Toyota resale is pretty good. What's amazing is that you can buy a base 2013 for around $19,000. That's a pretty sweet deal.

I had previously driven a 2014 Mazda6. Loved everything about it except for the wind noise in the A-pillar. I hope that Mazda gets it together. I pointed it out to the salesman, and he said that every car has wind noise Please!
Yep you are right on every point. The Venza has light leather but like most of today;s cars it's vinyl coated so it does not stain as easily as a premium leathered car. THe tech is perfect though from the JBL tpo BT to iPOD and NAV. not a glitch. Toyota did that right. The keyless entry is better than the infiniti. All you do is walk up to the car and the interior lights come on and the drivers door opens. The hatch can be opened while walking a Costco cart up to it. I would only buy the XLE Venza and not the 20" wheels. The 19s are not as smooth as I though I cannot imagine the 20" wheel ride. The six is nice but because if the size of the car it feels like it wallows rather than drives.

There is no need for the 6 cyl IMO unless one is towing. Then its a must. Otherwise it's a faster slug.

I have given up on the CX-5 because Mazda is just killing resale values by releasing all these beta versions and now a 2015 8 months before everyone else. The 2013s GTs are already selling for $10K less than new. Mazda is screwing their most loyal early adopters with no 2.5 option and shoddy tech.

I had my eyes set on a Mazda 3 Touring s model but after watching the CX5 debacle I decided to take a wait and see approach. The Venza is a great place hold in that regard. It's not a Lexus inside no...LOL But i can drop a fry with catsup on the seats and not panic. Feels like driving a desk or couch....LOL I can think of many sedans I would buy before the Mazda 6. A used 2011 Infiniti G37 journey with 24K for $21,000 comes to mind.

But the Venza is a good choice for someone who wants a small pick up without having a small pick up.

Good Luck in your quest!!!

Last edited by SevenMidgets; 03-01-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:14 AM
Default Great Venza Info and Options

Thanks so much SevenMidgets on your Venza insight. Because of direct injection and wind noise worries, the CX-5 is off the table...for now. I'm buying this Spring and will revisit the 2015 which will be out.

I actually drove a black 2013 Venza LE base this week. It had the black cloth interior that was actually pretty nice. T.

2013's have a much nicer base radio with standard backup camera on the big screen. I see that I can buy a used 2013 Venza with about 15,000 miles, 4-cylinder, 19" wheels for around $18,000. That's a pretty sweet deal and ride.

I don't understand the hate for the Venza. It's not a sports sedan. We know that. But the ride is compliant, isn't sloppy, and is pretty quiet. I really like the interior also. Plus it will go 200,000 relatively trouble-free miles...which i got from my 1991 Cressida, which i recently sold for $6200...and it needed a head gasket.

My 1982 Volvo which I sold with 176,000 miles in 1991 is still on the road. Ditto for my friends 1982 Saab 900 Turbo which currently has 285,000 miles.

A friend is selling his 2009 black on black Saab 9-5 Aero wagon this Spring and I'm considering that. Another thing to throw into the fray to confuse. But the car has 58,000 miles and has been meticulously maintained. For $11,500 it's very tempting.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by hoppysport
Thanks so much SevenMidgets on your Venza insight. Because of direct injection and wind noise worries, the CX-5 is off the table...for now. I'm buying this Spring and will revisit the 2015 which will be out.

I actually drove a black 2013 Venza LE base this week. It had the black cloth interior that was actually pretty nice. T.

2013's have a much nicer base radio with standard backup camera on the big screen. I see that I can buy a used 2013 Venza with about 15,000 miles, 4-cylinder, 19" wheels for around $18,000. That's a pretty sweet deal and ride.

I don't understand the hate for the Venza. It's not a sports sedan. We know that. But the ride is compliant, isn't sloppy, and is pretty quiet. I really like the interior also. Plus it will go 200,000 relatively trouble-free miles...which i got from my 1991 Cressida, which i recently sold for $6200...and it needed a head gasket.

My 1982 Volvo which I sold with 176,000 miles in 1991 is still on the road. Ditto for my friends 1982 Saab 900 Turbo which currently has 285,000 miles.

A friend is selling his 2009 black on black Saab 9-5 Aero wagon this Spring and I'm considering that. Another thing to throw into the fray to confuse. But the car has 58,000 miles and has been meticulously maintained. For $11,500 it's very tempting.
Direction injection, wind noise, tech problems? Direct injection is why CX-5 gets such great fuel mileage. It allows them to run 13:1 compression on 87 octane gas (along with 4-2-1 header). Wind noise is not that bad to me. Tech problems with radio are minor relative to the value the CX-5. What other SUV gets 25mpg in the city, 0-60mph in 7.4 seconds, and can tow 2000#? Hybrid or diesel? Those are much more expensive to own and maintain.

Be careful with the Venza. It has same notorious V6 as the Rav4 and rides like a boat in a storm. Toyota reliability has slipped as they have grown.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by CC58
Direction injection, wind noise, tech problems? Direct injection is why CX-5 gets such great fuel mileage. It allows them to run 13:1 compression on 87 octane gas (along with 4-2-1 header). Wind noise is not that bad to me. Tech problems with radio are minor relative to the value the CX-5. What other SUV gets 25mpg in the city, 0-60mph in 7.4 seconds, and can tow 2000#? Hybrid or diesel? Those are much more expensive to own and maintain.

Be careful with the Venza. It has same notorious V6 as the Rav4 and rides like a boat in a storm. Toyota reliability has slipped as they have grown.
I spent two weeks in a Venza this summer. The car had the room of a smaller car and the ride of a crappy wagon. Gas milage was OK (all highway) but nothing great. The Venza was very similar to my Honda. Reliable (maybe for the Venza) but no other redeeming value.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 AM

I've had my new CX-5 for a month and a half and I never even notice the wind noise. Maybe Mazda did some changes in the 2014.5, but I find it amply quiet. I noticed wind noise much more in my old Mitsubishi Outlander. The only downside I've found so far is that Bluetooth seems to shuffle even when I don't have my phone set to shuffle the music and the rather the rather irritating and pointless disclaimer screen on the TomTom each time it starts up.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Talking Almost perfect

Buy a CX5 because it is the best value for the money of any CUV available! Get the 2.5 engine and you won't be disappointed.....Now if they would just fix the stupid Bluetooth problem.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM

I don't know if the original poster is still looking but I had been looking since mid-February for a new car and we eventually landed on the CX-5. I have an extensive road racing past and come from a family of car enthusiasts so I know vehicles both in terms of quality and mechanical feel. Once my wife decided on a compact crossover (I wanted a sedan but it was her call since it would be her car)the search began. We test drove every car in this class and can say we put a lot of effort into this decision. In the end we went with the Mazda, although each car had it's positives and negatives, the CX-5 hit the high points on the more important features (for our needs anyway) than the others.

Clearly selecting a car is a personal choice but if you read all the reviews in print and on Youtube the Mazda is always near or at the top of the list.

Good luck on your search!