Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Tell me why I should buy a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Default Tell me why I should buy a CX-5

Hey All,

Brand new here and am currently thinking of purchasing a cx-5 for our next vehicle. This would be replacing our 1999 Jeep Wrangler, so it is a bit of an upgrade, as far as age and technology goes. We are looking at getting a 2013 CX-5, and I would just like to be convinced of why I should be buying a Mazda.

Any information you can provide would be greatly helpful in my search for a new vehicle. Also, any details about what I should be watching out for when shopping for CX-5's would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance,
Shane

Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM

I'm awaiting delivery of mine, which will be this week. I loved the styling, the fuel economy most have reported, the way you can release the rear seats from the hatch area and the safety features. I test drove it after reading up on it, and that was what convinced me. I found it very comfortable and with good acceleration on the 2.5L engine. I eased onto a local freeway without any hesitation. The blind spot monitor on the mirror is great. Another thing I tested was waiting for a vehicle to be on my left, then putting on my left turn signal. The CX-5 started beeping at me to let me know it was not safe. After getting comfortable with its feel, I tried the Bose sound system. Some don't like it, but to me it sounded excellent. I also like the instrument layout and easily recognizable, large controls on the steering wheel, unlike the Mitsubishi I tested. City driving was just as pleasurable and it felt very zippy, more like a sports car. Driving it was lots of fun and I think it has a very confident feel to it. My test drive gave it a 10! Backing up at the dealership, I tested the rear camera, which I feel to be a great feature as sometimes you find yourself backing an SUV up and without clear distance view of smaller vehicles behind, or when parking.

Many have commented on the flaky USB performance with an iPod or not connecting very fast, apparently restarting at each playlist, and some dislikes about the 'safety' feature which won't let a passenger reprogram the navigation system when in motion. If those are features which are key to you, perhaps you should try those out for yourself. For me, those are somewhat secondary as I usually plan my routes ahead of time. I also did not try connecting my phone to the sound system. For me those features are great, but secondary to the driving experience and reliability.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by shaner3721
Hey All,

Brand new here and am currently thinking of purchasing a cx-5 for our next vehicle. This would be replacing our 1999 Jeep Wrangler, so it is a bit of an upgrade, as far as age and technology goes. We are looking at getting a 2013 CX-5, and I would just like to be convinced of why I should be buying a Mazda.

Any information you can provide would be greatly helpful in my search for a new vehicle. Also, any details about what I should be watching out for when shopping for CX-5's would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance,
Shane
Here's probably the best reason...
13:1 Compression and 40 mpg on 87 Octane fuel? Introducing Mazda

Old 01-24-2014, 05:22 PM

Watch out for 2015s hitting dealerships in early February.
What is good about a CX-5?

Pros:
o 13:1 compression, direct injection, Tr-Y header give best in class power & efficiency
o 185ft-lb of torque at 3200rpm while CRV has 175ft-lb at 4500rpm
o Unique automatic 6 speed transmission with mini torque converter and clutch
o Full one second faster 0-60mph than CRV,Forester,Rav4
o Best in class handling, braking, shifting, and power, its a miata on stilts
o Best in class towing of 2000# while others are only 1500#
o MPG reports are meeting or beating 25/32 rating, some competitors fall short
o Camping thermarest full size mattress will fit in back if seats are pulled forward

Cons:
o hiway road noise is high, but all in this class have elevated road noise levels
o infotainment has poor audio and USB, but 2015 will use superior Mazda3 unit
o 2.0L is underpowered (2.5L is more than adequate)

Last edited by CC58; 01-24-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM

It's early February (2/11/14), no 2015's have shown up so far.

The EPA website does list fuel economy ratings for model year 2015.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 AM
Default Great Info...Thanks!

Originally Posted by CC58
Watch out for 2015s hitting dealerships in early February.
What is good about a CX-5?

Pros:
o 13:1 compression, direct injection, Tr-Y header give best in class power & efficiency
o 185ft-lb of torque at 3200rpm while CRV has 175ft-lb at 4500rpm
o Unique automatic 6 speed transmission with mini torque converter and clutch
o Full one second faster 0-60mph than CRV,Forester,Rav4
o Best in class handling, braking, shifting, and power, its a miata on stilts
o Best in class towing of 2000# while others are only 1500#
o MPG reports are meeting or beating 25/32 rating, some competitors fall short
o Camping thermarest full size mattress will fit in back if seats are pulled forward

Cons:
o hiway road noise is high, but all in this class have elevated road noise levels
o infotainment has poor audio and USB, but 2015 will use superior Mazda3 unit
o 2.0L is underpowered (2.5L is more than adequate)
Thanks for the update on the 2015 CX-5. I test drove the 2014 yesterday. Nice salesperson, but stated that there wouldn't be any changes to the 2015. I appreciate you telling us that the 2015 will use the Mazda3 infotainment system.

They wouldn't let me take the CX-5 out on the highway so I couldn't get a barometer on road and cabin noise. I do like a hushed interior, so will wait until crunch time to decide if it's palatable. Otherwise I loved everything else about the vehicle

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 AM

If you test drive the 2.0L, check to see if it's got enough zip for you. My 2.5L has quite enough. If it's really important to you, check out the way the USB and Bluetooth restart from the beginning when you play music.

The feature I find most irritating is the way the car won't lock the doors if you have to leave people inside with it running (because of air conditioning or heating reasons) and take the remote with you. It also beeps at me when I get out to open my gate if I leave it running for a minute with the remote in my pocket. So far that's the only thing I'd say I really don't like about the CX-5.

Otherwise I find it great. I don't find it any more noisy inside than other cars in its class and it's really a lot of fun to drive. In general, after 3 weeks with mine, I'd have to say I love it. I'm still on my first tank of gas; now at half full!. My former CUV would be ready for a trip to the gas station by now.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM

I love the blind spot warning light on the side windows

Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by hoppysport
Thanks for the update on the 2015 CX-5. I test drove the 2014 yesterday. Nice salesperson, but stated that there wouldn't be any changes to the 2015. I appreciate you telling us that the 2015 will use the Mazda3 infotainment system.

They wouldn't let me take the CX-5 out on the highway so I couldn't get a barometer on road and cabin noise. I do like a hushed interior, so will wait until crunch time to decide if it's palatable. Otherwise I loved everything else about the vehicle
Recently, rumors are 2015 won't get new infotainment, but will eventually. The 2015 supposedly will get new front facia, and interior updates. Word is the 2015's will show up at dealer lots in next few weeks.

I think road noise is subjective, and road surface could be a big factor. I'm happy with mine so far.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda's offer a lot for the money. They are a good value for most of us, if you're in it for the long term, and are not expecting Cadillac/MB type luxury. In addition, the automotive press likes the CX-5, and that's saying a lot.

But the best reason is, they are not Toyota's, on their 14th recall in two years!!
Yahoo!

Yes, I know that all cars have their quirks and issues, Mazda among them. I'm not saying they don't.

Quick Reply: Tell me why I should buy a CX-5