Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Software bug?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 AM
Default Software bug?

About a month ago my CX5 had it's 10,000km service which included a software update (to the entertainment/navigation/comm system).
Since then quite irregularly when a warning (eg speed camera, exceeding speed limit, etc etc) occurs the radio volume drops BUT nothing is heard. When I adjust the navigation system volume after altering it once again NOTHING is heard instead of "this is the new volume setting" (or whatever it is).
This continues until the next time I switch off the engine/ignition and restart when the problem disappears.
Today as I approached traffic lights at RED the system warned me audibly "red light camera". While I was stationary it continued to warn me over and over repeatedly until the traffic light turned green and I drove on about 200 metres when it stopped. This is the first time this has happened.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

How do I get them fixed when they occur irregularly? If I take it to the dealer and they can't get it to go wrong they won't know what to fix.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Take it back & explain your issues. They can seen a tech report to Mazda HQ.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 AM

Thanks Grimreaper,

Problem is will they believe me?
When it first happened within a week of the service I took it back , explained the problem. The service person spoke to a mechanic who took the car into the workshop and I waited about an hour. The car came back with the explanation that I had set the 'warnings' to Display only. I thought that perhaps it had changed itself as I didn't change it so I departed for home. On the way I noticed that all 'warnings' and information had been reset to display and audio whereas I had set it up to received audio warnings for 'speed cameras/ exceeding the speed limit etc' only (I didn't want to hear 'town entry point etc'.
I then wondered if the service person and/or mechanic did not understand the exact problem and thought that I was an idiot.
BUT since then I have taken my video camera and tripod with me and when the problem reoccurred (only seems to happens every few days) and video recorded the screen to demonstrate what is happening and I can give the dealer a copy.

BUT will they want to take the car for a few days until they can replicate the problem and if so can I demand a courtesy car? Also I don't want anyone driving me car over extended distances/days

What do you think? The car is 14 months old.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

They shouldn't need the car for long. Tell them your sick of return visits.
The settings sometimes reset when updating the software. If you're set it to what you want & it keeps changing, tell them so. It may need a new CMU, (the brain for MZD connect )

Old 09-22-2016, 06:51 AM

Thanks
NO the settings do NOT change by themselves I only thought that perhaps they may have after the mechanic suggested the problem was caused by me changing the settings which I hadn't.
I am hoping that soon when I use the car and I am going near where the dealer is that the problem occurs and I will take it to them and NOT turn off the engine until they have inspected it (as turning off the engine resets the problem and it goes away until next time which could be days).
Sorry but I don't have a lot of faith in car service centres. That you are just another number.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:14 PM

The saga continues (with the voice information dropping out).

Two weeks ago when the (intermittent) problem was happening I drive to the dealership leaving the engine running (as when the engine is turned off and restarted the problem goes away until next time) I demonstrated to the service personnel who then called the workshop foreman who witnessed the problem and asked that I book the car in and they would contact Mazda (in Melbourne?) for instructions. A few days later I took the car in and left it with them for many hours. When I returned I was told that on instruction from Mazda they RESET the CMU and for the "customer to observe".
Well on my way home from the dealer the problem happened again! SO Annoying.
I phoned the service department and they told me that the workshop foreman would contact Mazda for more instructions and would phone me back. I waited a full day without a phone call so decided to call the service department again.
Apologies were given for not phoning back and I was told the foreman was away but someone else would contact Mazda and phone me back.
This time they did and advised that Mazda advised for me to return the car to them for tests (this was what I was told before the previous time I returned the car) and that the car might be needed overnight. They told me a loan car would be supplied at no cost - at no cost for a problem which is not my fault, what a joke.

This will be the FOURTH time the car has been back and I am concerned that it will once again be a waste of my time.
I will be asking when I get the car back next time -
Was the car tested on road.
Was it tested a second time (as the problem often happens on the second journey in the same day).

I asked what happens if they can't fix the problem and was told that I would have to bring the car back once again for a new CMU to be fitted as they don't have them in stock.
But what should I do if the problem is still not fixed and they don't agree to fit a new CMU?
Do I have the authority to DEMAND that the CMU be replaced?
Who can I complain to?

Old 11-11-2016, 03:27 PM

I would complain to mazda corp? If your the only one with the problem it is clearly because of a defective unit. Have them replace that mainboard.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:26 PM

Thanks Jeff
Well now the car has been back 5 times the last 2 times they tested the car and extracted data from the CMU which was to be given to Mazda Australia who now say that they have taken the matter to Mazda Japan.
I phoned Mazda Australia 3 weeks ago and they 'opened a case' (whatever that means) but the person I spoke to looked up my registration number and advised that they had a record of the problem.
A week ago I suggested to the service manager that the software be 'factory reloaded' (ie set back to what it was when I first pickd up the car - new - 15 months ago when there was no problem). I suggested that if the problem still existed then surely that would prove that the CMU mainboard is defective. He replied that he would ask Mazda Australia. That would not take long to do surely. That was a week ago and no reply.
Makes me wonder if anyone cares about a sole owner who is having problems that no one esle seems to be having.