Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Door sill protestors

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Default Door sill protestors

Looking to purchase door dill protestors for 2016 CX-5 touring. Prefer SS over aluminum. Seem to be lots of examples from China. Has any one purchased there and are there any recommendations for a reliable source with a quality product.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Genuine Mazda. Ebay Chinese knock offs can be crap.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Problem with OEM sill plates is twofold- first they don't cover the edge of the sill, where you might drag your foot over it, and second there is no plate available for the inner plastic piece where you actually do drag your shoe when getting in.

I have some China plates on order that solve both those problems and will let you know when they get here. That's one problem with them- takes weeks to get here. I did receive plates that go over the plastic sill on the rear hatch, on either side of the catch loop, and they are nice. Heavy SS, nicely made and finished and fit well.

Stay tuned...

Old 02-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Door sill protestors-dscn2361.jpg

Door sill protestors-dscn2362.jpg

Door sill protestors-dscn2363.jpg

Got my plates from China, took about 2 weeks. They look great, satin finished stainless, with shiny or colored accents as you can see in the photos. They fit very well, and even have small bends to fit minor changes in the Mazda sills. They are plenty heavy duty, almost as thick as a penny, 16 or 18gauge I'd guess.

They came with 3M tape, which works great on the metal part of the sill. However, nothing sticks to the urethane plastic sill, certainly not 3M sticky tape. I cleaned the plastic with alcohol and used silicone to glue them down. We'll see how well that works. Overall I'm very happy with these accessories, and as you can see they wrap over the edges so those don't get dinged up.

I also got a Husky mat for the cargo compartment, which fits perfectly and is made of a very nice material. I'll be ordering front mats from husky also.

In one photo you can also see the metal covers I got for the pedals. I found covers that attach with screws rather than tape or slip fit since they will be more secure that way.

Here's the links to the parts on eBay. Unfortunately I couldn't get them all from one place, and there are many vendors with different styles so take your pick.

Stainless Steel Door Sill Scuff Plate for Mazda CX 5 CX 5 2012 13 14 2015 Skyact | eBay

Inner Door Sill Plate Trim for Mazda CX 5 2012 13 14 2015 | eBay

Inner Rear Bumper Protector Sill Trunk Plate Trim for Mazda CX 5 2012 13 14 2015 | eBay

Old 02-14-2016, 03:23 PM

So they fit your 2016 ok. In the Ebay ad when you put in the 2016 model, they say they're not compatible with the 2016. They look good.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 PM

Yep, I've noted several places that haven't updated the vehicle fit to 2016 either. But, since there hasn't been any change from '15, didn't figure there would be a problem. Now, if I can get them to stick to the urethane I'll be happy.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 PM

Are they staying on with the silicone?

Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 AM

Silicone seems to be holding OK, but I keep kicking the drivers inner plate off before it was dry, so I used some construction adhesive made for showers (Home Depot). It is labelled for urethane and polyethylene and seems to be the strongest.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Thanks for all the info. I was looking at your pictures and the rear bumper picture looks like a carbon fiber style tape on the bumper itself. Is it that...and if so where did you find it? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 PM

Yep, carbon fiber. Looks good and went on easily and smoothly. If I drop something heavy on it it might tear, but it should keep my dogs from scratching up the bumper when they jump in.

Amazon, less than 20 bucks with shipping-
Amazon.com: Carbon Style rear Bumper Protector Mazda CX-5 Carbon Film: Automotive Amazon.com: Carbon Style rear Bumper Protector Mazda CX-5 Carbon Film: Automotive

By the way, silicone seems to be holding.

Quick Reply: Door sill protestors