Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy? Windshield issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by William Monto
My windshield cracked on my 2014 Grand Touring (split right down the middle from the roof between the Grand Touring sensors) when the vehicle was 1 year old (it is now 2). The dealer confirmed it was a stress crack and replaced it free of charge.
Grand Touring sensors????

Old 02-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Our Allstate Insurance charges $100. To replace the windshield and no charge to the epoxy repair.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM

My 2 month old CX-5 Touring just had it's window crack from the center of the roof/window junction top seam and spread downward in the area by the rear view mirror. No visible pitting or stone damage. It looks like a stress crack.

Attached Thumbnails Should I buy?  Windshield issues.-mazda-windshield2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 AM

ARFC and various government agencies show more windshield complaints than every other complaint with the CX-5 combined.

If you buy a $30,000 vehicle and all that fails is the windshield, I think you're making out pretty well, especially since insurance companies have special deductibles for windshield replacement (usually $100.)

That said, I've been through two windshields in 15 months on my CX-5, one replaced for free by Mazda. The one replaced by Progressive (my insurance) is an aftermarket (at my request!) and it is no doubt thicker and heavier. I remember looking at the side of it when the removed the old one. In hindsight I should have snapped a picture. Mine is NOT the citybrake model (only OEM glass available for citybrake) but the glass is soft and thin nonetheless, and scratches/nicks very easily.

I haven't noticed any difference of wind/road noise with the aftermarket windshield but it hasn't scratched or chipped yet and I've had it since last October...knock on wood.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Timmmay
ARFC and various government agencies show more windshield complaints than every other complaint with the CX-5 combined.

If you buy a $30,000 vehicle and all that fails is the windshield, I think you're making out pretty well, especially since insurance companies have special deductibles for windshield replacement (usually $100.)

That said, I've been through two windshields in 15 months on my CX-5, one replaced for free by Mazda. The one replaced by Progressive (my insurance) is an aftermarket (at my request!) and it is no doubt thicker and heavier. I remember looking at the side of it when the removed the old one. In hindsight I should have snapped a picture. Mine is NOT the citybrake model (only OEM glass available for citybrake) but the glass is soft and thin nonetheless, and scratches/nicks very easily.

I haven't noticed any difference of wind/road noise with the aftermarket windshield but it hasn't scratched or chipped yet and I've had it since last October...knock on wood.
Point is that judging by the number of complaints it is a factory defect. The windshield even cracked during a test run by Edmunds which Mazda knows about because I notified them and did so well in advance of the 2016 model. Now it's being reported that the 2016's have the same defect. Some dealers are refusing to repair this and some insurance companies have steep deductibles. It looks like the windshield was purposely made thinner to reduce overall weight. Dumb idea maxda.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM

I brought up this issue at my Mazda Dealership when I was negotiating purchasing my CX-5. The dealership told me if I brought a cracked windshield and they couldn't identify that it had been result of a rock chip or other sort of impact, they would replace it free of charge.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Default Serious so many windshield complaints

Like others I too have an issue with the quality of mazda3.

While driving a tiny spec - presume from a truck 3lanes away -hit the windshield and it cracked. It was literally 0.5mm not even a rock . In 20 mins the crack became 3 feet long on the driver side . Under warranty but dealer refuses . I complained it is super cheap quality to crack this way and they refuse . Insurance has 500 deductible and dealer charging 750 for replacement .

with so many complaints on this forum wonder why some legal action cannot be taken

Old 12-23-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nidhi

While driving a tiny spec - presume from a truck 3lanes away -hit the windshield and it cracked. It was literally 0.5mm not even a rock . In 20 mins the crack became 3 feet long on the driver side . Under warranty but dealer refuses . I complained it is super cheap quality to crack this way and they refuse . Insurance has 500 deductible and dealer charging 750 for replacement .

with so many complaints on this forum wonder why some legal action cannot be taken
NO the dealer did not refuse to service your MAZDA only stated to you that under the warranty windshields is not covered. This is the same as almost every auto manufacture few if any exceptions.

LOL you join a forum and your first 2 response are the exact same thing? REALLY!?
Or did you forget that you posted this on the thread provided below?

Windshield Warranty - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Here is my response there which would be t
he same to you here! lol
Originally Posted by Nidhi

Originally Posted by Callisto
The glass is NOT low quality. There are numerous reasons your windshield fractured from impact the way it did and none are because of it being low quality. I suggest that you learn about windshields are constructed and you may find that there is a lot that goes into them. There are also Internation and federal US law specifically what is required to be a certified windshield. NONE and NO AUTO MANUFACTURE selling vehicles in the US offers and sells LOW quality windshields.

There are some "low qualities" aftermarket windshield however they still meet the federal guidelines. And the term low quality has more to do with the clarity and not the impact resistance.

When you buy a NEW Vehicle, you are given a WARRANTY information packet. I don't know of any that ever-offered road hazard coverage on a windshield?
BTW having lived in Santa Cruz for 12 years and coming over Hwy 17 going through San Jose I know very well how the condition of the highways are in that area and also how most drive.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-23-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:26 PM
Cool

Like others I too have an issue with the quality of mazda3. While driving a tiny spec - presume from a truck 3lanes away -hit the windshield and it cracked. It was literally 0.5mm not even a rock . In 20 mins the crack became 3 feet long on the driver side . Under warranty but dealer refuses . I complained it is super cheap quality to crack this way and they refuse . Insurance has 500 deductible and dealer charging 750 for replacement . with so many complaints on this forum wonder why some legal action cannot be taken
How many vehicles have you owned? First, this is a CX-5 forum, why the post about a 3? Second, glass is not a warranteed item due to road damage by any manufacturer. This is usually covered by your insurance, but I’d check on that deductible, sometimes glass doesn’t apply. Why you chose the most expensive replacement option is….a mystery.

I’ve had chipped/cracked windshields in every one of my last six vehicles - from four different makers - it’s not “poor glass quality” but lousy road conditions combined with current industry safety glass design. Check out some other brand forums, and stop with this BS class action suit mentality. The industry doesn’t owe you a new windshield.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:52 AM

I traded a 2016 CX-5 with 98,000 miles and the original windshield. I lived on a gravel road. I've moved and now have had a 2021 CX-5 still with the original windshield. Take a deep breath and buy the car if you want it, I don't think the windshield should be a deal breaker.