Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Share your thoughts on Sport Mode - 2016 CX-5

Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cpearre
In my short experience with my 2016 CX-5, I have found that in "sport" mode it holds on to 4th gear way too long. Try Manual + Sport = FUN!!!!

amen brother

Old 10-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I could see this kind of activity in a track-ready sports vehicle, but a CUV?
That doesn't sound right to me. It sounds underdeveloped for the vehicle they have installed it in. Clunky, to say the least.
Mazda may be working on the problem, at least I'd hope so, and so there may be a software update available at some point in time. Since this would not fall under the category of a safety recall, you would not be automatically notified by Mazda. I'd keep checking back with my dealer.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:44 PM

I've just gotten use to using sport mode when need to get on a freeway or other acceleration needs and then I just have remember to disengage when up to speed because it will not get into 6th gear regardless of speed or RPM's. I'll have to check with my friend who has a current model BMW with sport mode but I could have sworn on my 2012 535i would get into top gear with the sport mode engaged..

Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by montanaman
I've just gotten use to using sport mode when need to get on a freeway or other acceleration needs and then I just have remember to disengage when up to speed because it will not get into 6th gear regardless of speed or RPM's. I'll have to check with my friend who has a current model BMW with sport mode but I could have sworn on my 2012 535i would get into top gear with the sport mode engaged..
From everything I've read, it appears that Mazda designed their sport mode function to be for truly aggressive driving in lower gears and is not intended for high speed or freeway cruising. I've read a couple of posts that say the 6AT in sport mode will not shift into 6th until 80 mph or so! That's a different approach than manufacturers like BMW take. My wife's 2013 Z4 35i definitely holds gears longer in sport mode, but it doesn't seem to hinder the DCT from getting into 7th at a reasonable freeway speed. Without having driven a newer CX-5, I say if that's how Mazda wants to program the transmission, more power to them as it really puts the emphasis on the part of the power band and the type of driving that this feature is intended for!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
From everything I've read, it appears that Mazda designed their sport mode function to be for truly aggressive driving in lower gears and is not intended for high speed or freeway cruising. I've read a couple of posts that say the 6AT in sport mode will not shift into 6th until 80 mph or so! That's a different approach than manufacturers like BMW take. My wife's 2013 Z4 35i definitely holds gears longer in sport mode, but it doesn't seem to hinder the DCT from getting into 7th at a reasonable freeway speed. Without having driven a newer CX-5, I say if that's how Mazda wants to program the transmission, more power to them as it really puts the emphasis on the part of the power band and the type of driving that this feature is intended for!
Respectfully disagree with Mazda if that was their intent. They could easily have the same function and have the gear box eventually find the top gear at speeds above 70-80 mph. It's an oversight. Hoping a software flash will fix..

Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM

I just purchased my 4th Mazda a 2016 CX5 GT. My first Mazda was a 2006 Miata with auto trans, did lots of twisty roads and even track days. That being said, I believe the best way to drive twisty roads is in manual mode and shift like you would a car with a clutch. Learned how to use this mode correctly when learning to drive racetracks and its WONDERFUL. Also great when you are in the mountains and going downhills so you don't overuse your breaks. There you can see your gear level..so don't think I'll use the sport mode much. Haven't needed any extra power getting on freeways except for my "lead foot"

Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 PM

I use it quite a bit and probably too much but it is just too much fun in sport mode. I typically use it for merging or doing a quick pass on the highway. I do notice when you get to around 70 it does not do much, maybe shifts down 1 gear but pickup is not as noticeable. I dont think they want the tranny downshifting 2 gears at that speed.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:08 PM

"sport mode" should hold each gear a bit longer and possibly even make firmer shifts (like a shift kit) without destroying all drive-ability in the upper speeds.

I suppose its easy enough to flip it out of sport mode, but the more I read about the cx5 quirks Im becoming less interested in owning one

If you wanted to hold 4th gear at 70 mph, couldnt you do that in manual mode? why make sport mode so un freindly?

Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

I only use sport mode when towing a trailer and either climbing a long hill or needing to quickly accelerate onto a 4-lane highway. On long downhills (think in the mountains...) I shift into manual so I use lower gears for some engine braking.

Otherwise I just leave it in auto...

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

When in sport mode in my BMW 128 with steptronic it would not go into sixth

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Share your thoughts on Sport Mode - 2016 CX-5