Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Rear Wheel Well has no protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by paris1
What do I think? Quite honestly, I think that's about the lamest thing I've ever read on one of these forums. The material Mazda uses in the rear wheel wells of the CX-5 (and other Mazda vehicles) is designed to perform the normal functions of this component as well as deaden sound of rocks and debris that are kicked up by the tires. This material has been used for several years by Mazda and several other Japanese manufacturers for the same purpose. Just leave it alone and enjoy the car!
It's Up There!
Except mine has a hole in it!
Putting something on top of it, may cause clearance issues, tire rubbing. I think my tire rub was due to faulty rear sway bar link. I have beefed up my rear sway bar. Even with hole, it should be fine. Stuff under it is undercoated!

Painting something there is very minimal for protection, and adhesion to dirty surface is suspect.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Default I'm Flattered!

Originally Posted by paris1
What do I think? Quite honestly, I think that's about the lamest thing I've ever read on one of these forums. The material Mazda uses in the rear wheel wells of the CX-5 (and other Mazda vehicles) is designed to perform the normal functions of this component as well as deaden sound of rocks and debris that are kicked up by the tires. This material has been used for several years by Mazda and several other Japanese manufacturers for the same purpose. Just leave it alone and enjoy the car!
A member for only two days and I've already gotten a "Lamest Award" - thank you sir. Actually, I had already decided against doing anything to it. Looking forward to my next award -

Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tango2014
A member for only two days and I've already gotten a "Lamest Award" - thank you sir. Actually, I had already decided against doing anything to it. Looking forward to my next award -
That's what happens when you listen to your brother!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:35 PM

agreed!

Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by fvansan
agreed!
On this point I also agree.....but he's a good bro and loves his Mazdas (and me too!)

Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 AM

I'm going to have to say it took me by surprise when I noticed the " fabric" lined wheel wells. I get that it can help with sound deadening and I have to assume there is plastic behind it. Surprised they did not use it up front as well because there is a fair amount of engine noise on this vehicle at idol and low speeds even tho they improved it for 2016.. And that stuff must be very tough to handle years of snow,ice,mud and rain..

Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by montanaman
I'm going to have to say it took me by surprise when I noticed the " fabric" lined wheel wells. I get that it can help with sound deadening and I have to assume there is plastic behind it. Surprised they did not use it up front as well because there is a fair amount of engine noise on this vehicle at idol and low speeds even tho they improved it for 2016.. And that stuff must be very tough to handle years of snow,ice,mud and rain..
How would using it in the front wheel wells help with engine noise isolation?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM

I guess because that is where the engine is located?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:28 PM

No, the wheels are located in the wheel wells. Then engine is located in the engine bay. If you get my point.