Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Thanks Mavvrick for the link.
The same happened on my 2014 Mazda 3 .Had I less than a week with only 500 miles .
a small chip you can hardly see, but within an hour it developed a foot long horizontal crack. Took it to a shop to seal the chip and crack.... and the next day it was still actively cracking another 3 inches. I feel this is a big concern because maybe the cut quality for the weight and better gas milage..

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 PM

2014 Mazda 6 Two windshields in 2 weeks!! Crack runs within seconds of impact. Both small rocks under normal freeway driving conditions. Both rocks hit in same area of windshield. Aerodynamics directing flight of rocks? Either way the windshield cracks without delay. I sent email to Mazda, but doubt they will admit issue. Have been forced to replace with OEM glass as the car is new and aftermarket not available.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 AM

I parked my 2014 CX-5 last night like I always do and this morning, there was a foot long crack from the end of the driver side! Just like that. I will be calling the dealer as soon as they open.

I called the dealer and I was told to call my insurance. I explained that the windshield cracked on its own during the night and after briefly conferencing his colleague, I was told to take it this evening for them to look at it. Keeping my fingers crossed but either the dealer or the insurance is paying for this, not me! Will keep you posted.

Last edited by Tanzanite; 03-31-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Default 3rd windshield in 6 mos!

Previously posted re: two windshields replaced in two weeks. 6 months later, I am now replacing for 3rd time. Scenario: Highway driving, small rock hits, crack runs within seconds. Each instance was insignificant in terms of rock impact. A slight "peck" on windshield followed by almost immediate running of crack. I reported this to Mazda as a simple FYI. I have zero deductible so had no need for warranty. Mazda replied with "we don't cover windshields" form letter. I was not requesting warranty. I was however, attempting to alert Mazda to an issue with the OEM glass. It simply brake and runs too easily. Previous Mazda went 11 years 349,000 mi in exact same driving conditions with 1 total windshield replacement.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

It would be interesting to know how many CX5 owners worldwide HAVE-NOT had issues with their windscreens v's those who have.

As I've said before, I'm not aware of any issues with CX5's sold in the New Zealand or Australian market, where I work.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by chaddruuming
Previously posted re: two windshields replaced in two weeks. 6 months later, I am now replacing for 3rd time. Scenario: Highway driving, small rock hits, crack runs within seconds. Each instance was insignificant in terms of rock impact. A slight "peck" on windshield followed by almost immediate running of crack. I reported this to Mazda as a simple FYI. I have zero deductible so had no need for warranty. Mazda replied with "we don't cover windshields" form letter. I was not requesting warranty. I was however, attempting to alert Mazda to an issue with the OEM glass. It simply brake and runs too easily. Previous Mazda went 11 years 349,000 mi in exact same driving conditions with 1 total windshield replacement.
What model do you have and does it have the auto-wiper option? I have a 2013 Touring and had a small rock chip about 6 months in which was repaired with no further complications. However I will say that my windshield has always been difficult to get really clean (surface on both sides seems somehow substandard and retains contaminants more than I'm used to), so I don't doubt there are issues with this part.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Default Windshields In Mazdas Are Cheap!!!

I have owned my 2014 Mazda 3 for 9 months and there is definitely something up with the windshields. Today, I got the crack across the windshield. There was a small noise (it must have been the pebble) and, 5 minutes later, there was a horizontal crack across the windshield. I literally watched it form. Every single pebble that hits creates damage. Sometimes it is a small crack, a dimple or the star. I have already had the thing "repaired" with the epoxy twice. I am getting a replacement on Friday. I hope its better than what came stock!