Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Poor Windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM

No kidding, not expecting Mazda warranty to cover accidental damage.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM

I had the same thing happen to mine, the second week I had it, small chip and a 12" crack and i called the dealer and you can't even get a windshield at this time, with the rain and brake sensor.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:34 PM

A little rock hit my windshield the other day and completely shattered it!........kidding...No but for real it only left a few tiny chip marks. I might get it looked at to see if needs to be filled at all though. I wouldn't imagine Mazda using any less in quality glass in their vehicles.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM

I own a 2014 CX-5 Touring with 2,000 miles on it. 2 weeks ago my wife came home from work with a foot long crack in the windshield starting on the drivers side from the top under the trim. She said nothing had kicked up off the road and hit the windshield. No bad weather that day. No extreme heat or cold. There is no sign of exterior damage to the glass. The glass is broken under the trim leading me to believe that it's a stress fracture from improper installment at the factory. I have full glass coverage and the Auto Glass shop I'm using is attempting to get a replacement windshield from a Mazda dealer and they were told 2 weeks ago they were on national back order and it would take a couple weeks. I just got a call yesterday that now I'm looking at sometime toward the end of July. Mazda tells me there are no bulletins about faulty windshield installs and that sometimes glass just cracks. This is a BS answer. If these windshields are on a national back order then there must be an issue. It's hard to believe that the windshield design from the 2013 to the 2014 has charged. Has anyone hard anything about this?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM

I'm having the same problem. Mine cracked on it's own and I was told I can't get a windshield till sometime around the 21st of July and it's already been 2 weeks.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Sounds similar to my experience. No apparent reason for the crack. I am off to the dealer shortly and will certainly keep you abreast of the situation.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM

The dealer agreed to replace the windshield under warranty, because the crack originated from the top center of the windshield and the car had only 1900 miles. They ordered a replacement and mentioned that there is a backlog, but scheduled installation for July 10th.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 AM

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it covered under warranty. When my first windshield cracked, I just came out from work and saw it. Nothing had been on there when I drove down. There was a small chip though, so the dealership wouldn't cover it. Never heard a rock hit it or anything. I want to get a towing hitch so that I can put a bike rack on, but if the windshield keeps breaking I'm thinking about seeing what the Lemon law applies to here. I love driving my Touring AWD, especially up here in the snow season. But I'm not going to stand for this.

I was talking to the glass installer about why this might happen on such a new vehicle. I asked whether automakers are starting to skimp on glass, but he said they all have to "meet a standard". He did say, though, that some automakers are starting to make the windshield more of a structural component, increasing the stress that the windshield sees on the vehicle.

Has anyone heard of this?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Default cracked wind shield

I have a 20104 cx5 and with only 1800 miles on it , crack is coming from the bottom right and curving up to the middle , dealer says it was a rock , ya right , so the insurance company is doing it , dealer is getting a call after it is done , no deals going on at that place made fun of the situation and started laughing , ill be laughing next

Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 AM

Everyone, please go to the link below to file a complain with NHTSA. Only if NHTSA receives multiple complaints on the same issue will Mazda begin to do anything about it. I love my CX-5 but this issue has to be dealt with.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Quick Reply: Poor Windshield...