Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Miles Per Gallon #MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by trustyrusty436
The way a car is driven has more to do with mileage than anything else, so your NOT going to get the kind of mileage someone who drives differently does. I looked the other day at avg. mpg and it was 34.5, I drive mostly on back roads at 40-50 mph, some city and freeway. Cork Sport make a intake for this car and it seems to give better mileage and a little more pep. I tried their springs and anti-sway bar, I do not recommend them, to stiff for normal driving. The car cornered like it was on rails, but was just to harsh on the bumps. This is a 2000cc engine in a 3500lb car, it's not going to be fast no matter what is done to it, save your money for gas! I have H&R springs in it now and it's not overly powerful, so it's pretty much like a Miata with a lot of room and way better gas mileage. Unless your going to turbo it or something it is what it is, which isn't bad, I like mine it's fun to drive!
Thanks TrustyRusty... I may more seriously look into that CS CAI, especially once my 3 year warranty is up... There are some who feel it can be more enjoyable to drive a lower powered vehicle hard than a high powered vehicle softly... I guess we're in the former category . It's not like one needs tons of power all the time, but it's nice to have when you do need it. The gas savings is probably more important for our wallets and the environment anyways. I don't understand why anyone outside of German autobauns would need more than 300HP on the road unless they're using that power for work or hauling... I've already spent around $700-800 in speeding tickets since I got my CX-5 a year ago so I guess it's a good thing that it doesn't have more power and this probably attests to an actual zoom-zoom feel even with the lower power numbers on paper for the 2.0 manual... I'll start using my CX-5's cruise control a little more now and buy a 2nd turbo AWD vehicle that I can have a little more fun in when called for

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

The CX5 has a real problem when it comes to MPG.

It is just to much fun. I should drive with a light foot, I know I should, nice winding road ahead with a couple of tight switch backs Zoom Zoom. There goes the average MPG. Maybe next time, NOT

Old 09-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fdew
The CX5 has a real problem when it comes to MPG.

It is just to much fun. I should drive with a light foot, I know I should, nice winding road ahead with a couple of tight switch backs Zoom Zoom. There goes the average MPG. Maybe next time, NOT
How does one drive with a lite foot when all you have to do is think about the gas pedal when pulling away from a stop and you get whiplash?

Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95134
How does one drive with a lite foot when all you have to do is think about the gas pedal when pulling away from a stop and you get whiplash?
There may be something wrong with your car or your foot. The "gas Pedal" in our car is just a couple of potentiometers connected to a motor that is connected to your throttle body.

I would test drive another CX-5. If it is different, get yours fixed. If it is not different then there are after market controls that you can add. Typicaly they change the curve for how much you need to stomp the pedal to get full throttle but they also often have a economy setting that requires more movement to get the throttle.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fdew
There may be something wrong with your car or your foot. The "gas Pedal" in our car is just a couple of potentiometers connected to a motor that is connected to your throttle body.

I would test drive another CX-5. If it is different, get yours fixed. If it is not different then there are after market controls that you can add. Typicaly they change the curve for how much you need to stomp the pedal to get full throttle but they also often have a economy setting that requires more movement to get the throttle.
I've driven another CX5 and it has the same response. (Yes, I know it is drive by wire.) If there is a way to adjust/tailor the throttle response to the problem the dealer seems to be totally unaware of how to do this.

Can you point me to one of these "tools" that will allow me DIY so I can fix this. It is MAX annoying. BTW, my Prius is Fly By Wire and the throttle response on it is very smooth and exactly what one expects.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tom95134
I've driven another CX5 and it has the same response. (Yes, I know it is drive by wire.) If there is a way to adjust/tailor the throttle response to the problem the dealer seems to be totally unaware of how to do this.

Can you point me to one of these "tools" that will allow me DIY so I can fix this. It is MAX annoying. BTW, my Prius is Fly By Wire and the throttle response on it is very smooth and exactly what one expects.
Never heard of anybody wanting to install one in a CX-5, but if you must:
accelerator tuning engine performance

Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM

I have a new 2014 CX5 GT and I already discovered the average mileage calculator on the car computer is not correct for it is 1.5 MPH too low. But with a lite foot on the gas pedal and mostly highway driving, the best I can get is 27.7 MPG. Car has a bit over 5500 miles on it. I never once got even 30 MPG on the highway. Perhaps ethanol mix in the fuel is partially responsible.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by fvansan
I have a new 2014 CX5 GT and I already discovered the average mileage calculator on the car computer is not correct for it is 1.5 MPH too low. But with a lite foot on the gas pedal and mostly highway driving, the best I can get is 27.7 MPG. Car has a bit over 5500 miles on it. I never once got even 30 MPG on the highway. Perhaps ethanol mix in the fuel is partially responsible.
I have 2014 Touring CX-5 FWD. I get 27mpg going 70mph on highway and most report the same. However, this is due to high speed. Drop your speed to 60mph and you will get over 30mpg. Be aware the CX-5 is highly sensitive to wind, for good or worse. Most remarkable event was when I drove 400 miles north with a 20mph tailwind with even higher gusts. That tank of gas I got 32mpg @ 80mph!!! Next tank of gas I drove west 400 miles at 80mph and got 25mpg due to southwest 20mph wind. The CX-5 is highly effected by wind and excess speed.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DR.BEATS
Thanks TrustyRusty... I may more seriously look into that CS CAI, especially once my 3 year warranty is up...
Save your $, those "cold air" intakes won't give you more power/better mpg. In fact, they might give you slightly less hp.
Just becuase it makes more sound doesn't mean its giving more power.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Default 2014 CX5 Milage Update

Our 2.5L AWD GT has over 12,000 miles and has average MPG of 26.2.
About one-third of the driving was freeway with the balance in town.