Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Poor Miles Per Gallon #MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Default Poor Miles Per Gallon #MPG

Just purchased a brand new 2014 GT FWD. My daily commute is around 15 minutes to and from work. I have been averaging less than 20 mpg. Just returned from a 300 mile trip and it only creeped up to 23 mpg? I did have bikes on the back that may have provided some drag, but I was expecting better for steady highway miles. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this? Do I need to have it checked out? I need to do manual readings just to make sure it is not a computer malfunction. The only thing that made me choose the CX5 over a Subaru CrossTrek was the milage and the 187 hp engine. Feeling disappointed.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 PM

You were relying on the information from the instrument panel. In my Ford Windstar it averages out the miles per gallon over all the miles driven since the last time the info system was reset. Your highway mileage was probably a bit better since it was still "creeping up".
Next time reset the system before you hit the highway. You should get a better idea how it does. In addition do a manual calculation so you can compare to the computer read out.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Apart from your short 15 minute commute, what other driving do you do?
Short trips are the worst for both fuel economy and engine life.

Fill up your tank to the top, reset your trip meter, drive till the fuel light comes on, refill to the top and then manually workout your miles per gallon.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Hey you need to use your new 2014 GT FWD for long trips it will be great if you go for trips it will be good for your engine also you can enjoy your new 2014 GT FWD.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 AM

I have a 2014 CX-5 FWD Touring with 1600 miles now, my average MPG is right around 24-26. Thats 90% highway driving. I have had it for about three weeks now, made two trips with it consisting of over 450 miles round trip and still my highest is 26 MPG (manually calculated). I am disappointed with the milage. My turbo Mini was getting better MPG with me driving it like a crazy person.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShawnMichaelU
I have a 2014 CX-5 FWD Touring with 1600 miles now, my average MPG is right around 24-26. Thats 90% highway driving. I have had it for about three weeks now, made two trips with it consisting of over 450 miles round trip and still my highest is 26 MPG (manually calculated). I am disappointed with the milage. My turbo Mini was getting better MPG with me driving it like a crazy person.
Same here. Getting 24-25 mpg calulated at fillup.

Got rid if a Saturn that got consistant 32mpg fr this car.

2014 CX-5 Touring

Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM

On fuelly an average of 456 CX-5s show 27-28mpg mixed driving.
Mazda CX-5 MPG Reports | Fuelly

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM

It could just be the way I drive, but I get about 28-30 average mpg depending on the weather with pure city driving in my 2013 CX-5 Sport FWD AT with 19,200 miles. My commute even contains 5 roundabouts and several traffic lights for a roughly 15 minute drive. I've been on one highway trip and managed 36mpg there.

I've heard that sometimes engines need "broken in" to reach advertised levels. I bought this one used a couple thousand miles ago and I've always gotten such great mpg.

To achieve these numbers I accelerate quickly (well, this engine doesn't have much of a kick so as quickly as I can) to about 35mph and let up on the throttle a bit so it gets into 6th gear. In certain situations it helps to use the manumatic mode to get into a higher gear earlier. Finally, having to hit the brakes means you are wasting gas! I try to strategically use hills and coasting to slow the car for red lights and turns.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 PM

If you are located in the northern part of the United States from about Nebraska to the East Coast and down to D.C. don't get too concerned about your mileage just yet. It's Winter and gasoline is reformulated for the Winter months. This year it will be even more so because of the colder temperatures. I bought my CX5 in September last year and have noticed a hit to mileage but expect it to bounce back when the Spring/Summer gas formulations hit the stations.

Experience gained from owning a Prius and turning into somewhat of a mileage hawk for a while.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 AM

I have a 2.0 6spd. stick and normally avg. around 32 or 33 mpg overall, so that's easily over 35 mpg highway. I don't pay that much attention to hwy mileage as it's the overall avg that really matters, I've gone out on the Natchez Trace Parkway trying to do some hyper mileage the last 2 weekend. I've recorded by the dash gauge a 37.7 after 137.2 miles after zeroing the avg mpg read out. Also one of 41.9 avg after putting in about 8 gallons of non ethanol gas, I didn't keep track of the # of mile that time. These were running 40 to 50 mph and nothing but granny like acceleration. The new spark plugs that I installed finally set a engine light and the car barely got me back home. I ended up putting the stock Mazda plugs back in and ever thing was good again. The manufacturer of the aftermarket plugs is sending a fresh set of plugs and a shipping label to send the ones that quit back to them. This the fourth car I've used this plug type in and the first time I've had a problem with them, so I'm hoping the second set works out. I really don't know what happened, maybe the plugs cause a problem with the knock sensors ( if this car has them ), but that's just a wild guess?

Quick Reply: Poor Miles Per Gallon #MPG