Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Oil change for CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mazdalief
do not change the oil so soon! wait until the manufacture specified mileage!
That's nonssence; there is no reason to have that wear metal -laden oil in there for 7500 miles. They "specify" that for owners manual engineering reasons- to make maintaining the car cheaper. If they were were to specify changing it out at 1000 miles, that would make for one more oil change in the first 100,000 miles and would make maintenance appear to more expensive to the car ignorant who read CR for automotive guidance.
Change out the break in oil! I procrastinated it until 5,000 miles, my oil analysis is fine and the oil level is stable, never had to add oil. Other cars I have got their first oil changes at under 1000 despite manual saying not to.
One is a '96 Impala SS with 180,000 miles, the other a Jetta tdi that just turned 200,000. If you change out the oil at 7500 what is your oil consumption? WHat is your oil analysis? If you don't have both, you simply don't know.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
My BMWs have carried an oil change interval (OCI) spec of a nominal 15,000 miles. That said, the ECUs on those cars track a number of metrics which have proven reasonably accurate at predicting when the oil needs to be changed; no such a tracking system exists in any late model Mazda that I'm aware of.

I've seen the Oil Life Monitors in my cars adjust the recommended OCI from as little as 12,000 miles to over 18,000 miles based upon my driving habits at the time. It seems to me that 7,500 miles is a bit conservative for an engine run on synthetic oil, and in my case, now that my Mazda3 is out of warranty I'm going to change my normal OCI to 10,000 miles (yes I do use synthetic oil).
Shipo, what comments do you have about a case like ours, where our annual mileage is very low indeed? Should we change the oil anyway six-monthly, even though only 2000 miles have been driven?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by katana
That's nonssence; there is no reason to have that wear metal -laden oil in there for 7500 miles.
I don't think my CX-5 specified to leave the "break-in" oil in for the full initial duration, but, my Honda Civic did, and the service manager also stressed not changing the oil "early" because it had special break-in oil in it from the factory that they wanted in the entire initial period. just sayin....

Old 10-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Taz

Originally Posted by shipo
Please be advised that Mazda strongly recommends you leave the factory oil in for the full duration of the first oil change interval. Changing oil so quickly after an engine is built can drain the important additive package most manufacturers are using these days on their new engines.
Re: important additive package most manufacturers are using these days on their new engines

Please elaborate. Where is this written?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Try here: 15 2015 Mazda CX5 Oil Filter - Engine Mechanical - AC Delco, Beck Arnley, Bosch, Denso, Fram, Genuine, Hastings, K&N, Motorcraft, WIX - PartsGeek
But frankly any good quality oil filter will do. I prefer WIX a.k.a. NAPA Gold (same-same) myself. Their specs meet or exceed factory and are usually cheaper to buy. They also have a spring loaded, heavy metal backflow valve, vs. the cheap Fram filters (example) which are usually plastic and prone to fail.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:54 AM

I've been reading this thread... and this seems appropiate:

The guy bascally show the whole process.
related to oil... well, that's for another day and a couple of beers

Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by weput
I've been reading this thread... and this seems appropiate:
The guy bascally show the whole process.
related to oil... well, that's for another day and a couple of beers
So two things: First, it's unnecessary to take the engine cover off to change the oil and second: checking the oil level immediately after shutting off the engine will leave a good bit of oil up in the head and will not give an accurate reading. Best to let the engine sit for an hour or so before "sticking" it.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM

well
you have to admit that the video shows the whole procedure and is nice to have.

about the measurement accuracy....well that's debatible.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

As I work for Mazda in OZ & not the USA, were are told not to change the oil in new cars before 6,000kms.

The recommended service period is 10,000kms or no longer than 12 months.

Also to properly check the oil in Skyactiv engines you need to full warm up the engine, ie road test. Park the vehicle on a flat surface, turn the engine off, wait 5 minutes, then check the oil level.

Last edited by grim_reaper; 10-20-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Thumbs up

Great video! Thanks for posting!

I was going to change my girlfriend's oil this weekend, but it was too cold and windy out.

Quick Reply: Oil change for CX-5