Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New CX-5, transmission failure warning and SBC warning

Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 AM
Default New CX-5, transmission failure warning and SBC warning

Hello all, first timer... hoping someone can shed some light on my problem.

Picked up my brand new '16 1/2 CX-5 GT today. 7 miles from the dealer, the check engine light comes on, along with the master warning light. On the right gage cluster I got a message saying Automatic Transmission Failure, or something like that, and SBC failure, again... something like that.

U-turn back to the dealer. Of course, the service dept. is closed on Sunday, and tomorrow. Salesman says don't worry, it's under warranty. I tell him the warranty means **** to me, I didn't pay for a brand new SUV with a rebuilt transmission. General manager comes out, and says let them diagnose it, if they can't repair it to my satisfaction they'll replace it with another brand new one. Fair enough.

My question is what can cause this? I'm sure they are going to tell me it's a simple sensor or something, no matter what the actual cause is. Any ideas? Seen anything like this before?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

1st of all, my condolences to you. Buying a new car is a big deal to alot of people, & you don't deserve this.

At a guess, I would say something like a brake switch fault or speed sensor fault.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 PM

I'm guessing by now you received an answer from the dealer. Can't say that I've heard of any problems with the CX-5 right out of the box like that. Just my own curiosity, are you a double foot driver? One on the brake, one on the throttle? I am and I caught myself resting my left foot on the brake while driving, playing heck with the "drive by wire" system. Just a thought.