Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Need Recommendation - Cold Weather Battery

Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Default Need Recommendation - Cold Weather Battery

Hello,

We love driving our CX-5, except when it drops below 0 at night and won't start.

I have a 2013 CX-5 that has died in the cold three times this year, and once last year. We've had the dealership check it out both times, they insist nothing is wrong with the battery, and no problems on the draw test.

This latest round they told me to make sure the car gets run every day for 15 minutes.. not really realistic if you have to fly anywhere during the winter. Not a good solution. My 2007 Ford with an older battery doesn't have any problems, but whatever. I also highly doubt we left any lights on, (maybe happened once, but not every time) or any accessories plugged in so I'm at a loss.

So I have three questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a battery that is BETTER in cold weather than the OEM battery?

2) What are the CA / CCA specs for the OEM battery that I currently have? I'm hoping a non-OEM battery designed for cold weather will solve the problem, and want to compare what I have now, to what I will buy.

3) Anything I can do to help keep the battery from drawing down in the cold weather?

I'm getting nowhere with the dealerships.. I'm hoping Mazda USA can help me out, but not holding my breath.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Banned

Get an AGM Flat plate battery, they are the best (other than expensive lithium). Do not buy Optima round cylinders. The AGM flat plate is a type of battery, not a brand name.
For optimal performance, you MUST wrap your battery in insulation! The insulation prevents the battery from overheating in the summer and helps keep the cold off of it in the winter!
Make sure that when you leave the vehicle that you lock it! This ensures that the computer is shut off. So if you park it in a garage, lock it! Parking it in a garage also keeps it warmer.
I got my battery from Canadian Tire.
For similar info, read: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...s-27572/page4/

Good: Sears Diehard Platinum = Odyssey

ODYSSEY Batteries - Batteries, Auto / LTV

Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

You will need to purchase a battery that is a "stop Start" battery or "stop Start" compatible. Otherwise your I-stop system may fail to operate.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Have you tried a battery tender? (trickle charger)

Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM

I have a 2014. It is parked outside unlocked and often goes two days without being started. No problems so far. You may have something the matter.

There was another thread that got into what the mazda dealer does (or should do) when a CX-5 will sit for a long time. I saved it for when My car needs to sit at an airport for a week.
--------------------------------------------------------
In the engine bay fuse-box,remove the "Room" Fuse & both "Audio" Fuses. These fuses are removed from the vehicle when they leave the factory & we only fit them during the Pre-delivery inspection.
---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks That is what I needed. Pull F43, F44, and F55. It looks like the key (The real key) and locks still have power so I can still lock and unlock it. They appear to get there power from the RBCM

Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 AM

I-stop isn't used in the US.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fdew
I-stop isn't used in the US.
Really?

Weird, very Weird.

You get much better fuel economy with I-stop.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies.. I drove the CX-5 for about an hour yesterday, and the temperature hit -5 to -10 farenheight last night. No problems starting this morning!

I think I'll still get a better battery for cold weather for when the car has to sit, so thanks for the advice here.

After asking the dealer (about 15 times) they asked their mechanic who said Mazda makes a cold weather battery.. does anyone know anything about this?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Really?

Weird, very Weird.

You get much better fuel economy with I-stop.
Its all about selling.

"We can't find a way to show a monetary benefit for the consumer," said U.S. spokesman Jeremy Barnes, within the framework of the EPA fuel-economy numbers that appear on window stickers."

The company's clever i-Stop systems don't use the starter to bring the engine back to life; rather, they stop the engine at a precise position so that it can be restarted by smartly applying fuel and spark at just the right timing to one, then more, cylinders, bringing it back to idle speed in just 0.35 seconds.

Mazda says i-Stop coming to U.S. vehicle lineup by 2016

Fuel-Saving Mazda i-Stop Stalled In U.S. Because Of EPA Tests

Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Banned

You could get one of these:

More info: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/gen...charger-34654/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Recommendation - Cold Weather Battery