Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving from V6 Sedan to CX5- how is acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Default moving from V6 Sedan to CX5- how is acceleration

Hi Folks,

I'm a long time sedan buyer currently driving a 2007 Camry with V6. At one time I did own a 1989 626 and was quite happy with it.
Based on lobbying from my spouse (she drives a 2010 v6 Sante Fe) and chats with relatives, I'm considering switching from the Camry to a crossover / SUV.
Reasons are varied primarily for ease of access and safety.
I am looking at Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, and Maxda CX5 and have a question for those loyal CX5 owners. The CX5 seems to have the edge on the reviews I’m reading.

My 07 Camry is a very fast V6, which I love. I have yet to go test drive any of the Suv’s.

It seems the 3 model Suv’s I’m looking at only come as 4 cylinders. Therefore I’m wondering is the CX5 responsive enough on demand and will I regret my purchase ?

I would appreciate any comments from those of you that made the leap from a v6 sedan to a CX5.Are you happy with the acceleration and responsiveness ?

Another question surrounds factory Remote starter-the local sales guy tells me they are not installed at the factory, but they do offer a dealer installed Maxda supplied unit that would extend to the base warranty of the car. Have any of you purchased this and do you like it? I’m not clear if it’s separate and distinct from the “app” mode (Which I don’t want.)

Old 04-25-2016, 02:52 PM

I'm thinking if you like the power of your V6 Camry, you're going to be anything but happy with any of the 4-banger SUVs you're considering.

Thought #2; I'm curious about your comments regarding "safety", I'm having a difficult time figuring out how a top-heavy(ish) SUV, even a small one, would be even as safe as your Camry, much less safer.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:47 PM

The Mazda car line has kicked the competitors tail pipes in independent research such as Car and Driver and a few others. The Skyactive 4cyl. that Mazda offers was built for fuel economy and durability. Power wise, I myself feel that they're not too shabby. It's not a V6 by any stretch and it won't boil the tires off the line, but passing power and "On Ramp" acceleration is not bad at all.

Head over to the dealer and take a 20min test drive. I think once you've had a few miles to see for yourself, you'll drive one home. Yes, I love my Mazda's.

Remote start option is a 20-30 min install and program. The Mazda remote is pricier than an aftermarket remote but for the extra coin, you get a little more than the cut and splice aftermarket one. App based remote is another upgrade and if you don't want it, you don't have to get it.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 PM

I log about 30K miles per year in my vehicles and so far I've been impressed with the CX-5's power. The only time I wish for more pwr is going over the steepest mountain passes. But dropping it down 2 gears (4th) I can easily maintain 65mph. No other normally aspirated 4 banger will give you this much power and return top fuel economy to boot.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM

You may find the utility of a crossover outweighs the difference in V6 acceleration. And if you go up in size to a CX-9, Pilot or Santa Fe you noticeably lose handling.

I cannot see ever driving a car again. I like the higher seat position in SUVs which allows for better visibility and scanning ahead. Easier to get in and out of too.

It's also only a matter of time before electrically adjustable ride quality is standard electric so you can dial in the degree of softness or sport that you want.

As for power, if you lead foot it you lose one of the most desirable features of relatively high fuel mileage available in a compact. It sounds like you want a do-it-all SUV with premium power at a discount price. It's not available unless you buy a used BMW, but you won't get the mileage.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:03 PM

I know that this was an old thread but there is one more thing to consider: The transmission.

Mazda really got the tranny right on this. You can actually control it with your right foot. I've been driving manuals for decades and my CX-5 GT reacts almost the way I would when self shifting and needing power. I came out of a V6 Fusion to this car. Much less horsepower in the CX-5 yet I feel that AT more than makes up for it. I live in a hilly area and the need for usable power is evident in several local roads. Frankly, I was very surprised and very impressed.

Anyone else feel the same?

Old 04-15-2022, 10:28 AM

By comparing my '07 Honda Accord V6 with my '18 CX5 NA FWD. The CX5 is too slow compared to my V6 Accord. I tried the '22 CX5 Turbo and also is not even close to my Accord, but also test drive the newer Accord with the 4 Cylinder hybrid and felt a very similar performance to my V6 and the Accord Sport 4.0 Turbo was super fast.
I wounder why Mazda can't make a faster engine that matches the extraordinary great handling of the CX-5

Old 04-15-2022, 11:16 AM

I wonder why you are responding to a 6-year-old thread. The OP hasn’t been back since he posted, he won’t see your post. You may want to check the date of a thread before responding.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macanhunter
By comparing my '07 Honda Accord V6 with my '18 CX5 NA FWD. The CX5 is too slow compared to my V6 Accord. I tried the '22 CX5 Turbo and also is not even close to my Accord, but also test drive the newer Accord with the 4 Cylinder hybrid and felt a very similar performance to my V6 and the Accord Sport 4.0 Turbo was super fast.
I wounder why Mazda can't make a faster engine that matches the extraordinary great handling of the CX-5
Really? The 2007 Accord has a 3.0 V6 with 244hp and 211 ft/lbs and weighs 3500lbs. A 22 CX-5 has 256hp and 320 ft/lbs and weighs 3850lbs. Power:weight is about the same and torque is way better and comes on much quicker in the CX-5 Turbo. I would be very surprised if your Accord could take the CX-5. They are deceptively quick.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maritmer555
Hi Folks,

I'm a long time sedan buyer currently driving a 2007 Camry with V6. At one time I did own a 1989 626 and was quite happy with it.
Based on lobbying from my spouse (she drives a 2010 v6 Sante Fe) and chats with relatives, I'm considering switching from the Camry to a crossover / SUV.
Reasons are varied primarily for ease of access and safety.
I am looking at Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, and Maxda CX5 and have a question for those loyal CX5 owners. The CX5 seems to have the edge on the reviews I’m reading.

My 07 Camry is a very fast V6, which I love. I have yet to go test drive any of the Suv’s.

It seems the 3 model Suv’s I’m looking at only come as 4 cylinders. Therefore I’m wondering is the CX5 responsive enough on demand and will I regret my purchase ?

I would appreciate any comments from those of you that made the leap from a v6 sedan to a CX5.Are you happy with the acceleration and responsiveness ?

Another question surrounds factory Remote starter-the local sales guy tells me they are not installed at the factory, but they do offer a dealer installed Maxda supplied unit that would extend to the base warranty of the car. Have any of you purchased this and do you like it? I’m not clear if it’s separate and distinct from the “app” mode (Which I don’t want.)
The CX-5 with the Turbo and all-wheel-drive is quicker. In fact, the AWD turbo CX-5 is quicker than the last version of the Mazda 6 turbo. With AWD, it's able to put more power and torque on the road than front wheel drive only. A 2007 Camry V6 0-60 time is listed as 6.5 seconds. 6.1 seconds for a brand new CX-5 turbo. I have seen at least one 0-60 test of a long term test CX-5 turbo that was down around the mid-upper fives for 0-60. I have owed a 6 Turbo Signature and now own a 2021 CX-5 Signature. The CX is noticeable quicker at lower speeds because of the the AWD traction, especially when taking off quickly while turning. In this situation the 6 would generate more smoke than quickness if you floored it. The CX-5 just goes.