Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IStop - how long is it supposed to keep engine stopped

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Default IStop - how long is it supposed to keep engine stopped

I have noticed that when I come to a stop IStop stops the engine (as expected) but keeping my foot firmly on the brake pedal the engine restarts after 15 seconds.
Are there factors which will cause the engine to restart BEFORE I left my foot off the brake pedal?

Old 10-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

If the batteries "State of Charge" is not close 100% it will limit the time i-stop operates to ensure ample battery capacity is left to restart the car.

The i-stop batteries are newish technology & have had quite a few warranty issues.

You will need to get the battery tested properly, & most likely recharged.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the information.
The car is just 12 months old and old traveled 12000kms. Maybe it is a battery issue.

Anyway you have answered my question as I wondered if use of accessories (radio, fan etc) had a bearing on it although I have timed the restart and it always is around 15 seconds.

I also have another problem with the navigation system occasionally going silent when it is supposed to audibly issue warnings such as 'speed camera', 'you are exceeding the speed limit' etc as well as when you adjust the volume of those warnings and it doesn't give you an example of the volume. It comes good if you turn the engine off and restart. I am waiting until it plays up when I am either near of going in the direction of the dealer to show them.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Take it to Mazda, they have a fancy pants $3000 battery analyzer. Also tell them about your satnav, there is new software updates for your MZD system.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Take it to Mazda, they have a fancy pants $3000 battery analyzer. Also tell them about your satnav, there is new software updates for your MZD system.
That is a good idea, thanks, buddy

Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 AM

Well the problem has corrected itself. But I am not confident that it won't come back.
I am of the opinion that it is a faulty CMU as I also have an issue with voice announcements dropping out intermittently (eg You are exceeding the speed limit etc) and the car has been to the Mazda service centre 4 times now and they (Mazda HQ) are still 'pondering' what the problem is.
I am very annoyed as it surely must be a problem with the CMU. Why don't they just replace it.
I am close to taking it up with the Department of Fair Trading as the product (car) is not doing what it was intended to do (what I paid for an upgrade to have this feature).

Old 11-21-2016, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Contact customer services at Mazda Australia, tell them you're fed up with repeat visits to the dealership. This usually puts a bomb under them & to keep you quiet & happy will authorize repairs.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:37 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I have phoned Mazda and they 'opened a case' although their records showed that they knew about the problem. That was 3 weeks ago and no contact from then since.
The car has been back to the dealer 5 times now and the last 2 times where they tested the car and 'extracted data' from the CMU to give to Mazda Australia and now the matter has been sent to Mazda in Japan. It is now over a week since the last time the dealer had the car. I also asked the Service Manager why can't they do a 'factory reset' of the CMU (put the software back to what it was when I bought the car). I suggested that if that was done and the problems still existed then surely that would indicate a faulty CMU. He said he would ask Mazda Australia. That was 5 working days ago and still no contact.

I am starting to wonder if anyone cares as no one else (it seems) are having these problems.
I am seriously considering placing banners in the windows of my car advising the public what is going on and what Mazda doesn't seem to want to do and/or lodging a case with the Department of Fair Trading.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by jgplarnold; 12-09-2016 at 02:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2016, 02:59 PM

Your asking for a giant to move quickly for one person. The data you gave has gone through a half dozen hands to the software team. They simply study the data and look for improvements and possible problems that they can work in for the next cycle. If they spot something for a hot fix then you may eventually see it as a TSB. However you will not see a personal interaction with them. If mazdas R&D considers a car to have a special flaw they would outright purchase the car.

Meanwhile just go the warranty route and treat it like a normal defect.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I am expecting faster response than what I am getting.
Not sure what you mean exactly and maybe you are not aware of the main problems I am experiencing viz
1) Intermittently there is NO SPOKEN information/warnings from the satnav even though the radio volume level decreases. Eg when the satnav instructs the driver to "turn left at the next intersection" etc it is not heard so the driver needs to watch the screen instead of watching the road, also when there are traffic warnings they are displayed on the screen but nothing heard. ALSO if the volume is changed you do hot hear the example of the volume level set.
2) When there are spoken warnings/information when the car exceeds the speed limit and the spoken warning is heard if the speed is reduced and then the speed limit is exceeded again a few minutes later there is a visual warning on the screen but NO spoken warning.

I have purchased a car and paid extra for the next model which has certain features (satnav, spoken warnings/information) which do not work all the time.
That is a defect and the car is not always doing what it is supposed to do. It may be the software but why isn't anyone else having the same trouble? What if it was the aircon which didn't work all the time or the radio which didn't work all the time? Worse still what if it was the ABS which didn't work all the time (safety issue)? The problem I am experiencing could also be considered a safety issue as I don't always get warnings that there is a school zone, or I am exceeding the speed limit!
At $38000 this is the most expensive car I have ever purchased!

I have made a suggestion to Mazda that the software be restored to what it was when we purchased the car new (and there was no problem) but they appear to be reluctant to do that. Surely if the software was restored and the problem continued then it would suggest a malfunctioning CMU (hardware). If the problem went away then I would realise that it was software related. Doesn't that make sense?

Last edited by jgplarnold; 12-09-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add text