Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:24 AM
KMC

Cleaning the contacts is a good idea and I agree should be tried if not to simply rule out the possibility of oxidized contacts.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:28 AM
KMC

Cleaning the contacts is not a bad idea if not simply to rule out the possibility of oxidation causing the issue. I will try it and have contact cleaner in my garage, I use DeOxit.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by KMC
Cleaning the contacts is not a bad idea if not simply to rule out the possibility of oxidation causing the issue. I will try it and have contact cleaner in my garage, I use DeOxit.

DeOxit is the best stuff out there, bar none.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 AM

I know it's been a long time, but since i had the car in to the dealer last and they replaced the MCU(?) the weather got too warm for it to happen again. This morning we got an unusually cold morning of 12 degrees and the infotainment system rebooted at least 5 times before the cabin got warm enough to keep it on.

I will have to try removing the nav card and see if it boots up normally. That would probably tell me it's a problem with its contacts, but if it still does it, I'll need to take it back to the dealer (will probably take it in regardless) as I only have about 500 miles left on my warranty and I don't want to live with this problem forever. Posted on another forum to see if anyone else has had this problem too.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 PM

If you do take it in, make sure they document exactly what the problem is so if it continues you can demonstrate that it was occurring before the warranty expired. No guarantees that will keep it covered, but it has worked for me in the past.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Figured out it was the Nav SD card. This morning (24°F) I popped the nav card out prior to starting and it did not reboot. After a while i inserted the SD card and immediately it started rebooting. I used an eraser on the SD card then wiped it with rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip. Then I inserted it into the reader and popped it out a few times, re-cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. We'll see if this works.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pat the Rat
Figured out it was the Nav SD card. This morning (24°F) I popped the nav card out prior to starting and it did not reboot. After a while i inserted the SD card and immediately it started rebooting. I used an eraser on the SD card then wiped it with rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip. Then I inserted it into the reader and popped it out a few times, re-cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. We'll see if this works.
were you ever able to resolve this issue? My 2017 cx5 is having same issue and I haven’t figured out the exact root cause.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hiphop29
were you ever able to resolve this issue? My 2017 cx5 is having same issue and I haven’t figured out the exact root cause.
Yes. After multiple visits to the dealer they finally said there was a TSB on the problem. The fix was a new nav SD card. It never did it again after that was installed. They said they couldn’t just try a new SD card before the TSB came out, because once installed that card will only work in that vehicle. So that would be a $400 waste if it didn’t work. If i can find the TSB number i’ll post it but the dealer should have that info. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pat the Rat
Yes. After multiple visits to the dealer they finally said there was a TSB on the problem. The fix was a new nav SD card. It never did it again after that was installed. They said they couldn’t just try a new SD card before the TSB came out, because once installed that card will only work in that vehicle. So that would be a $400 waste if it didn’t work. If i can find the TSB number i’ll post it but the dealer should have that info. Good luck.
thanks. I was able to find the tsb# but my car is out of warranty. Any idea if they would replace it for free?

Old 12-26-2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hiphop29
thanks. I was able to find the tsb# but my car is out of warranty. Any idea if they would replace it for free?
I doubt they will, but you never know. Before I'd plunk down $400 on their substandard nav system again, I'd instead just remove the SD card and upgrade to Apple/Android Carplay. I think that's the same price and you can use either Google Maps or Apple Maps to get where you're going. They're much better. The Mazda nav system is terrible IMHO. I was sorry I got it.

Quick Reply: Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold