Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Default Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold

I have a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring and I live in central PA. When the temperature drops below freezing overnight (which it does most of the time in winter here), the infotainment system keeps rebooting multiple times until the cabin warms up. Once the cabin warms up, it's fine, but I can't use the nav or phone until it does. This is unacceptable. I had it in to the dealer and they updated the firmware, but it's still occurring. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Its a ongoing worldwide issue. There is new software coming soon.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM

I have another appointment for them to look at it again on Wednesday. Hopefully they can solve the problem this time. Running out of cold weather for the year I think.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM
KMC

I have the same issue and had gone to the Mazda Dealer where I purchased the car...they updated the software...I still have the issue when less than 20 F outside. Today when I got to work and backed up...my backup camera did not connect when I reversed....turned off engine...restarted....waited for bootup...still did not work.. After lunch...warmer outside....started car...reverse camera now works...REALLY?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM
KMC

Responding to the 'new software is coming' comment. I am a Controls Engineer...30+ years. I believe that this is more of a thermal/mechanical issue where physical connections may be lifting due to the expansion/contraction from thermal conditions...this will not be fixed via software update. Also, I have 5 friends with 2016 CX-5 cars...none have my issue?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM

I had the car in today and it acted up when they started it. I think overnight temps were 24 degrees. They said since they had already upgraded the firmware, they are ordering an MCU (whatever that is) and will install it tomorrow. Running out of cold weather nights to test it, though! Should have taken it in sooner, but I always forget as soon as I get to work.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda has had nothing but issues with MZD connect since its launch. There's been software update after software update after software update. Not all Mazda's seem to be affected. Who knows when, or if they will get a handle on it.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM

i really don't think it's a software issue in my case since it only happens when the temperature outside is below freezing.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:22 AM

You won't try the simple possible solution that I offered in the other forum?

I know that you don't think that oxidized contacts can cause this issue but here's how it could happen.

When the infotainment system starts up (boots) it looks at the Nav card for instructions. If those instructions are garbled it can screw up the start up process. Depending on how the software was written it can cause the system to become unstable and possibly resulting in an attempt to re-read the instructions, a reboot.

If the contacts on your Nav card, or the Nav card reader, are slightly oxidized/dirty it can cause a marginal connection. It's possible that below certain temps that the connection becomes so marginal that the data is missing or corrupted and causes a restart.

If you don't want to buy some good contact cleaner try removing the Nav card (with the car tuned off) and take a pencil eraser and rub the contacts lightly. This can remove light oxidation. Then reinsert the card and eject it once more, then reinsert. Sometimes the wiping action of removing/reinserting can also clean the contacts.

Start it up and see what happens. I could be wrong (I was once before) and the issue lies elsewhere.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 AM

Right now it's at the dealer. I'll see if they can fix it first. If not, I'll give that a try. I think it's important that people bring these issues up with the dealers so Mazda has records of common complaints. I appreciate your reply and will certainly try it. Probably just removing the Nav card when it's cold and seeing if it booted up normally would tell us if indeed the Nav contacts might be triggering it. I'll get the car back today and hopefully there will be some cold weather overnight this spring so I can test it. Temps will be in the 50s-60s this week, though.

Quick Reply: Infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold