Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Vibration & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by TexCX5
I have also noticed the hood vibration and mirror shake at highway speeds also a small shake in the steering. Toyo tires on our vehicle as well. Going to let the dealer know as we only have 1000 on the clock will let everyone know what happens.
Any progress on vibration?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM

I've got a GT AWD with the 19" Toyo's as well but I've not experienced any of the vibration issues described in this thread. I have 2500 miles and about 70% of that is highway. I'm curious how this issue gets resolved.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Still haven't heard any followup reports...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Wife and I bought a CX-5 GT AWD two weeks ago that is doing the same exact thing. Literally described to a T by the original poster. It has the 19's with Toyo's

speeds between 55 and 80 the wheel, car, hood, mirrors literally shakes. You can feel it in your legs and see it in the mirror for example, it is almost not even subtle. Through feel it seems to be stemming from the back of the car somewhere and it sort of shimmy's side to side from the rear of the car from what I can tell.

I am very in tune with the cars I am driving, and its not the roads. I have been driving the same roads for years, its 100% related to the car.

We first reported the car as we were leaving the dealership and the dealer road balanced the tires and claimed issue was resolved, but its not. The car exhibits the same exact behavior as before.

I am so frustrated at this point - I just google searched this issue and literally stumbled on this thread so I registered to post my experiences as well.

My wife notices it too and she is car retarded.

Back to the dealer tomorrow to fight this. I hate dealing with dealerships, they are so inefficient with the methodology and process towards solving these types of car problems. I don't think this will end well.

The car was bought from Wayne Mazda in NJ, so maybe there is an issue related to a batch of cars made possibly with certain VIN's.. I noticed the original poster was from NJ too...

Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm still betting its the cheapo OE tires that are the issue.
I'd bet if you all replaced them with a better set of tires, same wheels, and had the balanced and installed properly (using a torque wrench, not a "Zip" gun,) that the problem would go away.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1
I'm still betting its the cheapo OE tires that are the issue.
I'd bet if you all replaced them with a better set of tires, same wheels, and had the balanced and installed properly (using a torque wrench, not a "Zip" gun,) that the problem would go away.

I hope you are right.

I do know all 4 tires we already road forced rebalanced at the dealership, and I would imagine installed properly. I am fairly confident though that it is not related to using an impact gun to retorque the lug nuts.

I'll keep the thread updated because I am sure it is impacting a good amount of people.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

READ this great find by Graywolf06: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ug-nuts-29458/

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-04-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Default Vibration

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Any progress on vibration?
Put another 1000 miles on and the shake has calmed down some, I believe it is the OEM tires, going to see about rotating them to see what happens.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TexCX5
Put another 1000 miles on and the shake has calmed down some, I believe it is the OEM tires, going to see about rotating them to see what happens.

I just spoke with the master tech who worked on the car.

He said there was a damaged belt in one of the tires. They replaced this tire with a new one. I am going to pick up the car tonight and see what happens.

I thought it was suspicious that the left rear tire had 10 wheel weights on it, and the other tires had 4 or 5. I understand it could be within range, but I think the tires were mounted and balanced at the manufacturer, they noticed that left rear was out of whack, and tried to resolve it by sticking 10 freaking weights on it. I am not positive if they have a machine that isn't as precise, but whatever flaw they saw on that tire wasn't resolved until now, hopefully.

Check your tires everyone!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM

roadawg - Thanks for thorough report and good advice. The red flag of excessive number of weights on just one wheel is a good warning.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration & Shake