Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Vibration & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Got my 2016 CX-5 GT about a month ago. No shakes here. Ride is smooth and enjoyable on the highways and everywhere else. No complaints here

Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 PM

Hi there - I have a 2016 CX 5 GT with less than 1500 kms (1000 miles) on it. Yesterday I drove thru snow for the first time and I spun the wheels on purpose just to see if I would notice the AWD cut in. Other than the light on the dash flash as the wheels spun I really didn't notice anything. After turning onto the highway I felt the shake of a very flat tire at 80 kph (50mph). I stopped and inspected all 4 wheels and they seemed firm to me, and no snow buildup within the wheels. So I get back in and as soon as I get up to 80 kph again the full car shake happens again. Run it up to 100 kph and it smooths out a lot. Back down to the 80 kph sweet spot and it shakes all over. I've owned several 4 wheel drive vehicles. All of them required manual engagement of 4WD. All of them had warnings about damaging the driveline if you continually exceeded 80 kph while in 4WD. I stopped my CX 5 GT because the shaking was an obvious problem and continual driving was not going to help and most likely would cause driveline damage. Remembering my other 4WD vehicles, I decided to push the TCS button on the dash to disengage the Traction Control System which most likely turns the CX 5 into a front wheel drive only vehicle. I then accelerated up thru highway speeds to 110 kph (70mph) and it was smooth as silk all the way. There may be a bug in the sensors, there may be a mechanical bug in the Traction Control System - I don't know. But what I do know is that stopping for a moment and turning off the TCS, does work. My wife also drives a CX 5 GT and when she called me yesterday as she experienced the exact same problem (with different tires) turning off the TCS worked for her as well.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Angry It's the TOYO R36 that shaked my CX-5...!!

Hi all,

I've found out and fixed the problem. It's indeed the damned Toyo tires that made the vibration during 110-120kph. I've changed to a Michelin LS3 and now it goes smoothly with no vibration anymore.

Next time if you found any vibration during high speed, don't just fix your car, fix your tires first...!!

cheers!

Old 12-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Default Uh-Oh, Here We go . . . AGAIN

Uh-oh here we go . . . . AGAIN. Vibration issues with the 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT that I purchase at Mazda of Poughkeepsie. After purchasing the car, I drove it approximately 80 miles, mainly on an interstate. I noticed very quickly upon getting to speeds higher than 50 mph an irritating vibration through the lower portion of the vehicle. The vibration was noticeable enough, shaking my mounted cell phone and causing a rattling from the boxes I had in the trunk area. I started to question myself coming from 2-3yr VW Jetta leases (of course, TDIs . . . don't ask about that experience . .lol) and a very smooth ride, but something was definitely amiss
I called my dealership and was told the cause was probably 'flat-tire' syndrome from the car sitting for a long period of time.I was told that 99% of the time that the problem goes away after 3 or 4 times out on the road. In my case, I drove the car 180 miles the 1st day, ending up on the Palisades Interstate Parkway (PIP), one of the smoothest roads I have ever been on and continued to notice the problem. I have brought my car to my local Mazda authorized service shop, Koeppel Mazda in Woodside, Queens. They confirmed the vibration and thought that 'rusted rotors' might be the cause. When I called POK they said 'no way' since rotors involved braking and that was not the problem.
Subsequently, I have read The Mazda forum (keyword = vibration) and was horrified to read this issue is potentially a nightmare to resolve . . . IF AT ALL espcially in the AWD model. Even more troubling is that my local service shop seemed to think the rotor rust could be causing the problem. It could be anything from tires, wheel alignment, drive shaft or UNFIXABLE. The worse thing about the posts is Mazda's unwillingness to step up and accept there may be a problem with some of their CX-5 AWD.
I am at the beginning of this cycle having bought the car last week (12/19/16) and only have 330 miles on it, but based on what I have read, I don't have a good feeling that this experience will end well.
I am kicking myself for not doing more research. Since I hardly do any winter driving, I might have considered more strongly the FWD version which seems to have much more reliability in this area. Since I decided to purchase, I thought the AWD would be the better resale. Oh well, live, learn and now, potentially . . . . SUFFER

Old 12-27-2016, 08:25 PM

@Ulfiemobile, don't over think this issue, take it back to your dealer, demand a loaner car, and let them fix it. If they cannot after a number of attempts (which varies by state law and I don't know what the rules are for New York), inform them you're going to invoke the Lemon Law statutes. I predict one way or another they will get the issue fixed to your satisfaction.

Last edited by shipo; 12-28-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:43 PM

I had a vibration problem with my brand new 2016 CX-5 GT after 45 mph. After the dealership did the typical spin balance, and did not fix the problem, they did a road force balance and found my right rear tire (Toyo) was bad. They replaced it and problem resolved.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:59 PM

I was one of the early posters concerning the problem with my wife's then new 2014 FWD CX-5. Like recent posters, we found the issue to be the Toyo tires. Mazda back then was aware that the issue was the Toyos. At that time, only Goodyear and Toyo made tires for the CX-5 .After trying numerous fixes w/o success. They sent four new Toyo tires to the dealer. They told the dealer not to replace with locally obtained Toyos . It was obvious that the tires they sent were specially selected as they were wrapped together and the dealer said the tires they get are usually wrapped individually. The new ties cured the problem. The car now has 48 K miles and the Toyos were recently replaced with Michelin . Even better. Quieter and smoother riding . Can't believe they haven't fixed the Toyo tire problem by now ??

Old 01-02-2017, 07:36 AM

My 2014 Touring was smooth as can be...especially when I went to Michelins

Now have 2016 Grand Touring AWD with the Toyo's and 19 inch tires....

It is vibration free....the 19 inch lower profile tires do have a different "feel" from the 17" when you first start driving them (could be the AWD)...but mine give a smooth ride. After a few hundred miles, my attuned memory of the 17 inch ride disappeared.

I love the car and the ride, especially when I put it in "Sport" mode.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Default Any updates resolutions?

My 2014 CX-5 GT AWD started to exhibit this vibration at highway speeds problem about 4 months ago. Usually not noticeable on shorter drives, but, on longer trips the problem surfaces and becomes more pronounced the longer I drive and particularly under load, like climbing a hill. New tires, road force balancing and alignment didn't solve the problem. Now I'm thinking it's transmission related. I know the Cx-5 transmission is supposed to be a sealed unit with no requirement for fluid change, but, I'm thinking I may take it to a dealer and have them do a change anyway. Has anyone had success in resolving the problem not related to tire concerns?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 AM

For any kind of rhythmic vibration, even one starting well into a drive and getting worse as the drive goes on, changing the fluid will have exactly zero affect. Having the fluid changed will be an absolute waste of money.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration & Shake