Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Highway Vibration & Shake

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM

I leased a 2015 CX5 GT AWD with Tech in November 2014. Vehicle was back at the dealership 2 days later due to vibrations driving the car over 60mph. Dealership road force balanced the tires. Normal commute is not on the highway so a couple weeks later when I finally drove on the highway the vibration was still there just not as bad as before. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and they kept it for five days trying to figure out what was wrong. It ended up being the tires themselves. The service manager swapped out the tires with another one on the lot and it still vibrated. He then got approval from Mazda corporate to swap out the tires for a different brand. He put goodyear assurance instead of toyos and balanced and aligned the tires and the vibration is gone completely. He said that he thinks there is bad bunch of toyos out there because when he drove a new CX5 GT on the lot it vibrated also. My recommendation try and have the dealer swap the tires.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by 2015CX5AWDGT
I leased a 2015 CX5 GT AWD with Tech in November 2014. Vehicle was back at the dealership 2 days later due to vibrations driving the car over 60mph. Dealership road force balanced the tires. Normal commute is not on the highway so a couple weeks later when I finally drove on the highway the vibration was still there just not as bad as before. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and they kept it for five days trying to figure out what was wrong. It ended up being the tires themselves. The service manager swapped out the tires with another one on the lot and it still vibrated. He then got approval from Mazda corporate to swap out the tires for a different brand. He put goodyear assurance instead of toyos and balanced and aligned the tires and the vibration is gone completely. He said that he thinks there is bad bunch of toyos out there because when he drove a new CX5 GT on the lot it vibrated also. My recommendation try and have the dealer swap the tires.
I'm glad that you were able to resolve; I was not as lucky. Tires are always the best place to focus on, at least initially, to resolve vibration issues. After several returns to the dealer, the Yokohama tires were re-balanced, then Road force balanced, then tires/wheels swapped (with balancing checked prior to installation). I then purchased a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels from Tirerack (Road force balanced), then balanced again. I also replaced the factory Yokohamas with Bridgestones but STILL highway vibration consistently remained. (Handling and tracking improved with the Bridgestones.) The AWD driveshaft was then also replaced. Nothing resolved this frustrating problem. (A test drive WITHOUT the AWD driveshaft seemed to help however the test drive was very short.)

Ultimate resolution was to replace this vehicle with the 2WD version. The dealer was helpful doing the trade but I was very disappointed--especially for all my trouble and frustration--that Mazda did not offer any $ to help defer my significant loss on the trade.

I prefer the handling of the 2WD vehicle and average MPG remains over 30--better than a 10% improvement over the AWD model. Insurance costs are significantly less for the same vehicle minus AWD (even my insurance agent was surprised at the lower figure). I think it's a little quicker with less drive train for the engine to move.

I wish I knew exactly what caused the AWD vibration issue but I suspect that it was related to the rear AWD mechanical components.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM

It's interesting that with some , the problem is solved with new tires and with some it is not . We have the 2014 2WD version. As stated earlier in this thread , ours went back multiple time for balancing alignment, etc until Mazda sent a new set of Toyos that fixed our issue .As evidence that Mazda was aware of a tire problem , the dealer was told by Mazda not to obtain tires locally . Instead they sent a wrapped set (not individual tires) of 4 new Toyos . Ours has been perfect since those tires were installed .

Old 02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Default vibration while driving over 50mph

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Any progress on vibration?
I too have the same issue, my wife and I bought the car about 6 months ago; mazda cx5 gt with the same and 19in rims. the shaking and vubration just started tonight it has just over 7000 miles on it. I feel it in my legs and it seems to coming from the front of the car as well through the sterling wheel. Has anyone been able to resolve it?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 AM

Check that you don't have any snow/ice buildup in the front wheel wells. That was causing it for me...

Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Default It has stopped.

Originally Posted by JonW
Check that you don't have any snow/ice buildup in the front wheel wells. That was causing it for me...
I parked the car in the garage over night, any snow or ice in the wheel wells or rims melted. My wife said it stopped. Thank you. Hopefully that was the cause. I have a ford escape with much smaller rims and larger tires and never experienced the vibrations before, maybe the size of the 19in rims and the smaller tires allow the snow to be packed on the inside of the rims causing weight indifference of the wheels. I must say the cx-5 is brilliant in the snow.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Default 2016 CX-5 GT Vibration

I was expecting a smooth ride home from the dealership after picking up my new 2016 CX-5 GT but between 60 and 80 the "vibration" began. Not huge but noticeable in the steering wheel and generally all around.

I am happy to read here that "normal" should be a smooth ride. While I accept the noise level and stiff ride of a SUV I cannot accept the vibration and what feels like a bit of hesitation like something is not aligned properly.

Call to the dealer and I got the "flat" spots will go away response. I am going to request a 4 wheel alignment and tire balance check and see where this goes. What a disappointment.

It appears that the factory is not doing a good job of aligning these things?

Thanks!

TomC

Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM

FWIW, I purchased my 2015 CX5 in November '14 and have had no problems with hwy vibration/shake. it remains quite smooth.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:47 AM
Default 2016 AWD vibrating at high speed

hey guys, I've noticed the vibrating since the first day driving my new 2016 CX-5 2.2D AWD back home. It starts vibration between 100kph-120kph, especially in 115 kph(71mph) it shakes noticably.

Initially I though it was just a tire unbalance problem, so I asked the dealer to do a balancing when it was in the 1000km service, the shaking reduced (especially in the steering wheel) but still remains (the body).

I read through the thread and send this thread to the Mazda's Office, they agreed to test drive with me again, with my car and their demo car.

The result, both car shakes at the same speed, so they agree to do some works/studys on their CX-5 AWD and figure out what is the problem and how to solve it, and then will come back to me.

I am still waiting for the answer, but I really hope it is simply a tire-issue because I love this CX-5 and how it rides and handles.

Will return to you after I got any updates!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 PM

More than likely with all the shakes and vibrations it has to be the tires. Auto manufactures only put cheap tires on their vehicles, at 50000km most tires are worn.

I had the same issue with my jeep, with the summer tires the thing would shimmy and shake, then I put the winter tires with rims back on and the shake was gone.
Off to Costco I went bought new summer tires and put the old ones on Craigslist.

problem solved.

Quick Reply: Highway Vibration & Shake