Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

High Beam Control and Smart Brake Support

Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Question High Beam Control and Smart Brake Support

Hey all, going out on a limb here. I just picked up a 2016 CX-5 Touring with the Tech Package and was wondering if anyone knew if adding the "High Beam Control" was possible? Is it a simple software update? Or are the mechanical additions that are needed to make it work?

Same question for "Smart Brake Support". I know the car is already equipped with the cameras on the windshield for the "Smart City Brake Support" feature, so what's needed to use both? Any info or advice would be great! Thanks!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 AM

The options you're asking about are part of the I-ActivSence package. I'm not sure how the high beam control works, but the brake support is done through radar. Unless you requested the package first, there is no way to add it to the car after it's been assembled. I wish I would have put it on my 2016 GT. the active cruise control is great.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM

Actually I think the smart brake support IS included in the GT Tech package (at least my window sticker says that it was), so the car should already have that feature installed. Caveat, I have not tested that feature though...

As far as the high beam control, I'm not sure if it's a software thing or not, but apparently it is part of the I-active package. Might be worth a call to your dealer.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:14 PM

The tech package comes with Smart City Break Support. It uses a camera to stop you from 2-18 MPH. The I-ActivSence package comes with Smart Break Support. It uses radar to either stop you, or just slow you down from over 10 MPH. this is mainly used for the adaptive cruise control. Different systems.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by J. Collins
The tech package comes with Smart City Break Support. It uses a camera to stop you from 2-18 MPH. The I-ActivSence package comes with Smart Break Support. It uses radar to either stop you, or just slow you down from over 10 MPH. this is mainly used for the adaptive cruise control. Different systems.
You're right, I missed the missing "city" in the original post.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by J. Collins
The options you're asking about are part of the I-ActivSence package. I'm not sure how the high beam control works, but the brake support is done through radar. Unless you requested the package first, there is no way to add it to the car after it's been assembled. I wish I would have put it on my 2016 GT. the active cruise control is great.
Yes, I am aware that those options are part of that package. However it would appear that I already have the hardware needed to make use of at least the Smart Brake Support and High Beam Control (visually comparing the two anyway). Was just wondering if anyone knew exactly what components that I may have or not have to make these options work?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:31 PM

What I meant was not to only point out that package those options are apart of, but that you don't have the radar hardware to enable Smart Break Support. It's use and application are different than the City Support.