Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full-Size Spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Taz

That's exactly why I was asking. If I'm going to get a flat, I'll already be grumbling about changing a tire, much less if I have to take off one from the back so I can put it on the front and then put the spare on the back. But then if all tires have to be within 3/32" how the heck do you know that when you're on the road and haven't used your spare before and the other tires have 20k, 30k or more on them? I've always carried a supplementary board to put the jack on - but it's a good reminder for those who don't. It doesn't take up much room and you'll thank yourself the first time you use it.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 PM

if your car is awd, check your handbook. what i did, is i bought a used rim, and put a new tire on it. at the time, i had just bought a new set of tires, too. then, every few months, i take the car in and have them rotate the tires, and rebalance them. most of the time, i get flats, so i put on the spare, drop the car off, and have them fix the spare, rebalance, and rotate all 5 tires. i get so many flats, this is at least a once a month deal. i do a lot of business with discount tire, and i make sure i also buy the "certificates" whenever i buy new tires. they always tell me if the tire is damaged beyond repair, and i have gotten several new tires under warranty. if you are just driving on the street, i would take the car in every 6 months, and get them rotated and rebalanced. several times i have used flatseal, then take the car in. i almost forgot. i have owned several awd cars-1988 mazda 323gtx, 1991 mitsubishi galant vr4, 1993 eclipse gsx, 2002 subaru outback. EVERY ONE eats tires. if you rotate, you will get a lot more life out of the tires. also, wherever you get your tires from, get the certificate deal like discount tire gives. awd tires will never get close to the treadwear guarantee, so you will get a large discount on your next set. my best experience was with yokohama. the 323gtx either came with yoko's, or i bought the first replacement set. they did not even get close, and the tread was at the indicators. i was at a bmw club event, and i spoke to a yokohama rep. he told me to tell him what tires and size i was going to buy, and to just call him with the info. then, just buy 3, and yokohama would send me the 4th one, no charge. when i told him what tire i was getting, they sent one the next day. impressive. since then, i have pretty much put yokohamas on all our cars.

Last edited by keninn; 10-27-2015 at 06:47 PM.