Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 PM

To some, this might not be a "problem". However, to some it is. When you pay upwards of $30K for a vehicle, you should be able to have a fuel tank that can actually be filled to it's rated capacity. It really isn't too much to ask. The way I look at it is if I'm unable to get that three extra gallons in the tank, that means that I'm having to stop one extra time at the gas station every three times I fill up. Or in other words, I would have to fill up four times to get to the same mileage as what I should get out of just three fill ups. I don't know about others, but my time is worth something and spending an extra ten to fifteen minutes at the gas station when I shouldn't have to is not what I really want to do nor should I have to do.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Well there you go. I only paid about $25k for mine, so I've got plenty of time/money for a few extra fillups!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM

I wish I could see it the way you see it. Perhaps life would be a bit easier for me, LOL.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 PM

A suggestion when putting gas in the car don't force the pump nozzle into the filler pipe. These pipes tend to be fairly tight fitting and if you force the nozzle deep into the filler pipe then back-pressure builds up while the tank is filling and trips the auto-shutoff.

The tighter fit between the nozzle and filler pipe is the result of laws requiring that the escape of vapor be controlled. My usual practice is fill at a slightly slower rate then when the pump clicks off I pull the nozzle out to relieve tank pressure, reinsert the nozzle and do a top-off of the tank. I will typically be able to fill 12.5 to 13 gallons with an indicated 30~40 miles to empty indicated.

This technique was learned from refueling of my Toyota Prius which has a rubber sleeve that fits tightly around the nozzle pipe resulting in tank pressure building up faster. Also, the station pumps are now set to be a bit more sensitive because fines against the station operator for a spill have gotten pretty steep.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tom95134
A suggestion when putting gas in the car don't force the pump nozzle into the filler pipe. These pipes tend to be fairly tight fitting and if you force the nozzle deep into the filler pipe then back-pressure builds up while the tank is filling and trips the auto-shutoff.

The tighter fit between the nozzle and filler pipe is the result of laws requiring that the escape of vapor be controlled. My usual practice is fill at a slightly slower rate then when the pump clicks off I pull the nozzle out to relieve tank pressure, reinsert the nozzle and do a top-off of the tank. I will typically be able to fill 12.5 to 13 gallons with an indicated 30~40 miles to empty indicated.

This technique was learned from refueling of my Toyota Prius which has a rubber sleeve that fits tightly around the nozzle pipe resulting in tank pressure building up faster. Also, the station pumps are now set to be a bit more sensitive because fines against the station operator for a spill have gotten pretty steep.
Don't check in here very often, just saw your post. Have tried what you suggest here before, didn't make any difference in my case. I have lots of experience fueling different types of vehicles. Spent 33+ years as a Fire Captain on a large Fire Department in Southern California, working on lots of different types of trucks. They all have their weird quirks, requiring creative ways to fuel. I appreciate your suggestion, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me.