Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Default Fuel tank capacity

Hi. The Mazda website mentions that the 2014 CX-5 has a 14.8 gallon fuel tank capacity. It gave me a low fuel indication with only 20 miles remaining which i guess would be another 0.8~1 gallon max. I just topped of my car with 11.2 gallons. So I guess the total tank capacity is ~12 gallons. Are the rest of the ~3 gallons reserve fuel?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Huh? The total tank capacity is 14.8 gal. (15.2 for the AWD, if memory serves me). The low fuel lite comes on early and it not very accurate. Same is true for the "miles to empty" figure. I've never been able to get more than 13 or so gallons into my FWD even after running past the warning light and number.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM

The sales rep told me that when the low fuel light comes on, I have 2 gallons of fuel left on a AWD.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tanzanite
The sales rep told me that when the low fuel light comes on, I have 2 gallons of fuel left on a AWD.
That's probably a conservative estimate. I just figure when the light goes on and the miles to empty couner goes to zero, I have 50 miles left in the tank.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Default cx5 fuel tank capacity

2014 cx5 owners: when you are on empty (fuel light on, under 30 mile range to drive), how many gallons are you able to fuel before the vehicle indicates its full?

my vehicle will not allow me to pump more than 12 gallons on empty of the 14.9 gallon tank

my friend with a cx5 can pump 14 gallons without a problem.

dealership says im wrong and not possible to fuel 14 gallons to the cx5 that we are forcing gas into the tank.... please help

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by kclall1031
dealership says im wrong and not possible to fuel 14 gallons to the cx5 that we are forcing gas into the tank.... please help
"Forcing gas into the tank." I'm not quite sure what that means, but I guarantee that if you ignore the low fuel light and put 450 miles of freeway driving on a single tankful, you'll be able to get 14 gallons into it.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM

I have personally put 15.5 gallons in my CX-5 by filling all the way up to the cap. I had traveled 540 miles total on that tank. Usually you can put in two to three more gallons after the pump clicks off the first time.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Hello to the forum. Just joined, found this site while looking for the reason my 2014 CX5 would not take a full tank of fuel. Seems like others are having the same issue. Took delivery of mine on January 13th. Came with a full tank of fuel, but I forgot to reset both trip meters so I had no idea how many miles were on the tank. After what I guess to be about 80 miles, I went ahead and filled up to get a more accurate reading on the tank. When I went to fill up, the fuel nozzle just clicked off, wouldn't pump a drop into the tank. I tried repositioning the nozzle, but nothing I did would allow it to add fuel. I knew it should take at least two gallons and possibly three. I then just figured that there was a malfunction of the nozzle. I tried pulling the vapor recovery boot back with my fingers and I was able to add 2.7 gallons of fuel. I went through that tank in about 10 days and went to fill up again. This time however, the fuel flowed with no issues, at least in the beginning. With the mileage on the tank and the Computer showing I was averaging 27.1 gallons, I figured I had to have used right at 12 gallons. When the nozzle clicked off, the fuel pump read 9.0 gallons, three less than what should have been. I again pulled back the vapor recovery boot with my fingers and added, you guessed it, 2.7 gallons. So, the issue is with the fuel tank/fuel filler of the CX5, not the fuel nozzle. I'm guessing that there is some type of venting problem with the tank/filler that is leaving too much pressure in the tank that is causing the fuel nozzle to shut off prematurely. I've still got less than 1K miles on the vehicle, so I can deal with the nuisance of not filling all the way until I take it in for it's first service. In my opinion however, this is not acceptable and should be corrected by Mazda. If I'm missing 2.7 gallons per fill up, my affective range per tank is reduced by around 18% or 75 miles at 27.1 MPG. I'm going to fill up my tank later today and will post my finding from it later.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 PM

As I stated earlier, here is an update. I just filled my tank after putting 263 miles on the tank. The computer said that I was averaging 27.4 mpg. If that is the case, I should have used about 9.6 gallons of fuel. I fueled the vehicle and the nozzle clicked off at 6.311 gallons. I then attempted to start fueling again, but the nozzle just clicked off without flowing any more fuel. I then did as I have during the past two fuel ups and pulled back the vapor recovery boot with my fingers. I was able to add another 3.656 gallons before the fuel started to bubble up in the filler pipe of the CX5. I'm a bit disappointed that this seems to be an inherent issue with the vehicle, it really shouldn't be a problem. I've owned lots of cars and have never had this problem in any of them until now.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM

I'm not real clear why this is such a big deal. My computer readout hardly ever comes off 30 mpg in everday driving. When I hand calculate it, it's within 1.5 mpg of that and it goes significantly higher if I get out on the road. When I fill the tank, it always registers 400+ mile range. When it gets down to 0, I know there's another 50 miles in the tank if I need it. This is my experience after almost 13k miles. Seems pretty simple to me. And no, the tank never seems to take what it seems it should, but I've got more important things to worry about. This is hardly what I would consider a "problem" with the CX-5!

Quick Reply: Fuel tank capacity