Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Engine just won't fire. Known fault?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Angry Engine just won't fire. Known fault?

Hi. Does this sound familiar as a known fault to anyone?

I have a 2013 CX-5 Lux 2WD with approx 55,000 miles on the clock. Driving at around 30mph in a residential street a few weeks ago, the engine cut out without any warning - no unusual noises, no unusual movements. I just coasted to the side of the road to park at the kerb. The engine hasn't started since. Starter turns well, but just won't fire.

It's been with the dealer for coming on three weeks now, and it seems neither they nor Mazda have the faintest idea what's wrong. It's a lease car, so I'm paying good money for this.

Presumably unrelated, but 6 months ago, while driving abroad, the turbo just blew, and thick, black smoke billowed out the exhaust. Car got repaired in Spain and I drove it back a few weeks later, though it seems the workshop damaged the roll-bar which had to be repaired when I got back to the UK.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

Last edited by elgaz; 03-01-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: extra detail
Old 03-02-2017, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Diesel engine?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Diesel engine?
Yes, diesel.

Having changed the PCM, they now seem to be suspecting the fuel pump. At this rate, the whole car is going to be renewed piece by piece.

Rather worryingly, I just had a call, after almost 3 weeks, to ask whether the car has ever been misfueled. It has, but was drained before the engine was started, and that was almost two years ago.

Last edited by elgaz; 03-02-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: removed info already included in original post
Old 03-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by elgaz
Yes, diesel.

Having changed the PCM, they now seem to be suspecting the fuel pump. At this rate, the whole car is going to be renewed piece by piece.

Rather worryingly, I just had a call, after almost 3 weeks, to ask whether the car has ever been misfueled. It has, but was drained before the engine was started, and that was almost two years ago.
Four years ago my wife and I vacationed in the UK and rented a Hyundai I20 diesel. I enjoyed my first drive in a modern diesel, but halfway through the trip I misfueled it (much to my embarrassment!) and, after stalling out about half mile from the gas station, had to call for service and have it drained. Guy drove from Edinburgh to Glasgow (about 2 hours) on a Sunday afternoon and showed up in a Ford Ranger pickup truck fully outfitted for this type of thing with side signs calling out something like "Fuel Emergencies, Inc." He said that was all he did for a living and that I was the 12th vehicle he had drained that day! Said he had one client who owned a Mercedes who had misfueled it three times! So it happens...

Old 03-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Yep, happens a lot.

Question is though, given that I realised I'd mis-fueled and had the petrol tank drained before I started the engine, is it reasonable to expect a fuel-pump failure two years later?

And when the fuel pump does fail, wouldn't there be some sort of warning symptoms, even just the engine spluttering a bit before it cuts out, rather than just cutting out and leaving me to coast to the kerb?

And why would it take almost four weeks to identify on a modern car with all its diagnostic data?