Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Do I want a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Default Do I want a CX-5

Hi there, new here on the forum. I am a current owner of a 2004 Mazda 3 sport hatchback. I am looking for a new vehicle, a little bigger with more space as both of my daughter's are involved in competitive hockey and I coach as well. I have looked at everything in the class and am now down to two vehicles, one of which is the CX-5 GT with tech package (the other is a Subau Forester 2.5i Limited with tech package). I really do like both vehicles for different reasons. I was hoping some current owners could sell me on the CX-5, and do you really enjoy this vehicle? Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

From what I've read in car magazines by car critics, the CX-5 wins hands down.
Can't beat the Zoom Zoom.

I don't own a CX-5, but I do work on them every day.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
From what I've read in car magazines by car critics, the CX-5 wins hands down.
Can't beat the Zoom Zoom.

I don't own a CX-5, but I do work on them every day.

Thanks for the reply. How are they to work on, and how reliable do you think they will be? I am leaning this way, just want to be sure of my purchase. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Good to work on. Very reliable.

Just make sure you always lock the car when not in use.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 AM

Thanks, much appreciated.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM

The CX-5 has been a great car for my family so far. We came out of an '07 Outback and we've never looked back. Having said that, the only vehicle that would have pulled us away from the CX-5 would have been a Forester XT, but my wife and I weren't willing to part with that much money for that sort of car. Where we are, AWD is a necessity in the winter so our options were slightly limited. Once we had looked at and driven a bunch of stuff and decided what we personally liked and felt we needed, it came down to the CX-5 and Forester XT. Choosing between these two was hard because a Forester would have been our 4th Subaru while we had never owned a Mazda before. However, we have no regrets. If I were to have one complaint it would be that there was no Mazdaspeed CX-5 option!
Anyhow, best of luck with your search. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. To me, the Forester is another little SUV while the CX-5 is sort of the little SUV for a conessiure. In my opinion if you're down to those two vehicles, you'll be happy with whatever you decide.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:18 PM

I test drove a 2016 CX-5 on the repaved portion of the freeway in front of the dealership where I bought my car and the ride seemed ok. After driving it on other roads that are less than smooth I find that I can't stand the ride anymore. I don't want this to be a complaint post but how can people say they love driving this car when it's downright abusive? Is there anything that can be done to smooth out the ride?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by johnd
I test drove a 2016 CX-5 on the repaved portion of the freeway in front of the dealership where I bought my car and the ride seemed ok. After driving it on other roads that are less than smooth I find that I can't stand the ride anymore. I don't want this to be a complaint post but how can people say they love driving this car when it's downright abusive? Is there anything that can be done to smooth out the ride?
It would be helpful if you specify which exact model and how long you've owned the car. But if it's still new and you haven't checked the tire pressures yet, do so. Mazda dealers are notorious for sending cars out the door with the 50# of tire pressure the factory puts in them to keep them from getting flat-spotted coming across the pond. They should drop them to the factory recommended pressure specified on the driver's door jamb during PDI (pre-delivery inspection). If you still find the ride uncomfortable, try dropping them 3-4 pounds under the recommended pressure. My 2013 is lowered 1.5" so it has an even stiffer ride than stock. I run my 17" tires at 30# (4# under recommended) without any ill effects and it helps take the edge off the ride.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:50 PM

Thank you paris1 for the tips. I've had my 2016 CX-5 Touring for about three months and about a month ago I dropped the psi down to 32. I might try dropping it further though.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 PM

Responding to the OP question..

We've ( bought for my wife but I "leaned" her this way) had out 2016 CX-% GT AWD for 4 months now and I have to say it is everything the many reviews from both the "experts" and the people reported. ITS A GREAT CAR. It's tight, buttoned down, smooth and fairly refined for a 30k baby SUV. I had an Audi Q5 a few years ago and this is just about as nice as far as fit and finish interior wise. The motor is a bit loud when your foot is in it and the mileage is not what it's cracked up to be when your "highway" average speed is 75 ( gotta love Montana and the intermountain west). I'm getting only about 25-26 at that speed constant.
I have not had a real test of the AWD yet but I had a 2008 Miata and while this is not that.... it handles pretty good for a 4 door SUV.. We looked at every thing in it's class including the Subaru's, Kia, all of them and to me this has the best looks, engine, transmission and handling of the bunch.

Quick Reply: Do I want a CX-5