Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I want a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by johnd
I'm curious as to why you regret purchasing your CX-5. I went from a 2014 Accord Coupe V6 to the CX-5 I'm driving now, and I regret buying either one. Of course the Accord with the V6 was seriously quicker than the CX-5 and had more features for about the same price. It didn't have nearly as much cargo space but the truck was still large.

I regret buying the CX-5 because I feel like I ended up with less car for the same money. There are several quirks that are rather annoying, but the deal killer has been the ride quality. I think Paris1 mentioned that I was the only one to complain to a great extent about this car on this forum, but I don't think most people would go to an enthusiast forum to complain... even though I did. I have read other people's complaints here but I would have to search for them as it has been a while. All I want to do is make any potential CX-5 owners aware of what they are getting themselves into before they buy one.
The electronics are low quality crap and I'm not a fan of this SkyActiv transmission. Instead of slowing the RPMs when I take my foot off the gas, they continue to rise for a few seconds. According to Mazda, this is normal but I think it's a flaw.

Never told me my iPhone 5 isn't compatible with the Bluetooth. Never told me the so-called HD stereo would fade in and out. Never told me this great Bose stereo can't get clear reception from FM stations with strong signals.

Mazda has failed to address these issues and continues to just say "that's how it's supposed to be" which means they admit the car sucks but too bad. I'm posting here and everywhere to warn potential Mazda owners about this. Spent a good amount of money on this garbage and regret it.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:51 AM

I'll agree that the electronics don't work all that well especially conpared to the Honda I had before. The Bluetooth connection is sporadic with my Motorola Droid X so I resorted to using the USB connection. Every time I go to the list of songs it shows me the top of the list or it puts me outside of the folder where the songs are located.

Yesterday I arrived at work and noticed that my remaining range was 19 miles. After a few minutes of idling the range increased to 21! Later when I left work it quickly dropped to 14 before I left the parking lot. I'm sure you have noticed that the outside temp is way off... showed 114 here in Houston but it never gets that hot here.

Originally Posted by Bull427
The electronics are low quality crap and I'm not a fan of this SkyActiv transmission. Instead of slowing the RPMs when I take my foot off the gas, they continue to rise for a few seconds. According to Mazda, this is normal but I think it's a flaw.

Never told me my iPhone 5 isn't compatible with the Bluetooth. Never told me the so-called HD stereo would fade in and out. Never told me this great Bose stereo can't get clear reception from FM stations with strong signals.

Mazda has failed to address these issues and continues to just say "that's how it's supposed to be" which means they admit the car sucks but too bad. I'm posting here and everywhere to warn potential Mazda owners about this. Spent a good amount of money on this garbage and regret it.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by johnd
I'll agree that the electronics don't work all that well especially conpared to the Honda I had before. The Bluetooth connection is sporadic with my Motorola Droid X so I resorted to using the USB connection. Every time I go to the list of songs it shows me the top of the list or it puts me outside of the folder where the songs are located.

Yesterday I arrived at work and noticed that my remaining range was 19 miles. After a few minutes of idling the range increased to 21! Later when I left work it quickly dropped to 14 before I left the parking lot. I'm sure you have noticed that the outside temp is way off... showed 114 here in Houston but it never gets that hot here.
Same here. They clearly went with low-quality electronics and it shows. Still amazes me that they claimed the reason my phone isn't compatible is because Apple made the phone after the car was produced and then tried claiming that it was Apple's fault because they're not releasing patches to allow the phone to become compatible. I'm in IT so I know this is absolute nonsense and when I pressed the Mazda rep, he admitted that even the iPhone 6 isn't compatible which means Mazda isn't using current technology. The entire electronics package is garbage.

I generally give the temperature + or - 5 degrees of whatever it says on the gauge. It can be off based on where the car is parked (sun or shade), cloud cover, wind, etc. I know it gets hot down there in Houston even in November but 114 seems a bit much.

Love that range gauge. Filled up the other day and when the pump stopped, it said my range was 371 miles. Then 354, then 340, then 321 all before I even started the car. Damn I miss my old Honda Pilot.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 PM

This looks like a great thread to follow in order to find a used CX-5

Old 11-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fdew
This looks like a great thread to follow in order to find a used CX-5
Make me an offer.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bull427
Make me an offer.
I don't need one, I have one and it makes me smile every time I drive it, but let me know the details on yours and I will pass it along to friends.

Different cars for different folks

Old 11-06-2015, 04:03 PM

I don't need one, I have one and it makes me smile every time I drive it, but let me know the details on yours and I will pass it along to friends.

2014 CX-5 Touring. Red with black interior. 11k miles. New Jersey area.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Come drive your CX-5 in the Houston area and see if you smile lol. I couldn't even smile at gunpoint lol and its got so bad that my equilibrium is messed up.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 AM

I love my 2016 CX5 Touring, no additional pkg's. Definitely fun to drive, good response, good gas mileage, too me riding over bumps are firm but not annoyingly bumpy. The sport mode/kickswitch/manual mode are cool/fun to use. I do know the Subaroo's (lol) have high trade in value. Not sure about the Mazdas. If anyone has info on trade in value please let me know. Thanks!!!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM

I just want to avoid any big surprises-like finding out it gonna cost $9,500 usd to replace the cvt, no repairs possible AND the reman is guaranteed for an astounding 24k-precious few choices if you wish a 'conventional' auto; and even then it seems to be they are all sealed-don't really know what this means.

Any oil consumption/head gasket/tranny issues-sure wish all I had to worry about was wacked out dash readings/Bluetooth/wifi stuff....

Quick Reply: Do I want a CX-5