Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Default CX5 Recall

So, I purchased a new 2015 CX5 last Saturday and this Friday the dealer called me and told me there was a recall on the vehicle. I can't find anything about a recall on the Mazda site or NHTSA (just a couple of minor complaints there not even any TSB's) and the girl who called me didn't seem to know much about it.

The purchase process was very uncomfortable and I wouldn't put it past the dealer to be pulling some crap. They literally, at the paperwork phase, tried to process the price of the vehicle differently than what we had agreed to. I got everything I wanted on the price, etc., but it wasn't fun getting there, so you can imagine that I'm none too thrilled to hear about a recall, especially when I can't find anything out about there even being a recall.

This was a new vehicle purchase, literally single digit miles, so I guess I drew the short straw but I'd like some independent verification at this point. Anyone know anything about a recall, problem of some sort on new CX5's?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Default Torque Converter

Apparently there is a potential issue with the torque converter. It may be cracked. Yay, 3-day weekend and pretty much no car.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Get a standard! if possible.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by cx5recall
Apparently there is a potential issue with the torque converter. It may be cracked. Yay, 3-day weekend and pretty much no car.
Who told you that? First I've heard of it and I'm a regular on another CX-5 forum which is much more active than this one.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Who told you that? First I've heard of it and I'm a regular on another CX-5 forum which is much more active than this one.
Service tech/advisor at the dealer who sold me the car. She gave me a pretty detailed explanation of it. Apparently it's a small subset of cars. Mine, may or may not have the problem part. They have to check the torque converter part number.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Hmm. I bought my car only about three weeks ago and my dealer has not called me.

Time to check https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Edit: Nope. No recall per the government website.

Last edited by UlrichTX; 08-30-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by UlrichTX
Hmm. I bought my car only about three weeks ago and my dealer has not called me.

Time to check https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Edit: Nope. No recall per the government website.
that site is only for a formal recall. when i worked for a dealer years ago(not mazda), the dealer would go to great lengths to avoid a formal recall. generally speaking, it has to be a safety issue in order for dot to get involved. internally, the dealer i worked for had campaigns. these campaigns were specific by model year, or vin. some of them were only done if the owner complained. and, in some cases, even tho the repair was covered by the manufacturer, customer was still charged. i believe a formal dot recall is good for the life of the car. a campaign is not, there is a time limit. the dealer would convince dot that since it serviced all the cars, the campaign would repair the majority of the affected vehicles when they came in for normal service within a short time. the problem here is that lots of vehicles are NOT serviced by a dealer, but an independent. my son went thru this with his 2002 nissan sentra. he had his car in for service at a local independent. there was a problem they determined was caused by the ecu, so they sent the car to the dealer, since it was still under warranty. the dealer verifed it needed an ecu, for like 1200. the independent mentioned the internal recall, and gave them the bulletin nr. then it was, "oh, yeah, ok. it will be done under warranty, no charge". the best way to check for these internal recalls is to have a local dealer you trust do an inquiry on your vin. it will then bring up every bulletin that pertains to your vin. it will tell you all kinds of stuff, where the car was sold, what options it has, color codes, and all campaigns that were done, and any that are still open(need to be done). i would do this yearly. however, since internal recalls(or sib's) can be cancelled after a certain length of time, a vin inquiry might not bring up campaigns that had a time limit, but were never done. i have never seen time limits less than a year. but i have seen many bulletins that specifically say to only perform the work if the customer complains. many new cars have a chip in the key. when the car comes in for service, the key is inserted into a reader, and a readout of the service history is instantly available. the service writer/tech is then supposed to then tell you about open campaigns. sometimes they dont. it is a real hassle to get warranty payout from the manufacturer. the local dealer gotta jump thru lotsa hoops, and the documentation has to be perfect. then, some manufacturers will not pay the going rate for labor. warranty repair nowdays is huge. local dealer dont want to break even on work, they want to make money. some are hoping you go away till the car is out of warranty, then you pay.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

At least in Australia, the recall was only announced in the last 2 weeks. Of about 40,000 CX5s sold in Australia since its lauch, only 271 CX5's are included. ( Less than 1% )
JM0 KE10*1 00 262152 – JM0 KE10*1 00 263076

Extract from the buletin,

CAUSE
This rework is necessary due to a potential quality issue with a component inside the Torque
Converter, which may result in the Torque Converter not operating correctly. In the worst case
scenario, this may result in a no-drive condition.

(Note: Approximate failure rate is expected to be 60% of vehicles inspected.)

Last edited by grim_reaper; 08-31-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by keninn
that site is only for a formal recall. when i worked for a dealer years ago(not mazda), the dealer would go to great lengths to avoid a formal recall. generally speaking, it has to be a safety issue in order for dot to get involved. internally, the dealer i worked for had campaigns. these campaigns were specific by model year, or vin. some of them were only done if the owner complained.
So really, what you are referring to are TSBs?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

TSB is a Technician Service Bulletin. Mazda puts out TSB to inform their techs of current problems with Mazda cars, it explains the problem, the cause and the best way to repair the problem & how to safeguard other vehicles from the problem occurring.

Quick Reply: CX5 Recall