Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 terrible in snow

Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Angry CX-5 terrible in snow

Well, after driving a few times in snow and on slippery roads, I have come to the conclusion the AWD CX-5 is terrible. The vehicle loses traction and wants break loose and lose control very easily. My sons Honda Civic FWD handles the same conditions much better.

So, I am hoping the issue is Mazda put lousy tires on these vehicles to keep the price down. Even if that is the case, shame on Mazda for putting such junk on vehicles that are driven in winter climates. It is also amazing to me that stability control ins't a standard feature on these vehicles. I had it on my Toyota Tundra, and even in 2WD with an empty bed, it was almost impossible to get the truck to lose traction.

Anyone else have the same experience with the CX-5?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM

haven't had a chance to drive in that bad of conditions yet and mine is only 2wd.

I'm not sure where you are located but in the US all the models come standard with "Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)** and Traction Control System (TCS)"

What tires is yours running?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Just curious what kind of tires come stock on the CX-5

Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM

If the vehicle has DSC, it sure doesn't work as well as the Toyota's stability control system. TCS is only for starting off from a stop. It provides no use at speed. I'll have to look into the DSC. Not sure what the tires are, but I am sure they are not a very high end all season. I'll check on it.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM

the stability control system can only do so much and if the tires don't have grip it really can't do anything at all.

Originally Posted by Reggaetrix
Just curious what kind of tires come stock on the CX-5
Depends on the trim level and probably even what country you are in.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Reason I ask is even though the make all season tires, snow tires are always the best for winter condition......these you tube videos were done in Canada to show the differences in handling and braking.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

All season tires are 3 season tires and start to fail under 35-40 degrees fahrenheit. There rubber is too hard and gets harder with colder temps. Softer winter tires help this with more traction. Now they also have All Weather tires which are better than all season tires. Search for difference.
Also, i am assuming, since it's a crossover/CUV small SUV, it has wider tires than a car, but yet this vehicle is light weight leading to bad traction in cold, wet conditions.
If you do go for a winter tire set-up go a little skinnier.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Default Hard tires

My stock tires have 800 thread wear rating, which are quite hard. I believe it is needed to get close to the rated mileage.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM

mine's been fine, its done the same 'push' that my fwd passat did when turning a lil tho sharply, let off the gas a touch then bring it back in and it goes ok, otherwise it seems to hook up just fine so far this winter

Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Thumbs down Terrible performance in the snow

I have a CX5 and have been really disappointed with the cars performance in the snow. In the smallest amount of snow I can not get the car to stop sliding. I have turned the TSC off but it makes on difference. If I am on a slight slope the car just carries on going. I was also hoping it could be the tyres, rather than the performance of the car. I have telephoned our mazda dealer but they can't offer any help. Does anyone have any answers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CX-5 terrible in snow