Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Horrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Default CX-5 Horrible in snow

I leased my daughter a 2015 Grand Touring and today we had our first snow fall in the NYC area. Barely an inch on the ground and the truck was horrible.
It would not stop. The slightest brake pressure activated the anti-lock and the truck just slid along. There was no DSC what so ever going around a small bend. The truck fishtailed and would not correct. Any one else have horrible snow condition experience?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:20 PM

Have you checked your tire pressure? My guess is they're over-inflated...

Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Banned

1) All season tires not recommended for winter, period
2) with those tires you really need to slow down on curves, before you get there
3) sounds like more than just snow, maybe ice?

All season tires start to fail and get hard at temperatures below 40 degrees fahrenheit, just imagine how hard they are @ -10 degrees!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 AM

We drove our AWD CX-5 to 10000ft mountains in Colorado at the middle of blizzard, and it drives like a champ. We had no problem of getting out of deep snow. In terms of stopping, I kept a good distance between the car in the front. Unless I slam the brake hard, the ABS wont active much; by that mean, tires still remain good traction. However, we have 19" Toyo A23 stock tires. I am not sure if they are better than those tires at 17".

Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Tire pressure seems fine. It was packed snow, no ice.
The truck fishtailed around a corner going about 5mph from one street
to another in the neighborhood. Just for comparison sake, we replaced my
kids BMW X3 with the Mazda when the warranty was up. The Mazda was a better value for the money. However the confidence level in the BMW is way
superior. You could not put that truck out of sorts in the snow. The stability and traction control was first rate. Thanks for the input!!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM

Put on a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s and go out and have fun. I bought used Mazda6 17 in wheels for mine and they work great.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:25 PM

See my post below from another area of the forum. I am hoping it's the Toyo's because I live on Long Island and the SUV better be able to get through snow and so far I am very disappointed in this vehicle. As an all around vehicle it is great, but snow performance is terrible. I do like how you can pivot the vehicle around and based on the horrible performance, your daughter should learn how to control a drift because that may be the only way to turn the vehicle in deep snow. Post is below

Outfit the GT model with tires that you can actually drive through the snow with. I have better confidence in my VW GTI and AWD performance is just slightly better than the 2WD car with the Toyo tires. In fact, I got stuck just messing around in a parking lot with 12" of snow on the right side of the vehicle. My old SUV was a 2010 Ford Escape Limited and the stock Michelens look like they could go 80K miles (60K lease was up with 56K miles), the Toyos after 25K miles and really bad winter driving performance, I am already thinking about replacing to REAL tires. I understand they wanted this SUV to be a car, but at the end of the day, when I think about taking out the GTI in several inches of snow because I have better confidence in it's all around performance (stopping, turning, predictability), they failed on their mission as an SUV. I drove the Escape in Blizzards and around stuck cars and through drifts of snow with just the STOCK tires. I now worry about snowstorms once again!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:57 PM

Hi. After the snow this past week. The truck seems to be handling better in the snow than I had previously reported. No further issues with the anti-lock brakes and the DSC is kicking in when called upon.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 AM

If it is for your daughter I would (and did) definitely put a good set of winter shoes on it.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 AM

I put a set of 17" Mazda MX-5 wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's on my CX-5, total cost of entire setup was <$900. Wheels were $350 used and tires + installation were $128/ea.

Reviews are in the the Blizzak WS80's and they are amazing. I'm glad I didn't go with the DM1V which are recommended for trucks. But the CX-5 isn't a truck. It's a Mazda 6.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Horrible in snow