Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 drivers door excessive wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Default CX-5 drivers door excessive wind noise

Hi folks,

I posted this over on mazdas247 but will try it here also.

I purchased a new cx-5 here in Ireland in January. It's the platinum spec (that's the high spec in UK/IRL models) with sat-nav. Since purchasing it, I have been plagued with excessive wind noise from the drivers door. It seems to be from the top and rear of the door window but sometimes I think it is also coming from the front of the window.

I have logged complaints with Mazda and my main dealer. They have taken the car in and tried this and that. At one stage they took the car off me for nearly two weeks and gave me a replacement car. They stuck rubber strips u inside the window seals etc to see if that made any difference. It hasn't. One thing I did notice was that the replacement CX-5 also had pretty bad wind noise from the drivers door.

The wind noise usually happens at high speed (80kph +) when there are particular cross winds. Today I went into work and heading southbound on my local motorway, the noise was crazy, like a mini tornado coming from the drivers window area. Going home on the same motorway later (heading in the opposite direction) it was nowhere near as bad. I am not talking about road noise, nor ambient rolling noise. This is wind noise and it sounds as if the door is not closed properly. The noise is intermittent and dependent on prevailing weather / wind. When it's bad, it's truly awful. I paid extra bucks for a high spec car with the Bose sound system but it's a joke with that kinda wind noise. It's as if the door isn't closed properly.

So, I am starting a thread to see if others are experiencing this. Have you tried any fixes? have you been to your dealer and what did they do to resolve the issue ?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Some early 2013's had this issue, it was one of the seals installed incorrectly. Search back.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:20 PM

I have searched, cant find anything.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM

What about my suggestion (on Mazda247.com) that you try taping off various sections of the door shut line to isolate the leak (if there is one)? You never responded to that. Is it such a ridiculous idea?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM

No its not and apologies for not responding. I guess I may try that at some stage. The fault is intermittent so I'll need specific weather but really TBH, for the big money I'm paying for this dam thing, I really didn't expect to be messing around trying to solve such an awful fault.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:34 PM

My wife and I just bought a 2013 CX-5 and the wind noise is also present on the drivers side door. I would also like additional information about this if possible. It is currently at the dealer going on 2 weeks now. The 1st week the dealership claimed that all of them make that noise, that was until I had the General manager and the Service manager drive the car with me on a very windy day. Sounded like the windows were down when we were driving down the freeway, and the look on their faces was priceless.....Hopefully we will get is resolved soon.