Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Just be glad you have good auto insurance! My insurance will pay 100% on a cracked windshield (no out of pocket) as long as the crack is longer than a dollar bill.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:00 PM

We experienced the same thing on our 2013 CX-5 which we purchased in March 2012.
About a 4"-6" crack just below the mirror. Out of the blue while driving on a nice sunny day.

So, If a dealer in Seattle replaces the windshield free of charge, shouldn't all dealers do this or are we looking at "eventually" a class action suit where no one gets anything but the lawyers?

Mazda, Are you listening?
If the problem is limited to 300-400 cars, it may be way less expensive to take care of it now than wait for the lawyers. I sure hope no one gets hurt if a crack causes an accident.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 PM

Own a '15 Grand Touring CX-5. Manufacture date of 04/2014. Almost 4k miles and no issues. Yet.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 AM

Good auto insurance replaces all windshields with cracks longer than a dollar bill at NO COST.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Always use your comprehensive auto coverage to replace any windshield whith a large crack for $0 out of pocket

Old 12-03-2014, 05:48 PM

I have a 2015 AWD cx5 I bought end of April. It has 12000 miles. I heard a loud pop the other day pulling out of my driveway. I couldn't figure what it was till this evening when my wife pointed out a crack just below inspection sticker-which is just below rearview mirror. Looking at it from outside the car, the crack is from the top of the winshield center--along the laser stuff for the Smart City Braking-to just below the rearview mirror. I will be taking it to Mazda in 2 days.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 AM

Remember, most high quality insurance company's (like my own) will replace any insured car windshield at NO COST as long as the crack is longer than a dollar bill.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 AM

@Goldsworthy,

I wish you would stop that meaningless reply about the insurance companies replacing the windshield at "NO COST".

As you may (or may not in this case) know, some/most of us get an insurance rebate if we don't file a claim. As I insure my house, two cars, and have a life insurance policy with the insurance company, I will not file a $500 claim and loose a $2500 rebate.

So, PLEASE stop the insurance company CRAP.

Mazda should contact all the individuals who complained and pay-up or else wait for the Class-Action suit. I am certain it will come just as soon as a lawyer gets his windshield cracked.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by OkieDokie
@Goldsworthy,

I wish you would stop that meaningless reply about the insurance companies replacing the windshield at "NO COST".

As you may (or may not in this case) know, some/most of us get an insurance rebate if we don't file a claim. As I insure my house, two cars, and have a life insurance policy with the insurance company, I will not file a $500 claim and loose a $2500 rebate.

So, PLEASE stop the insurance company CRAP.

Mazda should contact all the individuals who complained and pay-up or else wait for the Class-Action suit. I am certain it will come just as soon as a lawyer gets his windshield cracked.

Don't bash the other guy. He's giving you his experience. You're making an assumption that might be wrong.

The reason they raise your rates or take away a discount is to recover costs of bad drivers, drivers who live in crappy areas, drivers who are young and take chances, drivers who make excessive claims, drivers who buy performance cars, etc. But a cracked windshield is none of those.

Check your fine print. Usually, its not a 'normal' claim. It's not your fault, plus it affects the safety of the car. At least you can ask them the affect of making a claim of that nature before you make the claim. They won't cancel your discount for asking (rolleyes)

Insurance is competitive. Will they lose you forever for a few hundred bucks that isn't even your fault?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:33 PM

I do not have a CX-5 yet but I do have a vehicle with a cracked windshield and my experience is my insurance company will not pay for a cracked windshield either. The crack is much bigger than a dollar bill. My insurer is Encompass which is a subsidiary of Allstate.

Insurance companies do in fact log inquiries and it can affect your rate, eliminate your claim free discount or even continuation of your policy. One article is below from AARP...there are many more available with a search.

Can Query Phone Call to Company Hotline Raise Insurance Rate, Premium ... - AARP

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System