Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM

My Mazda CX-5 had a cracked window at 450 miles! I was behind a gravel truck and was hit by a loose small rock. The velocity of the rock was not very fast and I have taken much harder rock blows to windshields but my CX-5 windshield instantly starred out and then two days later ran a break 18 inches long horizontally through the windshield. I live in an area with a lot of construction and there are no laws requiring that loads be tarped so I anticipate that I will have many issues ahead. I also am not able to get a replacement window....

Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kalikojo
My Mazda CX-5 had a cracked window at 450 miles! I was behind a gravel truck and was hit by a loose small rock. The velocity of the rock was not very fast and I have taken much harder rock blows to windshields but my CX-5 windshield instantly starred out and then two days later ran a break 18 inches long horizontally through the windshield. I live in an area with a lot of construction and there are no laws requiring that loads be tarped so I anticipate that I will have many issues ahead. I also am not able to get a replacement window....
Unfortunately you need to give those vehicles extra following distance (not easy to do). They also have gravel on their treads and those can fling out as well.

Thought i throw this pic in just because it's frickin awesome: LED lighting from Rigid

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 12-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:45 PM

I thought the pic was to show articulation.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Default Came out to a Crack Windshield today

My car is 3 months old, it's a 2014 CX-5. I drove it to work and didn't notice any crack, but soon as I got in it to go home this evening I noticed a big crack coming up from the bottom center. There was no visible sign, so I called my dealership and the guy told me he will take a look. I was certain it had to be covered under factory warranty by the way it came up from the very bottom of the glass. He then proceeded to do what I just read from another post, he got a pen and ran it up the crack a few times, pressing hard, then stopped in the middle and pressed with the pen. He then told me it's right there, that is where you got hit. I said, what? I don't see anything, so then he dug his pen in more into the crack making a now visible mark in the glass. I can now very faintly see a mark where his pen dug into the crack. He literally just created that mark, but now it's my word against his. What am I to do... He said the mark was there and it would get rejected by the factory when they get it.

I am not so worried about putting a claim in, as my deductible isn't that high for a windshield, but it's just the point. I want a factory replacement, nothing hit my windshield.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM

We are about to put our second windshield on our 2014 CX5. On way to dealer for 5,000 mile Svcs when small "eyelash" and chip occurred. On way back from dealer chipped turned to footlong crack. I have a 2011 Toyota Venza with 30k miles and have those rock zits in my windshield but they haven't cracked! First, Toyota windshield looks thicker, more robust. Every chip on the Mazda has resulted in an "eyelash" crack. Will start researching why it takes so long for a replacement. Safelite Windshield tech says they will probably not make a replacement one because it is not a simple one. Maybe Mazda knows the windshield isn't tempered correctly. Too brittle?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM

To: mynewcx5, our first windshield went that way. Winter time, small impact below wiper blade not noticed by wife. Put car in garage. Car warmed up. Cracked up the entire length of windshield! I got good LED flashlight out and inspected windshield. It was just above adhesive contact point of windshield

Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 AM

please all , write to the link below. quality and safety should not be sacrifice for efficiency.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Old 03-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Any developments on the windshields on CX-5's, model year 2014's specifically?

Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 AM

Well, I'm done putting up with this issue. Just had my 3rd crack in under a year. This is going to be a chronic issue and this will be my first and last Mazda. I wish you all the best of luck with your vehicles.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Default CX5 Windshield cracks.

When we replaced our 2nd windshield the installer, who has done our windows for the last 20 years, voiced his concern about all the extras mounted on the window. In order to meet safety specs all windshields have to pass certain safety tests. I asked if these are done in a real vehicle, He said that they were probably not. Real world conditions, vehicle frame flex, rake angle, and even all the new tech attached could affect the windshield life span. On the plus side, he did say "Safelite" will probably make a replacement windshield in time. Almost $700 each time we need a new windshield with a $500 deductible will quickly shy us away from buying another CX5. A windshield on my old 2007 Accord was only $157 out of pocket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System