Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me...Is CX-5 troubled or not, and what about Mazda's lack of customer servic

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by keninn
here is a nice tool. just launched today:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
It looks like a nice tool but a poor name. 90% of safety has nothing to do with recalls, mechanical problems, or crash worthiness.

A good skilled driver in a good handling car is what makes a car safe. Crash tests are meaningless if your car allows you to drive it around an accident.

I have had the car behind me run into the car in front of me as I maneuvered around it all.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fdew
I have a late 2014 and it appears that all the issues have been addressed.

I push it hard on back roads and it loves it. No shake, no vibration, nothing but a BIG Grin.

On the highway I have to constantly hall it down from about 74 MPH That seems to be where it wants to run.

When you take delivery, do check the tire pressure, If the dealer doesn't catch it then it will be to high.

As a ex WRX owner, if you need a SUV then you need the CX-5 No question. I traded a Audi for the CX-5 and I am very pleased.

When you pick it up, please do me a favor and take it down rt 7 to 17, then take 17 over the mountain to Waitsfield and back. you WILL grin big time. I am betting you turn it around and do it again.

The ferry ride is a pain but it is small price for the area you get to live in.
Wow, that road, leading from Camel's Hump to Mad River Glen looks insane!!! I'll probably be on your side of the lake in a few weeks and plan on stopping down to the Mazda dealership at least to take a test drive

I have had the car behind me run into the car in front of me as I maneuvered around it all.
When you swerve out of the way at the last minute, you are setting the following driver up for an accident!!! If he can't see around you and see what's going on ahead, there's very little he could do in most cars, with the time available. I was in my '83 GTI (a car that people compare other cars to in regards to handling) following a truck on a two lane road, doing about 30 MPH, and with adequate car lengths between us. I could not see around the truck due to its size. The guy still doing that speed peels off to the right at a Y in the road, and there I am locking it up because right at the Y was stopped traffic. Missed hitting the car ahead by a few feet. Couldn't go left or right due to the road layout. Had no choice but to go straight. I still think the guy in the truck was saying to himself "watch this", as he lead me into what would have been a 30mph rear-ender

Last edited by andygold; 08-27-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Both my son and myself have 2014 GTs. He has an AWD, I have a FWD. Both cars run and handle wonderfully. No trace of high speed shimmy, no vibrating mirrors or hoods. I think this issue was resolved before the 2014 model year.

As for the windshield issue. I believe the Mazda windshields are a problem. Here in Arizona, we replace windshields on a regular basis, rocks are everywhere. Every car I have owned since I have lived in AZ has had a windshield replaced, at least once.

The second day I owned my CX-5 I took a rock chip on the lower part of the windshield. It has been 6 months and so far no cracks or expansion. My son took a rock chip near the top of his windshield just few weeks after delivery and within days it cracked all across the top. I think the windshield flexes more near the top than the bottom. I think it is something that Mazda should address and they probably will on later designs without admitting any problem.

Having said all that, I still am very happy with the CX-5. It is a great drive. The build quality seems to be good. The gas mileage is very good and for the price it is well equipped. I would not let your concern about the windshield issue stop you, especially where you live. You may never experience a rock chip.