Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Changing ATF

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Automatic Transaxle Fluid
#ATF FZ
Total fill 7.8 L
Drain and fill 3.5–4.9 L
Part #ATF FZ K020-W0-052E

Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 AM

If your going to be towing anything, it's best to get a transmission cooler installed. Changing the old fluid that has been discolored by over heating is a little too late don't you think. The cooler could keep the transmission from over heating and ruining the fluid/transmission in the first place. Generally the fluid is formulated to work at a give temperature range, it doesn't have to exceed it by very much to lose it lubrication qualities and fail.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 AM

I change my ATF every 30K. Just drain out, measure, and replace however much came out. Don't pay for some BS "fluid exchange." A pan drop won't get it all out, but it gets more than half of it out. Trans fluid is relatively cheap and chances are you'll only need 3-4 quarts. Unfortunately there is no drain plug on the ATX, but it's a good idea to replace the strainer (trans filter) when you're in there. The gasket for the pan is reusable.

I like trans coolers and think they're one of the best parts of a "tow package" but unfortunately Mazda didn't feel the need to offer a tow package or a trans cooler. Instead they use an oil cooler on the trans that uses coolant. These used to be a bad idea (because usually coolant is much warmer than a transmission would be) but there are two benefits: it helps the transmission warm up faster, and it keeps the transmission temperature stabile.

After reading through the CX-5 diagnostics manual I see there is a temperature sensor that can trigger a safety circuit reducing valve body pressure and disabling overdrive band and partial lockup of the torque convertor when fluid reaches 225F. Since it is supposedly synthetic fluid it isn't unreasonable to assume it won't break down at this temperature, and reducing pressure will lower the temperature and disable OD will prevent bands from frying. I can't locate an OBD code but my guess is this safety circuit will trigger a CEL.

Anyway, change your trans fluid often. Even if you need to pay someone to do it, it isn't more than $100 every 30K. Just don't buy into the $200 "fluid exchange" that doesn't even replace your trans filter that collects all the shavings. You find a lot of stuff caked on the bottom of the pan, too.