Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing ATF

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Default Changing ATF

I know it has been discussed before and that Mazda doesn't specify for changing the ATF. However, after pumping 3 quarts out of mine this weekend and finding it quite dark (see below compared to the new bluish fluid) I'm going to add draining and filling it to my maintenance schedule.

At 36,000 miles the shifting was becoming quite a bit more noticeable; including a couple really harsh downshifts when accelerating. Those were the type where it slams into gear and you can feel it throughout the vehicle. After the partial fluid change it is back to shifting like new.

To me, waiting for it to start showing signs of needing replaced is too long so I'll change it regularly from now on. It gets quite hot here in the summer which can't help the lifespan of the fluid either.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

I am 100% in agreement of changing it.

READ: How often should the automatic transmission fluid... — Yahoo! Autos

After reading that article you should be convinced to buy an external tranny cooler.

"As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!
At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles."

"On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 180 to 220 degrees F.
An auxiliary transmission fluid cooler is easy to install and can substantially lower fluid operating temperatures. The plate/fin type cooler is somewhat more efficient than the tube and fin design, but either can lower fluid temperatures anywhere from 80 to 140 degrees when installed in series with the stock unit. Typical cooling efficiencies run in the 35 to 50% range."

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 09-03-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM

I'm a fan of coolers but I miss the old days when you had more room, more access and more mounting options for something like that.

Last edited by HandA; 09-03-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Were you able to find a dipstick for the tranny? It doesn't state in the owners manual of any way to check fluid level. However, after some searching I did find what appears to be a dipstick, grey in color and held in by a hex head screw?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Thats right Kawazar,you have to remove the air intake to access the dipstick.It really is annoying and Im going to check up on the intervals,in terms of shifting Im not too much of an expert but its running pretty smoothly.This video will help if you want to access the transmission dipstick,this site also has other repairs/maintenance for most cars.
Add Transmission Fluid: 2013-2014 Mazda CX-5 - 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.0L 4 Cyl.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Only problem is, to check the ATF correctly, the engine must be running. You cant have the engine running with the intake removed. Easy option is to remove the plastic under-tray and remove the dipstick from underneath. This is the only true and precise way to check the ATF in the CX5.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Default How about changing the ATF

I plan to do some light towing, occasionally in very hot weather, with my '15 CX-5, so I usually change my ATF. Can I suck out the old fluid with a fluid extractor and then add fresh ATF? If so how much fluid does the system take?

Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by CoachDoc
I plan to do some light towing, occasionally in very hot weather, with my '15 CX-5, so I usually change my ATF. Can I suck out the old fluid with a fluid extractor and then add fresh ATF? If so how much fluid does the system take?
i have been doing this for years. i use the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. i can see exactly how much fluid comes out, and add the exact same amount. this only works if you have no leaks, otherwise, you have to adjust accordingly. great tool. i pump it up, it starts extracting, i go do something else, in about 5 min it is done. then, i flip the switch, pump it up, and it expells the old fluid into whatever container i use to dispose of the old fluid. since the 7201 is graduated in liters, i can see how much to put back in. i also always put in a bottle of lubegard:
Transmission
i also use the mityvac on the power steering fluid resevoir each time i change engine oil. on the mazda 3, i use the mityvac to extract the engine oil, too. way easier than crawling under there, and having to remove the splash shield so the oil dont get on it.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by keninn
i have been doing this for years. i use the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. i can see exactly how much fluid comes out, and add the exact same amount. this only works if you have no leaks, otherwise, you have to adjust accordingly. great tool. i pump it up, it starts extracting, i go do something else, in about 5 min it is done. then, i flip the switch, pump it up, and it expells the old fluid into whatever container i use to dispose of the old fluid. since the 7201 is graduated in liters, i can see how much to put back in. i also always put in a bottle of lubegard:
Transmission
i also use the mityvac on the power steering fluid resevoir each time i change engine oil. on the mazda 3, i use the mityvac to extract the engine oil, too. way easier than crawling under there, and having to remove the splash shield so the oil dont get on it.
Thanks for the info and confirmation. I'll start changing the ATF regularly after towing in hot weather. Better to spend a few bucks on ATF than replace a prematurely failed transmission.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by CoachDoc
Thanks for the info and confirmation. I'll start changing the ATF regularly after towing in hot weather. Better to spend a few bucks on ATF than replace a prematurely failed transmission.
also understand i do NOT own a cx5, but i have been working on our cars for a very long time. i used to flush the transmissions yearly, but now that we dont drive very much, it is down to 2 years. i used to drop the pan, yada, yada. really messy job. the mityvac makes this a really easy and clean job now. some will argue that the sludge needs to be removed from the pan, but i have found that if the fluid is flushed regularly, and good fluid(i really like synthetic) is used, there is no sludge left on the pan. i am sure mazda is using proprietary synthetic fluid now, and you need to be sure the correct fluid goes back in

Quick Reply: Changing ATF