Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Old 05-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Default not our senario

We got in our car, drove for 40 minutes, ate breakfast for 1.5 hours, came back to a dead battery.

If something could drain a charged car battery (we had driven it for 40 minutes) in 1.5 hours, it seems it would have gotten hot and and we would have smelled something.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 PM

I have 2015 cx 5 and experienced dead battery issue before my first payment was due. I read several things that could cause this. One:not locking my car. I know it sounds crazy actually insane but I think the mechanic who posted that was right. It seems if I forget to lock my car, it seems my car doesn't want to start. I don't won't to lock my car at home so this is a bad design issue, however if you don't want a dead battery lock your car even at home in your garage😁😁😁😁😁

Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Default maybe the firmware?

maybe the firmware needs the "lollipop" update.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JWRANCH
I don't won't to lock my car at home so this is a bad design issue, however if you don't want a dead battery lock your car even at home in your garage😁😁😁😁😁
You may want to re-read your car insurance policy. You maybe voiding cover by not locking you car when not in use.

Definitely not a design flaw.

And I am that Mechanic who keeps warning CX-5 owners to always lock their vehicle.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Default Battery

Grim reaper why don't the dealerships know that? I called them when my car wouldn't start and they tried trouble shooting with me over the phone. They came up with: it was my remote that was bad and wanted me to have my car towed to them. Never asked me if I was locking my car. With so many complaints of dead batteries it seems they should know this. Maybe in some of there service meetings they should read these forums so they can be as informed as you.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JWRANCH
Grim reaper why don't the dealerships know that? I called them when my car wouldn't start and they tried trouble shooting with me over the phone. .
I'm with JW on this one. I talked to two different dealerships and the US Rep, they ALL played dumb.

Failure information in this day and age ALL goes in a database. You and I may not have access to it, but Mazda certainly does. That's how they are able to fix common issues that come up, and implement them in the next "version" or when the car goes in for service and they do updates.

When I worked in service (FLUKE for 35 years), for the first 2 years we would do the above. When out of warranty, if it came in for a paid repair we would do the same without charging extra, no matter how many items needed to be replaced unless there was obvious customer abuse. It was all covered in the standard repair pricing. When the units left service they ALL had to meet the specs of a brand new unit. The engineers would "data mine" the repair reports monthly looking for repeat issues, or complaints from users.

I know calibrators are different than cars, but the modern day improvement process all works the same. So I think Mazda probably knows about this issue, they just have not figured the root cause and how to fix it.

Last edited by butchdon; 05-23-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Troubleshooting a non starting car over the phone is damn right difficult, so many different things can go wrong. Customers not locking their car would be down the list of probable causes.

If you read your owners manual it will tell you to always lock your car. Its car ownership logic 101.

Do you lock your house when you go out?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM

If I read the owners manual it is not going to tell me to lock my car to keep the battery from dying. It would generally be done for safety and property protection.

Ours was locked. We were only gone for 1.5 hours while we ate breakfast, after we had just driven it for 40 minutes. You could spend that same 1.5 hours cleaning/detailing your car with the radio on, and that would not kill the battery unless it was old and needed replacement anyway.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Default Dead battery jumped now has no power

[Dead battery jumped now has no power

QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by jdude1
ok soooo i have a 2014 grand touring cx-5 with 12,000 miles the temp. here was 18 degrees at night went out after work to start the car and it sounded a little weak barley noticable , drove it 3 blocks got out let it idle for 20min came back and all warning lights were on in the dash including check engine,

shut the car off restarted all lights off except check engine light - went to AZ got the code reader cleard the code , suspected the battery had it load tested battery was only 12.5 and was bad, called mazda - they said they put in batteries different than the ones they come from the factory with if they are replaced , im in wyoming small town no dealer, so i got the duralast battery group#26R 575 CCA got it installed car started strong ,

i noticed battery was smaller than original by quite a bit i will look to see if the next size up will fit for more CCA's - the original is a PANASONIC POS!!!! get rid of it as fast as you can it is chineese JUNK. im just glad i got mine checked befor the weather got real cold or i was stuck somewhere -- by the way put insulation around new battery cause there is none

Old 05-08-2020, 03:58 PM

My 2016 CX5 AWD GT had a dead battery after sitting out front for a week. Jumped it and charged but happened again a few days later. Dead cell in battery. I know deep discharging a car battery usually starts a death cycle, but this was the 1st time after 4 years. 4 years is a little shorter than I'm used too.

Anyways after the battery was replaced with the best Interstate had in this size, I measured the battery drain:
Right after off: ~2.5A
~2min later: Relay clicks, ~2A
another couple minutes: 0.5A
After another ~30s : 0.35A
5 min later: 0.2A

Locking it didn't bring it below that. All lights were off.

Seems a little high. What is normal?

We do have an aftermarket remote starter.

Tim

Last edited by TWrecks; 05-08-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died