Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 AM

I have been having this problem and I am pretty disgusted and fed up at this point.

I bought my 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD at the end of July. During Labor Day weekend, after not driving the car for 3 days, it would not start. I had the car jump started and took it in to the dealer. They told me I must have left something on because they could not find anything wrong with the car. I assured them I most certainly did NOT leave anything on. They recharged the battery and sent me home.

THE NEXT MORNING my car would not start. I had it jump started again and took it back to the dealer. Spent the whole morning there. They finally told me that the battery had a defective cell in it and replaced the battery.

TWO WEEKS LATER the car would not start. I had it jump started AGAIN and took it back to the dealer. This time they told me it was the SkyLink unit (the aftermarket tracking device the dealer sold/installed). They replaced the SkyLink unit.

ONE MONTH LATER (2 days ago) THE CAR WOULD NOT START. It is at the dealer right now. I am so livid and fed up that the brand new car I have not even had for THREE months cannot be relied on to start. It hasn't even had its first oil change yet. I did not buy a new car after twelve years of driving the same car to deal with this crap.

Now they are saying it is likely the "harness" that the SkyLink plugs into. If that was even a remote possibility, it should have been replaced the last time when they replaced the SkyLink unit. To even chance that a customer who has just spent over $30k on a car would have to come in a fourth time because their brand new car won't reliably start is ridiculous.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JonW
I've had 2 cases where my battery was drained below the point where it would start the engine (both my fault):

1) rear hatch was not completely closed and the light in the back was on for several days. I now make sure it's closed and latched when I close it.

2) After trying to get my USB drive to work with the Accessory on (without the engine started) I only pressed the start button once when leaving the car. This left the accessory on all day, and my dashcam and radio drained the battery. I know this because my dashcam had 8 hours of video of cars driving up and down the street at the end of my driveway...

In both cases I was able to either charge the battery from a charger or get a jump from another vehicle via battery cables.
Thank you for your complete honesty. I believe the majority of the CX5 battery issues are caused by customers just like you. Because once the battery is flat there is no way of checking what position the ignition switch was in beforehand.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Hi!

If you look at my posts, you will notice that I had all kinds of problems with starting my CX-5 at around 3,000 kms. And you will find a list of actions the dealership took to address the problem in post #32. Maybe these can enlighten your dealership.

I have had NO problems with CX-5 since the last intervention….and I last picked it up 7 months ago. Unfortunately SH** happens and everyone once in a while it falls on me…and you!

In my case the dealership was quite supportive. And I was able to negotiate a few favours as a way to compensate for the inconvenience. Be creative ask your dealership to make it up to you.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 PM

I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I have less than 3000 miles on it and haven't yet gotten my first oil change. I left for 1 week (my car was parked in the garage). When I returned, I opened the door and the lights turned on as usual. However, when I put my foot on the break and pressed "start", the car wouldn't turnover. I had to call my insurance company's road side assistance to jump the battery.

The guy who jumped the battery said that I'm supposed to turn on the car everyday. I never had such issues with my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. I'd leave it outside for weeks and it would start like a champ. Why would my brand new CX-5 battery need to be jumped after 1 week of no driving? Also, why would the lights in the car turn on if the battery was dead?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Did you lock the vehicle before you left it for a week?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2015-CX5-AWD
I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I have less than 3000 miles on it and haven't yet gotten my first oil change. I left for 1 week (my car was parked in the garage). When I returned, I opened the door and the lights turned on as usual. However, when I put my foot on the break and pressed "start", the car wouldn't turnover. I had to call my insurance company's road side assistance to jump the battery.

The guy who jumped the battery said that I'm supposed to turn on the car everyday. I never had such issues with my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. I'd leave it outside for weeks and it would start like a champ. Why would my brand new CX-5 battery need to be jumped after 1 week of no driving? Also, why would the lights in the car turn on if the battery was dead?
On my Mazda 6, my headlights also come on when starting. To stop this i pull the handbrake which turns off the lights. It is easier for a car to start without having the headlights on so i make it a practice to pull my handbrake when parking the car. It takes less energy to turn on headlights than it does to start a car, that's why your lights were on. If you turn your lights off when starting (by pulling handbrake, hopefully) now you have more energy available to start the car.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by inferno17
I have been having this problem and I am pretty disgusted and fed up at this point.

I bought my 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD at the end of July. During Labor Day weekend, after not driving the car for 3 days, it would not start. I had the car jump started and took it in to the dealer. They told me I must have left something on because they could not find anything wrong with the car. I assured them I most certainly did NOT leave anything on. They recharged the battery and sent me home.

THE NEXT MORNING my car would not start. I had it jump started again and took it back to the dealer. Spent the whole morning there. They finally told me that the battery had a defective cell in it and replaced the battery.

TWO WEEKS LATER the car would not start. I had it jump started AGAIN and took it back to the dealer. This time they told me it was the SkyLink unit (the aftermarket tracking device the dealer sold/installed). They replaced the SkyLink unit.

ONE MONTH LATER (2 days ago) THE CAR WOULD NOT START. It is at the dealer right now. I am so livid and fed up that the brand new car I have not even had for THREE months cannot be relied on to start. It hasn't even had its first oil change yet. I did not buy a new car after twelve years of driving the same car to deal with this crap.

Now they are saying it is likely the "harness" that the SkyLink plugs into. If that was even a remote possibility, it should have been replaced the last time when they replaced the SkyLink unit. To even chance that a customer who has just spent over $30k on a car would have to come in a fourth time because their brand new car won't reliably start is ridiculous.
Check out my posts- ExecFem - I had very similar problems. But finally after several visits to the dealership---problems solved - I too was told by some that I should drive my car every day - but since the problems have been fixed I have not had any other problems, and I don't drive it every day... good luck

Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Check out my posts- ExecFem - I had very similar problems. But finally after several visits to the dealership---problems solved - I too was told by some that I should drive my car every day - but since the problems have been fixed I have not had any other issue, and I don't drive it every day... good luck!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Hi,

No, my car was left in my garage for a week. I don't generally lock the door when it's in the garage.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2015-CX5-AWD
Hi,

No, my car was left in my garage for a week. I don't generally lock the door when it's in the garage.
I'll bet grim reaper says "then the ecu isn't in shutdown mode, it's still active, hence the power draw".

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died