Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

AWD or FWD for towing in the CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Default AWD or FWD for towing in the CX-5

I am seriously considering getting a CX5 as my new car ( currently debating between a CX5 and an MX5...yeah it's complicated ). One thing that interests me about it is the 2000 lbs towing capacity. I know other CUVs have higher towing but the 2016 Red CX5 GT looks a lot sexier. I live like 3 miles from a Lowes I was thinking about getting a trailer that weighs about 350 lbs and using that for garden pavers and lumber for house renovations and maybe a riding lawn mower.

My question is how much better is AWD for towing than the FWD? I liked the fuel economy for the FWD since I have a 50 mile commute to the hospital and I know it will take a hit if you get it in AWD. I don't do too much off-roading ( just for camping ) so I dont think I would need AWD for that. It does snow and Ice over in my area occasionally and with my job I cant really miss work so if I went with FWD I would invest in some snow chains. Can anyone who tows regularly tell me if it is worth it to upgrade to AWD vs just staying with FWD?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:59 PM

If you're just locally going back and forth to Lowes on level streets in non-snowy weather I think you'd be fine with FWD. For heavier trailer/tongue weights, towing on long trips, up and down mountains and or in winter weather I'd recommend AWD.

I have a 750 lb. teardrop trailer and probably a 900 lb. trailer for hauling PA gear and have AWD. I've never had a problem in any weather and crossing the country twice with it (up and down lots of mountains).

If you are going to be towing more than 1000 lbs. I'd recommend looking into trailer brakes and a controller in the CX5.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Generally speaking, I agree with everything JonW said above. Although I would question whether AWD offers any advantage at all towing any weight trailer unless there is snow or ice involved.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 PM

I have towed extensively with both and as has been said, in non slipery weather, it makes no difference

Old 07-12-2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JonW
If you're just locally going back and forth to Lowes on level streets in non-snowy weather I think you'd be fine with FWD. For heavier trailer/tongue weights, towing on long trips, up and down mountains and or in winter weather I'd recommend AWD.

I have a 750 lb. teardrop trailer and probably a 900 lb. trailer for hauling PA gear and have AWD. I've never had a problem in any weather and crossing the country twice with it (up and down lots of mountains).

If you are going to be towing more than 1000 lbs. I'd recommend looking into trailer brakes and a controller in the CX5.

I'm glad to hear that people actually do tow with these because i was stuck on the whole Truck vs SUV thing until I learned about trailers. I will check out the trailer brakes like you said. I also just realized the problem in that my house is on a hill and I might need a AWD to get up the grass hill to my backyard. Unless I decide to have it paved with asphalt lol

Old 07-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ThundeRN
I'm glad to hear that people actually do tow with these because i was stuck on the whole Truck vs SUV thing until I learned about trailers. I will check out the trailer brakes like you said. I also just realized the problem in that my house is on a hill and I might need a AWD to get up the grass hill to my backyard. Unless I decide to have it paved with asphalt lol
That plus your previous remark about occasional ice and snow and your job might push you into the AWD camp. The downside is minor with a relatively simple system such as Mazda uses and the peace of mind might be worth it.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ThundeRN
I like the trailer option as opposed to a truck. I need to haul something about 6 times a year. With a trailer, when I am not hauling I am driving a fun car. When I get my load of building material or mulch or whatever home I can park it, unhutch and leave it there on the trailer.

Also a trailer lasts for years, is low maintenance, and cheep to register.

I tow a utility trailer and a purpose built trailer for my hobby. I have towed a camper. I have never wished I had a truck.