Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Default Free Map Upgrade

It says that those of us who bought the Nav system (or was forced upon us when we wanted other features in the tech package) that we get one free map update. Does anyone know how that works?

I did connect the memory card to my computer and downloaded the latest software release but immediately after that it keeps asking me if I want to purchase new maps because my map has been updated twice since the version I have installed.

Speaking of the software update, that was real fun... You insert the memory card into the car, turn on the accessory mode and just wait "forever" for the software to be copied from the memory card and I guess "installed" in the Tom-Tom unit. Glad I was parked and didn't want to listen to the radio...

Oh, by the way, I bought our AWD CX-5 GT on Saturday. Love it so far. My car is a MX-5 PRHT so now we have two cars that are fun to drive...

Last edited by jmonza; 06-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Congrats on your new CX-5.

btw, what's a PRHT?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Congrats on your new CX-5.

btw, what's a PRHT?
The PRHT is the Power Hard Top version of the MX-5.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 PM

I've never used a navigation device before the CX5. I went in and entered my destination and entered in my home information and I made a 220 mile round trip with no hiccups. The navigation worked beautifully with no errors. I can't understand how I lived with out one before.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Zeal Red
I've never used a navigation device before the CX5. I went in and entered my destination and entered in my home information and I made a 220 mile round trip with no hiccups. The navigation worked beautifully with no errors. I can't understand how I lived with out one before.
Now you see many buyers insist on having nav. Sure it can be done with cell phone and/or portable nav, but the built-in nav is so convenient (and doesn't get stolen by losers).

Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM

for those of you with problems with the voice control, go to mymazda.com register and send in a complaint, then go to tomtoms site and make a complaint.
the only way to get tomtom to fix this crappy coding is for enough complaints and pressure from mazda to get it right

Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 AM

I agree, great new vehicle being tainted by basic issues w/ the NAV and Bt.

I asked about Map updates and could swear the salesmen said for one year. Then when i went to service to get roofrack installed i asked about updating the SD card for the NAV and i got a lot of blank looks. Its clear, at least at my dealer, they don't know the details nor the process.

I have experienced the same issues w/ voice recognition.

I have experienced periodic freezes of the NAV over the last 3+ days. I'll be on route, not deviating, then the screen just freezes for > 20-30 seconds?

Also over the last 3+ days, the Bt hands free to my iphone, which has been working great, decided to give problems. Mainly when i try to listen to vmails - click on vm on phone, I see PhoneSys switch to Bt like its trying to take it from the phone, then it just switches back to whatever i had before. Nav or Stereo.

Then i tried to start from scratch, meaning delete my iphone from the system and re-pair. Not straight forward.

As mentioned, Mazda has awesome goals wrt CX-5 : NAV + AUDIO + Bt .... if they work!! I do hope someone from Mazda is listening since the car itself is great but this kind of bad experience w/ the 'Technology' system that all drivers deal with 100% of the time in while in the car - is definitely enough to make me steer clear of Mazda in the future... I do hope they fix this ...

Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM

As a previous complainer of the voice recognition part of the NAV, I will say it does a good job of getting you where you want to go as long as you pre-program the address before you drive. Good graphics and lots of information.

I did contact Mazda about the voice recognition issues, hope it helps.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Thumbs up Update on voice rec and 'free map update 60day'

I was originally very frustrated but a call direct to mazda customer service followed by call to TomTom got me passed a couple of issues. Hope this helps.

1. Got the MAP update new owners are entitled to within 60 days of purchase
2. some progress with the 'voice cognition' performance.

1. Map updates for 60 days. New owners get this but who knows how long the car has been through shipping/transport, shipped to local dealer, etc, etc.
Call to TomTom - 1-866-486-6866; Got number from mazda cust support

* make sure your using TomTom HOME
* make sure you have valid username/password
* make sure your SD card NB1 is 'your device'. I had to change my equip frm portable Go760 to the SD card based NB1. I think it only allows one at a time.
* plug in SD card, HOME will read it - doesn't show free maps
* goto 'Help | System Info' - this will give DeviceCode + SerialNum among other things under the 'Connected device' heading
*** Now Call TomTom
* I gave them: email address, said i have new vehicle, purchase date, and i'm not getting maps.
---- he put me on hold a few times to check things. He verified information, then came back and updated my account (while on phone) to allow USA_Canada maps. FYI - version on card was 875.3844, latest are at 890.4240.
* i did have to 'eject card', then SIGN-OUT, Close TomTomHOME.
* then he uploaded info (and map ?) to my account. Or at least the rights-to-download it.
* told me to open TomTomHOME, insert Card, it reads card, then shows me the new USA_Canada Maps!!!!

I did have to do the dance of 'eject card', 'sign-out of TomTom', 'shut down TomTomHome' and he tried upload a couple of times but on lucky #3 it was there...
Guy was really helpful and patient. So was I. It was about 45min call.

2. Voice Recognition - here i got a little further. TomTom Customer service said the best bet is to call them when i'm in the car so they can hear how i'm giving my commands. I will do that if i have any more issues.
What helped was using the 'MICROPHONE' icon on the touch screen -vs- the 'SPEAK' button on the steering wheel.
* Using that ICON directly - i just got 3 out of 4 attempts.
** AND it asked me if it interpretted me correctly.
* Then i was able to say 'drive to favorite', it then showed me my favorites w/ numbers listed, it then asked which # i wanted or to 'page down'.

I also found good reference guide which i think is more thorough than the one provided in the glove box (i have to verify this) - so FYI: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manu...E-RG-en-us.pdf, starting on page 21.

Open Issue:
The issue i still have is periodic freeze of the screen. Even when i don't have any route planned and i'm in clear skies. My portable TomTom Go769 has no issues like this and i've never updated it or its maps in ~2.5yrs.
TomTom support said, screen freeze is a Mazda Issue and to make appointment with service. Wish me luck.

I'll experiment more w/ voice recognition...

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

At least here in NZ, there was a recall on the SD cards ( screen freeze) almost as soon as they arrived. If your having problems go visit your local Mazda dealer.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?