Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by lmabadie
I had the maps and the system updated. Even though some bugs were eliminated, others remain and also some new ones that I had not noticed before seem to have appeared. And the GPS directions are not good either, sometimes good directions and sometimes totally wrong! Mazda totally missed on the Navigation System and in general all the technology interfaces (radio, phone, door locks, trip information, lack of compass, windshield wipers controls) have issues, some of the really absurd and reveal lack of thinking and testing prior to release.
I agree completely with all your observations. Updating the Tom Tom thru their web site is a good way to waste most of a day and raise your blood pressure also. 2014 CX5 with tech package about 10K miles.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Default TomTom Software Updates

Originally Posted by Tom95134
I have a Garmin unit I use in My Prius and the Tom Tom just doesn't match the quality. But then Garmin and Magellan have had a long time to get things right.
UPDATE
Well, I have gone thru 4 software updates and finally the TomTom is getting near to my Garmin. Sadly, some of the features seem to be only included in the Maps Update $$$. As to the Updated Maps, these are now spread out over separate States so if I'm adding to Favorites the first thing you have to do is select the State before simply entering a Zip Code will locate the City. Very strange since the first 5 digits of a Zip Code are unique in locating cities.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:39 PM

I just emailed Mazda and HOPE they do a software update. I HOPE they listen. I have used Gps systems in an Acura I had and have one in my wife's CRV. They are easy and logical. I also have a Garmin. This is the worst Gps Nav system I have ever used in my life. Any chance of Mazda updating/fixing it as I know for a fact Honda did.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Default Forget about it

Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony
I just emailed Mazda and HOPE they do a software update. I HOPE they listen. I have used Gps systems in an Acura I had and have one in my wife's CRV. They are easy and logical. I also have a Garmin. This is the worst Gps Nav system I have ever used in my life. Any chance of Mazda updating/fixing it as I know for a fact Honda did.
Mazda has outsourced the NAV to TomTom, sending messages to Mazda will not work, will not work and will not work. Calling them and logging a ticket is just a stalling problem. All the flaws we have come up with and are asking to please fix them are ignored or rudely answered as: This was how it is supposed to work. Listen these devices, TomTom and CX5 is not new, the Mazda CX7 has the same radio unit and the same software, at least the service vehicle I get driven around in. It has the exact same issue as we have been talking about in the forums. The CX5 is still a VERY fun driving vehicle and over time my TomTom that I paid 700 bucks for will be replaced by another investment in a new head unit once they work properly. This Friday I was in rural Canada (near Kincardine and Walkerton area) and GPS just quit working with message it was trying to connect to GPS. I had to bring out the Android phone and fire up Google Maps to find my way properly. On the way back the stupid TomTom sends me through Port Elgin and took me roughly 180km to get home where the drive up it was 164km... Yeah some POS software, made in my former home country.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM

What you say about Mazda outsourcing the NAV to TomTom is true but that doesn't mean they they can avoid responsibility for the poor performance and features on the sub-system. The vehicle is a Mazda and the crappy NAV system reflects on Mazda and their careless selection and/or poor contract with the vendor.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tom95134
What you say about Mazda outsourcing the NAV to TomTom is true but that doesn't mean they they can avoid responsibility for the poor performance and features on the sub-system. The vehicle is a Mazda and the crappy NAV system reflects on Mazda and their careless selection and/or poor contract with the vendor.
Spot on. The point is Mazda had your (or your finance companies) money, and Mazda saw fit to install the Tom-Tom system, making it their responsibility.

Furthermore, if you paid an extra premium for Tom-Tom, once again that money went to Mazda.

We see in the UK the new Mazda 3 is not using Tom-Tom. I'm not sure if Mazda has abandoned altogether.

Alex

Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 AM

So Im doing my shopping for a CX 5. With all the Nav issues, should I just avoid the Technology package and have an after market installation of a GPS and a Satellite radio?
Is going this way asking for different trouble?
Thanks

Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Golfer727272
So Im doing my shopping for a CX 5. With all the Nav issues, should I just avoid the Technology package and have an after market installation of a GPS and a Satellite radio?
Is going this way asking for different trouble?
Thanks
Read about the issues in with the head unit in these forums as well. The only problem with an aftermarket unit is that the setup for your wipers, door locks, flash signal etc. is setup through the headunit and so far none of the aftermarkets have shown any proof of being able to handle this.

So it is not only the NAV that has many issues. I have tickets opened with Mazda Canada and nothing is being done. Keeping in mind that the head unit in a car becomes more and more integrated with the devices people use (Android Auto, CarPlay from Apple to name a few). I know this is maybe 2016 models, it is however sad that Mazda is dropping the ball on the current owners. Like how hard is it to work with Pioneer, or any brand, to add modules and software that will work with the Mazda models currently in production. I would gladly pay for a headunit / NAV upgrade if it were available and supported by Mazda.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Relatively new 2014 CX-5 owner (since November 2013).

I'm really disappointed with the new NAV/infotainment system. I've had it in for service 3 times. They've updated the Tom Tom twice.

Issues:
- Keeps losing the traffic bar (recovered once during a software update, recovered once during a maps update, currently missing).
- Lost the USB/voice control system (system locked on green screen saying "Connecting to Bluetooth phone" ... and never came back). Apparently this can be recovered by disconnecting the battery and essentially "resetting" the car. I guess the Mazda 6 has the same issue and also has a specific fuse which can be pulled to reset the system but the CX-5 doesn't have this "pull one fuse and reset" ability. Mazda service replaced the BlueTooth component. Apparently the BlueTooth/voice control/NAV systems are very tightly integrated so one will knock out the other.

I really liked having that traffic bar in the NAV system and I don't know what I'm going to do to get it back.

Does anybody know of a website that lists the manual frequencies which could be used for manually tuning the TMC-RDS frequency to be used (hopefully for the Boston area)?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM

So I am ready to get the cx5 GT but the nav system is bugging me.

Does anyone know, if I skipped the tech package, and waited for the new nav system to come out for the 2016 model, if I could then buy the head unit and install in the 2015 year and have everything working, wipers, lights, USB, etc without all the DIY I see people doing?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?