Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - Am I crazy?? Used 2013 CX-5 Sport with 133,000 miles on it

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Talking Advice - Am I crazy?? Used 2013 CX-5 Sport with 133,000 miles on it

I have been fawning over getting my very own Mazda CX-5 for the past year and there is finally one on sale here with 133k miles on it for $8750.00 It is a grey model with automatic. I have done an extended test drive on it for about 25 mins and aside from the engine (2.0) being under powered for this car, It really seems very tight and clean throughout.

My question to the community (many thanks in advance) is should I run and hide from this car? Am I crazy for wanting to buy essentially a 3 yr old car with 133k miles on it? The dealer has provided the carfax and it is 6 pgs long with all the correct mileage and 1 owner. From a maintenance point of view are there any MAJOR issues I need to look out for? Like Timing chain at 120k or the like? I have researched online and Mazda seems to only say inspect belts and flush tranny fluid at 120k.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 AM

Timing chain is good for the life of the vehicle; no worries there.

Regarding buying a car which has been driven thirty to fifty thousand miles per year since new, the odds are very-very high said miles are ninety percent or more highway miles, and as such, making the vehicle effectively younger than it's mileage might indicate. That said, $8,750 sounds a bit high.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Timing chain is good for the life of the vehicle; no worries there.

Regarding buying a car which has been driven thirty to fifty thousand miles per year since new, the odds are very-very high said miles are ninety percent or more highway miles, and as such, making the vehicle effectively younger than it's mileage might indicate. That said, $8,750 sounds a bit high.
Thanks for the response SHIPO. The range in KBB for that mileage is 7700-10,300 so its def not a smoking deal. But I get into the 13-15k range for most lower mileage CX-5's

Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM

I don't believe Mazda has any recommended service interval for the 6AT tranny. Be careful what you do with a transmission with that many miles. I would be very leery of "flushing" it. A more prudent approach would be to drop the pan and replace the filter along with whatever fluid you lose. What kind of maintenance/repairs does the 6 page Carfax report show?

BTW: A 2013 is "essentially a 4 year old" vehicle as most were built and sold in 2012 thanks to Mazda's crazy scheme of moving model year designations for the CX-5 up 6 months!

Last edited by paris1; 10-27-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Well its a used high mileage vehicle so something is bound to need to get fixed. I would check the serpentine belt and tensioner as well as the water pump belt. Make sure plugs were changed and check the cabin filter. Som people never change those things and the HVAC gets really rank.

ATF fluid replacement may help, but some old timers will tell you replacing ATF fluid at that mileage could cause more harm than good.

What do you plan on using the vehicle for?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CX5_Ryan
Well its a used high mileage vehicle so something is bound to need to get fixed. I would check the serpentine belt and tensioner as well as the water pump belt. Make sure plugs were changed and check the cabin filter. Som people never change those things and the HVAC gets really rank.

ATF fluid replacement may help, but some old timers will tell you replacing ATF fluid at that mileage could cause more harm than good.

What do you plan on using the vehicle for?
*** I bit the bullet and bought it! So far had it for about 1 week and running great. I probably don't need it but the dealer gave me a powertrain warrany at cost $1100. I wasn't able to find any 3rd party warranties online that covered anything above and beyond 110k miles. He said this will pick up and cover for the next 75,000 miles or 200k for the engine and transmission. I need to get a copy of the fine print to make sure how many yrs its covered if I don't drive it too much. I plan on using it for the next 2 yrs around town til the 2016' touring models come down a bit in price. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions. I am really glad I went for the CX-5 over the escape and tucson.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by salocin
*** I bit the bullet and bought it! So far had it for about 1 week and running great. I probably don't need it but the dealer gave me a powertrain warrany at cost $1100. I wasn't able to find any 3rd party warranties online that covered anything above and beyond 110k miles. He said this will pick up and cover for the next 75,000 miles or 200k for the engine and transmission. I need to get a copy of the fine print to make sure how many yrs its covered if I don't drive it too much. I plan on using it for the next 2 yrs around town til the 2016' touring models come down a bit in price. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions. I am really glad I went for the CX-5 over the escape and tucson.
Congrats!

Read that extended warranty real well. My sister bought an extended warranty on her car and it only covers expenses below $200! Anything beyond that was out of pocket.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:53 PM

I just traded in my 2013 CRV-EX with 154k for a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport. In fact I have yet to take delivery, so I hope I made a good purchase. I drive 1k miles per week and kept up all the maintenance religiously.

The dealer gave me $8500 for my car and charged $23,300 for the CX. I had a similar deal at another dealer @ $7500/$22,300. So you basically for the CX near wholesale. I think they took it in on trade and just wanted to move it without sending it to auction or South America. Good luck with the new to you car.