Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016 Touring Stereo Speaker Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Default 2016 Touring Stereo Speaker Cuts Out

Good morning,
We recently bought a new 2016 CX-5 Touring model and the last 2 days I've noticed that all but the right speakers cut out occasionally. It has happened when the Navigation system was on and off, although I don't see how the navigation system could cause some speakers to go out, and not others. It happens when music is playing as well as when the radio host is talking, and during commercials.
I read a review of the 2014 model on Edmonds.com that stated the same thing happened during their 1 year Road Test. They stated they had an appointment to have it looked at but as a far as I can tell, they didn't post a follow up with what the results were from the appointment.

Has anyone experienced this? It's more than a little disappointing. I researched these cars for 2 years before making the purchase, and am generally very happy with the car. The Navigation system, not so much. It's a complete pain in the neck to use the on-screen keypad to type in addresses, and I seriously wish there was a way to disable the ' Auto suggest' for addresses. Other than that I love the car.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions!

Last edited by lvlf; 06-25-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

I will assume the car has average mileage for a 2015 and is under warranty. I would take it to the dealership and explain your problem. They will work hard to repair it.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 AM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is a new 2016 Model, we've had it for less than 2 weeks, so the mileage is quite low, and it's Bumper-to Bumper coverage. The thought of taking it in so soon is really troublesome. If it's a known issue then the fix should be pretty straight forward, but if it is a one-off, what I don't want is to have them dig through the car for a week to end up telling me they can't find anything. I was hoping to hear from someone who has/ had a same issue that had a magical fix for this.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM

I've have experienced similar, but only while the navigation system is active (and I think this is how it's supposed to work).

When I have music playing, and the navigation active, the music on the drivers side is muted when the turn by turn directions come through. Once the voice directions stop, the music volume levels out again. This repeats until the end of the active route.

I have not had the music mute when the navigation system was turned off. Sounds like maybe there's a glitch in the nav. muting on your system?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by srad600
I've have experienced similar, but only while the navigation system is active (and I think this is how it's supposed to work).

When I have music playing, and the navigation active, the music on the drivers side is muted when the turn by turn directions come through. Once the voice directions stop, the music volume levels out again. This repeats until the end of the active route.

I have not had the music mute when the navigation system was turned off. Sounds like maybe there's a glitch in the nav. muting on your system?

Oh, that makes sense. I'll do another test, with the navigation on and off just to make sure. As I think back, I wonder if the nav was off, or if I just switched to a different screen. You have me wondering about my memory! I'll post back with the results. Thank you!

Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 PM

Its the Navigation system muting the left side ( driver side) intentionally so you can here the turn by turn instructions. It's an over-sight in my opinion but can eliminate it by muting the navigation.

They ( Mazda) only blew a few things with the 2016 CX-5. The lack of a automatic rear tailgate and the "sport button" are the others. Other than those the car is a 10

Old 06-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by montanaman
Its the Navigation system muting the left side ( driver side) intentionally so you can here the turn by turn instructions. It's an over-sight in my opinion but can eliminate it by muting the navigation.

They ( Mazda) only blew a few things with the 2016 CX-5. The lack of a automatic rear tailgate and the "sport button" are the others. Other than those the car is a 10

There is no actual 'mute' options, as far as I can tell, but I can turn the voice control volume down, however, even with the volume turned down on the Guidance, the radio drivers side speakers still turn off. I'm going to turn the nav off on my way home today to see what happens, but I used it on my way to work, and it seems that it is only cutting out when turn-by-turn activates the voice.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Interesting. I have not used the Navigation that much yet but if it cannot be muted and only turned down and it cut's that speaker than's a bit of a drag. I rarely use voice commands with the various nav systems I have. I'd rather glance at the screen which gives plenty of information..

Old 06-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Unhappy

On my 2015, all speaker volume decrease when the turn-to-turn-directions are spoken. Sounds like a quirk in your system. Interested in knowing what the dealer says.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:03 PM

The 2014 model has an entirely different head unit than the 2016 so I would be surprised if it was indeed a known issue on the 2016. I don't have the built in Nav on my 2016 Touring and haven't noticed any problem like this. The radio/stereo does mute when a connected phone is used (incoming or outgoing call) which you'd expect.

It may be just a loose wire or connection on the back of the head unit, and the dealer should be able to diagnose and fix it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Touring Stereo Speaker Cuts Out