Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Full-Size Spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Taz
Default Full-Size Spare tire?

Hello All,

Does anyone know if a full-size tire will fit in the spare tire well?

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Jack up your vehicle, remove 1 of your road wheels, see if it fits in the spare tyre well.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:10 AM

It fits in but the the floor / platform does not sit down tight.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Taz

Originally Posted by ColinX-5
It fits in but the the floor / platform does not sit down tight.
Thanks, ColinX-5, that's a much more helpful reply than the other one.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

FFS, What was wrong with my 100% simple answer? If you want to see if something fits, try it yourself. Very simple & smart idea.

Last edited by grim_reaper; 10-20-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Taz

The question wasn't "How do I find out if a full-size spare fits" - it was whether it would fit. I thought this was a forum where people with common interests shared information.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 PM

No, tried it already. Like someone already said, the floor won't seat properly on top of it.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

So in short, if you wanted to fit a full sized spare in the car you'd have to use a skinner wheel and tire of the same diameter/circumference as the factory tires.
I'm wondering why you are asking this question, and before you ask, no I'm not trying to be a smartass; do you live way out in the boonies where the space saving spare might not get you home? Where you may have to drive on it past it's useful life to get to a repair shop? Do you just not like mini-spares? I mean, I'm old school and can kind of understand why.
Fewer and fewer new cars are coming with anything like a full size spare. And with improvements in tire technology and manufacturing, some cars have none at all! Flats are ALMOST a thing of the past, and tires usually last much longer and are far safer than they were just a few years ago.
I know they are doing this for a number of reasons like, fuel economy, cost cutting, space saving, and to a lesser extent, handling.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1
So in short, if you wanted to fit a full sized spare in the car you'd have to use a skinner wheel and tire of the same diameter/circumference as the factory tires.
I'm wondering why you are asking this question, and before you ask, no I'm not trying to be a smartass; do you live way out in the boonies where the space saving spare might not get you home? Where you may have to drive on it past it's useful life to get to a repair shop? Do you just not like mini-spares? I mean, I'm old school and can kind of understand why.
Fewer and fewer new cars are coming with anything like a full size spare. And with improvements in tire technology and manufacturing, some cars have none at all! Flats are ALMOST a thing of the past, and tires usually last much longer and are far safer than they were just a few years ago.
I know they are doing this for a number of reasons like, fuel economy, cost cutting, space saving, and to a lesser extent, handling.
Flats are almost a thing of the past??? Seriously? As long as you have air filled rubber and sharp objects on the road, you'll have flats. I've always dumped the doughnut spare for a full size spare when possible..

Old 10-25-2015, 04:13 PM

couple of things here. i dont know much about the cx-5, but, if your car is awd, then it might be like my subaru, which has a donut spare. if i get a flat on one of the front tires, i have to take one of the rear tires and put it on the front, donut goes on the rear. then i pull a relay, and this disables the awd, and puts it in fwd mode. this is because all 4 tires must be within 3/32" of treadwear, or the center diff will blow. since i use this vehicle to deliver mail out in the boonies, i get flats all the time. i carry a full size spare, AND, a very large board to support the jack. ever try to jack up a car in the dirt/mud? aint gonna happen. i also carry a lot of flatseal. if the vehicle is awd, check your handbook to find out about the tires.

Quick Reply: Full-Size Spare tire?