Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 GT AWD low mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dmac43
My CX is in the shop indefinitely at this point until they can find the cause of my abysmal gas mileage. I'm driving a 2016 Mazda6 with the same engine and drive train and getting 28.6 Mpg around the same streets on which I drive my CX, and driven exactly the same way. Before the engineers start crying foul, yes the CX is a rolling brick as compared to the 6, but aero would only make a tremendous difference on the highway, not driving around town.
I'm still going to cry "foul". Why?
  • The Mazda6 weighs 3,250 while your CX-5 weighs 3,589, in excess of 10% more.
  • The Mazda6 is FWD while your CX-5 is AWD; there is a significant difference in drive train loss.
  • The FWD Mazda6 has an EPA rating of 38/30/26 (Highway/Combined/City), the AWD CX-5 has an EPA rating of 30/26/24.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, I don't think there is anything wrong with your CX-5 and I predict that's the conclusion your dealership will come to.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I'm still going to cry "foul". Why?
  • The Mazda6 weighs 3,250 while your CX-5 weighs 3,589, in excess of 10% more.
  • The Mazda6 is FWD while your CX-5 is AWD; there is a significant difference in drive train loss.
  • The FWD Mazda6 has an EPA rating of 38/30/26 (Highway/Combined/City), the AWD CX-5 has an EPA rating of 30/26/24.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, I don't think there is anything wrong with your CX-5 and I predict that's the conclusion your dealership will come to.
Incorrect sir...

My Mazda 6 had a custom front end with a molded fiberglass lip that increased the front end 115 lbs. It also had a speed 6 rear spoiler molded into the rear deck that increased the weight another 35 lbs. 18" Mazdaspeed wheels and tires as well..

Thus there is not a significant difference in weight.

Fuel economy for the 2007 Mazda6 was 32 highway, 24 city

My CX-5 is Front wheel drive, not 4 wheel drive

The official estimate on My CX-5 is 25/27/32 with 380 miles per tankful.

I get 19/21/26 with 295 miles per tankful.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...zda_CX-5.shtml

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 PM

We're going to have to agree to disagree; there is nothing wrong with your CX-5.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 PM

any news on the CX5 issue? im curious to see what they say...

Old 07-13-2016, 05:34 PM

The service manager is taking my car this weekend and driving it himself for the weekend. He said that he fully agrees with me that the car is not performing as it is supposed to.

I guess we'll see what happens...

Old 07-31-2016, 03:06 PM

My running avg is 29.9mpg
Fuelly: Sasha GT-AWD (Mazda CX-5) | Fuelly

If your driving habits are in order and your stealership says nothing's wrong, try something different such as using a different oil, an oil additive, different air filter such as K&N ( Hi Shipo :-)) different brand gas, run a fuel system additive too. None of these things will blow your engine. I do all the above and my running avg is higher than most. GL

Old 07-31-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sasha5
My running avg is 29.9mpg
Fuelly: Sasha GT-AWD (Mazda CX-5) | Fuelly

If your driving habits are in order and your stealership says nothing's wrong, try something different such as using a different oil, an oil additive, different air filter such as K&N ( Hi Shipo :-)) different brand gas, run a fuel system additive too. None of these things will blow your engine. I do all the above and my running avg is higher than most. GL
Oy vey, where to begin.

Yes, none of those things will blow your engine, just as none of those things will alter fuel economy (for better or worse). That said, things such as oil and fuel additives are expressly recommended against in the Owner's Manual, and should an engine problem develop, you may find yourself without warranty coverage.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dmac43
The service manager is taking my car this weekend and driving it himself for the weekend. He said that he fully agrees with me that the car is not performing as it is supposed to.

I guess we'll see what happens...
Well, what happened? Not fair cutting off the story before telling the end.

I'm curious.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM

It's not over yet, He took it and drove it, getting better mileage than me, but he again averaged 45 MPH rather than true stop and go / highway combined... He says something isn't right and wants me to drive it from full, and take pictures of the gauges when the light comes on. At this time, I'll get approximately 265 miles on the current tankful... and that is babying the car like grandma...

Old 08-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by shipo
Oy vey, where to begin.

Yes, none of those things will blow your engine, just as none of those things will alter fuel economy (for better or worse). That said, things such as oil and fuel additives are expressly recommended against in the Owner's Manual, and should an engine problem develop, you may find yourself without warranty coverage.
I'm cool with these huge, huge risks of not following the rules of the manual. My point is, if something's not working to your satisfaction, try something different. BTW, my economy has been improved an average of 5-7% on each vehicle I've owned, driving 30K per year for 20 years. That's 600,000 miles without any engine problems ever! No oil consumption ever! The world did not end and sun rises each morning. I know you'll tell me I'm wrong because it's your nature but I'll keep on taking these wild, insane, money-wasting risks until hell freezes over or until my Tesla S arrives next year whichever comes first.

Quick Reply: 2016 GT AWD low mileage?