Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 CX-5 Fuel Fill Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Exclamation 2015 CX-5 Fuel Fill Issue

I have had my CX-5 for a year now and really like it, except for one really frustrating issue. When I fill the gas tank, the automatic shutoff kicks out well before the tank is full. I have to hold the nozzle manually at a very low flow rate to fill the tank completely. I always put in another 3 GALLONS after the shutoff engages. This takes several minutes and is very aggravating. I now always calculate about how much gas I will need to fill up by looking at the average mpg and how many miles I drove since the last fill. After the third time I filled the tank and found this out, I took the vehicle to my dealer where they replaced the fuel pump, spilling gas on the floor of the rear seat area and causing me to keep all the windows open for about a week to clear out the smell. That repair also caused my fuel indicator and miles to empty to quit working! Had to take it back so they could replace the fuel indicator sending unit. Hopefully this is the only engineering screw up on this Mazda. Bottom line is if I didn't really like this vehicle, I would trade it in for something else.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 PM

I don't own a CX-5 so I never had the pleasure to fill one up. I know I can squeeze extra fuel into my 6 if I really wanted to, but don't. Fuel has a pretty hefty expansion rate. On a hot day, fuel coming out of the ground at 60F, will expand when it warms up in your tank. Force filling the tank, the expanding fuel, and some of what your pushing in extra, will find it's way to the EVAP system and destroy sensors and the charcoal in the canister.

This is the first I've heard of this complaint and my own interest is peaked. Have any other CX-5 owners reading this experienced similar problems? In the meantime, I'll take a look thru bulletins to see if I've missed something.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:18 AM

2016.5 model owner here. My problem is just the opposite of the OP. When I fill the tank and the gas pump cuts off it's fuller than any other car I have ever owned. If I try to just get it topped of to the nearest dime (don't even think about getting it to the nearest dollar) the tank overflows with gasoline dripping out the side. Anyone else experience this issue?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 PM

As I tried to explain, when the pump shuts off, your done. Hang up the nozzle. It's self control and a change of habit not to round off that dollar amount, but eventually, your could damage Evap components.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 PM

I have the same issue as the OP. Mine is a 2016 model and it always trips well before the tank capacity. I'm able to manually pump in extra 2-3 gallons without spilling over. I generally don't push the limit and stop. These days I don't even bother with the extra fuel as long it can pump in about 10 gal.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:35 AM
Default Up to 15 gallons plus gasoline refill.

Since new our 2014 GT FWD has had the same problem.
Usually able to add over 2 gallons and often 3 gallons s l o w l y
to the tank after initial pump click-off.
I once drove over 500 miles on a tank and at fill-up managed to put well over 15 gallons into the 14.8 gallon tank w/o spillage.
Most frustrating over the 2 1/2 years and 32,000 miles. Average 29 mpg having tracked all fuel on the free website FUELLY.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Keep in mind; by filling the tank up to the brim of the filler neck, expect an EVAP system failure sooner or later; probably sooner.

FWIW, the gas station our daughter usually uses to fill the Accord recently had a filler nozzle start failing to click off when the tank was nearing full, and as such, three fill-ups in a row the tank got filled to the very end of the filler neck. About a week after the third incident the CEL illuminated on the dash; the final repair to replace the charcoal cannister one one of the EVAP valves was nearly $500.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tomonly
Since new our 2014 GT FWD has had the same problem.
Usually able to add over 2 gallons and often 3 gallons s l o w l y
to the tank after initial pump click-off.
I once drove over 500 miles on a tank and at fill-up managed to put well over 15 gallons into the 14.8 gallon tank w/o spillage.
Most frustrating over the 2 1/2 years and 32,000 miles. Average 29 mpg having tracked all fuel on the free website FUELLY.
So you've insisted on overfilling (stuffing) the tank for 2.5 years while endangering the evap system (as someone else here pointed out), averaging 29 mpg (like every other CX-5 owner) and you're frustrated? Frustrated with what?

Old 07-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Default Valid points

Paris1 and shipo -
You both have valid points. Thank you for expressing them. My main concern is the time it takes to refuel and the lost range that another 2 or 3 gallons would provide - could get another 70 - 100 miles if the gasoline tank was FULL. Tom