Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Default Update

Went to Mazda today. Bluetooth fixed. iPod issue not. Apple/Mazda problem again no current fix or solution. Already have the upgrade nothing they can do so my "album" is stuck in a loop
Couldn't get loaner/rental for recall as dealers not officially notified and I don't have a letter. Claims my car is safe parts should be in within 2-4 wks.
Mazda is aware of iPod/Bluetooth issues not working on update !!!!!

Originally Posted by torpeau
Let us know the results. Really irritates that the iPod in my wife's '14 CX-5 probably works no better than the original one, maybe worse. Her son's '15 Mazda6 also performs poorly with the replacement module.

Other than that, the CX-5 is an excellent vehicle.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Default 2016 cx-5

I have a lease on a 2014-cx-5 which is up in a few months and I'm thinking of getting a 2016 GT but of course had the same ipod connectivity issues as others have. So I wrote to Mazda Canada:

"Hi I currently lease a 2014 Mazda CX-5 GS and as my lease is up this year I am considering leasing a 2016 CX-5 GT but it's the small problems that may cause me to look elsewhere. The audio system has always been a sore point with me as I have never been able to use my iPod Classic via the USB. I have read on mazda.ca and elsewhere that the iPod Classic is compatible with the 2016 model but that the audio system does not have the capability to allow theiPod to play from where it left off once you turn off the car. It always goes back to the start of the playlist on the device in alphabetical order. I have been in other vehicles where this is never a problem. Why does it seem to be an issue with Mazda? The whole point of connecting it via the USB is to allow you to see the song information on the screen; plugging in via the aux jack solves the playback problem but doesn't allow you to make the most of the audio system, which is kind of the whole point. So is this in fact the case? Are there still connectivity issues with the CX-5? Thanks."

Here was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting the Mazda Hands Free Support. We apologize that you're experiencing issues with the Bluetooth system in the 2014 CX-5. The reason for those issues in the 2014 CX-5 is due to a bad module; which there is a fix to resolve that issue by replacing the module. The 2016 CX-5 has a completely new and different system than the 2014 model. There is no USB connectivity issues in the 2016 CX-5. If you have any other questions or need further information, feel free to contact the Mazda Hands Free Support Line at 1-800-430-0153 Monday-Friday 7am-8pm CT."

So maybe the problem is fixed? I'm going to the Toronto Auto Show in two weeks so will check it out.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM

FYI my modules been replaced now the songs are stuck in a loop. No fix. Have to reach out to Mazda again. Paid too much to keep dealing with this.
Keep us updated

Old 02-06-2016, 07:44 AM

I've had some experience with the Bluetooth module in my '15 Mazda 6...

The first experience was fixed with the replacement module and the USB playback was fixed to keep from losing place in the song, playlist, etc.

Then, I had an experience where the entire left channel cut out and the phone connectivity was so bad that I couldn't use it for the duration of the 90 minute drive I had. Then, I changed lanes and, for a moment, it all came back on. I played a CD to verify I'd not blown the entire channel, and the USB was the only playback method that had the challenge. I didn't try Pandora and Sirius is so pitiful in general, I couldn't tolerate the ghosting and ridiculous sound quality, so my subscription has expired.

I was told that there are multiple bulletins that have been rolled up into one module/ part number, and the dealer replaced the module again, with the newest edition.

Interestingly, I had an airbag light come on, 5, I think, separate times, and the dealer finally replaced the clock spring in the steering wheel. Seemed to fix it. For now anyway.

I've never called Mazda USA support. I go to the dealer for any repairs. I've never even been tempted to call Mazda USA for any reason.

I'm very happy with the team at the Mazda dealer I work with. Sorry to hear some folks are very unhappy.

In case it helps!

And, hey! THIS FORUM HAS DONE A GREAT JOB GETTING THE WORD OUT ABOUT THESE ISSUES. Without the information from this forum, I'd have not known about the new module.

I drove a '16 Mazda 6 and the infotainment system is completely different. Same as the Mazda 3 from a couple of model years ago. It's nice, and I'm amazed the '15's came with a system that, while newer, is far inferior to the current model.

FWIW...

String

Old 02-06-2016, 03:02 PM

Agreed so thankful for this thread. I love Sirius so that's my go to but love the iPod and cd options. The module was fixed once and worked but this is a different playing/stuck issue. Mazda service has been good this isn't their fault but wish they would create a fix (Mazda).

Originally Posted by stringdriver
I've had some experience with the Bluetooth module in my '15 Mazda 6...

The first experience was fixed with the replacement module and the USB playback was fixed to keep from losing place in the song, playlist, etc.

Then, I had an experience where the entire left channel cut out and the phone connectivity was so bad that I couldn't use it for the duration of the 90 minute drive I had. Then, I changed lanes and, for a moment, it all came back on. I played a CD to verify I'd not blown the entire channel, and the USB was the only playback method that had the challenge. I didn't try Pandora and Sirius is so pitiful in general, I couldn't tolerate the ghosting and ridiculous sound quality, so my subscription has expired.

I was told that there are multiple bulletins that have been rolled up into one module/ part number, and the dealer replaced the module again, with the newest edition.

Interestingly, I had an airbag light come on, 5, I think, separate times, and the dealer finally replaced the clock spring in the steering wheel. Seemed to fix it. For now anyway.

I've never called Mazda USA support. I go to the dealer for any repairs. I've never even been tempted to call Mazda USA for any reason.

I'm very happy with the team at the Mazda dealer I work with. Sorry to hear some folks are very unhappy.

In case it helps!

And, hey! THIS FORUM HAS DONE A GREAT JOB GETTING THE WORD OUT ABOUT THESE ISSUES. Without the information from this forum, I'd have not known about the new module.

I drove a '16 Mazda 6 and the infotainment system is completely different. Same as the Mazda 3 from a couple of model years ago. It's nice, and I'm amazed the '15's came with a system that, while newer, is far inferior to the current model.

FWIW...

String

Old 02-07-2016, 06:21 AM

My experience with Sirius has been nothing short of "meh"... not sure what the reason is, but the consistent part of Sirius - again, in my experience - has been terrible sound quality.

Very R2D2-like digital "ghosting" in the audio. So much that I could only listen to broadcasts with spoken words, certainly not music.

Sirius offers a lot, but none of it fit with my preferences. And a paid subscription did not help me to avoid commercials.

Keep this thread alive by continuing to comment! I'm sure many Mazda owners have been helped by the information shared here.

The '16's system is different in that, the screen is just a screen... the brains are elsewhere, where in the '15 the screen and the brain are one unit.

Good stuff, these forums!

String

Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by stringdriver
Keep this thread alive by continuing to comment! I'm sure many Mazda owners have been helped by the information shared here.
Our '14 CX-5 is a very fine vehicle, but it is sad that they put such a poor unit in this car. It also went into the '15s and other Mazdas. Their fix didn't help.

Mazda's lack of interest in solving this problem makes them look bad!

Old 02-28-2016, 09:47 PM

Guys...since last week the audio system on my 2016 CX-5 Non-Bose system keeps shutting down and rebooting a couple times a day. Any ideas? I will try to disable the bluetooth to identify the root cause.
I'm reaching 3200 kms so I will try to stay this way until the 5000 kms service is due.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 PM

update - I had the replacement module done on my 2015 when it first came out and everything was great and now my IPOD won't work at all. I tried 2 of them and the 160GB won't do anything and eventually says IPOD error and the 30GB will play 1 song but it will hiss and cut out through most of it. I reformatted both IPODs but the same thing happens. I put a USB stick in and it works and plays songs but does not shuffle. My car is just out of warranty so I am not sure if they will update the system again under the TSB. I am thinking about getting an aftermarket and just being done with this POS but I'm not happy I have to put more money out on something I paid a premium for. Any recommendations for a new system? I want it to work with sirus, hands free, steering wheel controls and my IPOD and have garmin nav - I don't like how the TOM TOM works and I use an external GPS instead of the built in.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Just ditch the ipod.. slap your music on a usb stick and be done with it. I didn't care for the quality loss from bluetooth so I copied all the music on my phone to a usb stick. It works out great, sounds great, and unlike over bluetooth my album pictures load.In my last car I was using an aptX bluetooth reciever, so I was using my smart watch to control the music. My mazda3 '16 has all the controls on the wheel so I just stopped using my phone outright.

Last edited by JeffMD; 09-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD