Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 CX-5 Shut Down On Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Default 2013 CX-5 Shut Down On Freeway

I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5; 16 K miles. Yesterday on freeway the alarm system went off and the car completely shut down. The power steering ceased working and it was very difficult to maneuver to shoulder of road. A few minutes later a Highway Patrolman came and advised we move car off freeway. I restarted, the patrol car followed and we ramped off to a street . I called and had car towed to a Mazda dealership. Their diagnosis was the key fob battery was so weak it caused the previous mentioned scenario. They replaced battery and charged me $145 stating the diagnosis was not part of factory warranty.

Question: How could a weak key fob battery possibly cause the car to completely shut down while in motion? Has anyone had a similar experience?? Should I take the car to another dealership for review?

Thanks in advance..

Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Banned

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 and have never changed the battery in my key.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:22 AM

Batteries in our Toyota key fob need replacing about every 3 years. If you store them near a cell phone they'll be drained quicker.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Key fob/remote battery should cause any problems once the car is started. You can start the car, remove the remote/fob from the car and drive forever - until you run out of gas or turn the ignition off. I cant see any reason why it would cause the car to cut out / turn off.

I would have a word with the service manager, maybe use my comments. If no luck contact Mazda direct. ( I don't know where you are )

Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 AM

I had a very combative conversation with the service manager. Further research I discovered the dealership has a very poor service reputation. I am going to take the car to another dealership. I was charged $145 for diagnostics which you pointed out could not have caused the car to shut down. Therefore the problem still exists..

Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Key fob/remote battery should cause any problems once the car is started. You can start the car, remove the remote/fob from the car and drive forever - until you run out of gas or turn the ignition off. I cant see any reason why it would cause the car to cut out / turn off.

I would have a word with the service manager, maybe use my comments. If no luck contact Mazda direct. ( I don't know where you are )
You mean shouldn't

I too have had problems at a dealership and switched!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 AM

Since last post this is what I discovered. When I originally purchased the car in 2012 I purchased an alarm system from the dealer. I discovered after the purchase when the alarm would go off for no reason that it was NOT a factory alarm but an after market alarm. The dealer still took responsibility at the time for the alarm and fixed the alarm from going off. When I towed the car in I discovered the dealership was sold and the new regime washed their hands of the alarm system and gave me a toll free number for the after market company. What a nightmare..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

So you think the alarm may of killed the car?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Yes I do. I am not sure who to approach. Mazda customer service? As I stated the current dealership takes no responsibility for the alarm system even though they know I paid Mazda not the aftermarket company for the alarm system and even after the former owners troubleshot the system when it malfunctioned. Any advice??

Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Let us know the name of the dealership please, so we can avoid it.

Quick Reply: 2013 CX-5 Shut Down On Freeway