Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 cx-5 low frequency booming noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:24 AM
Question 2013 cx-5 low frequency booming noise

I got a used 2013 cx-5 a month ago and there are 2 things I don't like about.
First is engine vibration when idle. It's pretty rough often times and sometimes the vibration gets die down.
Second issue is the booming noise that sounds like a continuous low frequency base from a subwoofer speaker or something. This happens when driving slowly.

Other than those issues, the car drives pretty well and smooth.

I took the car to a local dealership and got the car inspection done and the result was good, no mechanical issues found. They also checked the motor mount and there was nothing wrong with it.
They said the vibration is normal and it is because of 4-cylinder. I don't know if that is the real reason. However they didn't notice the booming noise while driving my car around inside the dealership. When I certainly heard the noise, the serviceman who was driving my car didn't know what I was talking about.

I again took the car to a local repair shop and asked the guy to test drive. After he came back and said, 'That is what it is. There is nothing wrong. Just try to ignore'. There was nothing he could do.

I really want to like the car. Well, I can actually deal with the vibration but I can't stand the booming noise and it drives me nuts.
I didn't want to give up and I can't because I just bought it. So I researched a bit and found this one information below:

am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/mazdaesi/index?page=detail_pagelet&id=SH8655

It is about 2014 model, mine is 2013.
At this point, I would like to know if the booming noise is caused by non-existence of the balancer unit but I have no idea if my 2013 cx-5 has the balancer unit or not. If not, I guess that is the reason I am dealing with the booming noise then?

Or the noise can be cause by something else?

Any ideas what I can do to fix the issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mileage:43000
No accident.
Car was 3-year leased before I purchased.

Last edited by tomnb; 07-31-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 PM

I have a 2013 CX-5 with 30k miles and I have absolutely no idea what kind of low speed booming noise you're talking about. I have been on 2 CX-5 forums for almost four years and have never heard of such a thing. I'm not saying you're not hearing something, just that there are only two possibilities. 1. There is something mechanically wrong with the car that no one is picking up on or 2. You are particularly sensitive to a particular sound frequency.
I suspect the vibration you refer to may be at cold start-up for the first 20-30 seconds when the engine is in cold start mode and is supposed to be rougher/louder than normal. Read your owners manual to learn more about this.
And as for the balance shaft, the 2.0 ltr engine in your 2013 does not have or need this feature. Traditionally it is used on four cylinder engines (all of which, by nature, suffer from some degree of secondary imbalance) of 2.4 ltr or greater. Hence its inclusion on the larger 2.5 ltr engine used from 2014 onward.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:22 PM

Yeah.. maybe there are some mechanical problems that haven't been found yet. The vibration is not just from the cold start-up. Its there anytime when the car is idle. Thanks for clarifying my question about the balance shaft.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:54 PM

I also don't hear the booming issue but I have to agree in regards to the engine idle. After many years of driving/owing vehicles, I have come to realize that as long as the car is being maintained properly and runs fine, ignore everything else until the car stops running, then get it fixed.

It also helps to blast the stereo to mask whatever sounds ugly, but that may be generational.

Enjoy your CX-5. They amazing for what they are.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:43 PM

Did you find the solution for it? I think my car has same issue.